Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

9 hours ago, weller54 said:

IMG-20181003-WA0006.jpg

I'm sick with the media talking about 'A big 6' and including Bottling Hotspuds. They have absolutely no right to be classed as such. They are just lucky to be in a highly populated area so have a huge fan base to pick from.

If you actually look at their record it's not that special since the 60's, and taken from the 90's, it's utterly dreadful what it supposed to be a 'top 6 club'. They have not come close to winning the Premier league or reached a decent finish in the Champions League. 

Take out their very lucky league cup win against us, that's nearly 30 years with nothing!

And if they are talking about past glories, why are not Sunderland, or Newcastle, or Huddersfield, or Sheffield Wednesday, top 6 clubs? Even Burnley and Preston North End have won the top league as many times as Spuds!

When will the media start to realise they are not actually that special at all?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I'm sick with the media talking about 'A big 6' and including Bottling Hotspuds. They have absolutely no right to be classed as such. They are just lucky to be in a highly populated area so have a huge fan base to pick from.

If you actually look at their record it's not that special since the 60's, and taken from the 90's, it's utterly dreadful what it supposed to be a 'top 6 club'. They have not come close to winning the Premier league or reached a decent finish in the Champions League. 

Take out their very lucky league cup win against us, that's nearly 30 years with nothing!

And if they are talking about past glories, why are not Sunderland, or Newcastle, or Huddersfield, or Sheffield Wednesday, top 6 clubs? Even Burnley and Preston North End have won the top league as many times as Spuds!

When will the media start to realise they are not actually that special at all?

They constantly finish in the top 6 though, more recently top 4.

Spurs are lacking in silverware and certainly not a 'big' club. But after the past 10 years, I think Spurs certainly get put ahead of Sunderland and PNE if you get asked who the top 6 premier League clubs are...

22 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

They constantly finish in the top 6 though, more recently top 4.

Spurs are lacking in silverware and certainly not a 'big' club. But after the past 10 years, I think Spurs certainly get put ahead of Sunderland and PNE if you get asked who the top 6 premier League clubs are...

Actually the top six Premier League clubs are Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester City, & Blackburn Rovers. The only six to have won it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Yeah I remember checking their promotion odds after they beat us in the pre season game. Boro, Villa and Derby were definitely ahead of them in the market from what I remember. 

That's the bookies!!!  Pundits TV & sporting media and fans had them in the top 3...

41 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Actually the top six Premier League clubs are Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester City, & Blackburn Rovers. The only six to have won it!

That might play well on here but it isn’t relevant - we are trying to create a top seven ! 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/869746?sf199277992=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Interesting article on Marko Arnautovic's recent revival as a player having been switched to a centre forward by of all people Daid Moyes!

We have West Ham coming up soon and given they've had a revival recently, it will be interesting to see how we get on against them.

14 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I completely agree it's never had anything like the credit it deserved. Make no mistake that was a team that had just had the ultimate hammer blow and thought our chance has completely gone to go up now and it's going to take us years - I'm not even going overboard when I think after that Watford game it would take maybe even until the last couple of years to have even got ourselves ready to go up again.

You had Pearson as favourite for the sack with plenty of fans still against him after the way we'd gone to bits in the second half of the season. Drinkwater largely written off, Vardy almost totally written off with plenty (me included) saying they were happy to loan him to Sheffield Wednesday because it saves us some of the wages, a loss of a number of loanees and still having some of Sven's high earners on our books.

To come back and get 102 points, including winning 9 in a row, god knows how many late goals, ending QPR & Burnley's unbeaten home runs (in December and March respectively), winning over 30 games, even making the League Cup quarters beating Premier League Fulham, playing in my eyes genuinely entertaining football was a phenomenal effort. We weren't a possession dominating side (most of the time) but we were absolutely superb to watch on the break at times, I'm amazed our biggest win was 4-1. That Derby performance I think was, other than the Man City win in the title year, the best 90 minute performance I've ever seen from us. I'm not exaggerating when I say we could've scored 8 or 9, and that was not a bad Derby side at all - they haven't bettered that season since.

That season largely gets forgotten due to what's happened since but it was an amazing experience, and the ultimate reason I'm probably a bit biased towards Pearson.

Hear Hear. All of this, That season was the season I fell in love with Pearson as a manager.

One thing that's forgotten though is how we played, we were Barca like in a lot of games, just camped high up the pitch dominating possession and wingplay from Dyer and Schlupp cutting defensive teams to shreds. I honestly think people have forgotten how good we were to watch, we just blew teams away. Of course that style didn't work in the PL, we got done time and time again on the counter and then began the transition to fast paced counter attacking with a much deeper line.

• Like 1

2013/14 was an incredible season never to be forgotten. Faded because of two years later, sure, but man, like others have said this season was all about the utter dominance we had. I remember the fury when the team was announced before the opening game against Boro, I remember the fury when we were 1-0 down at half time against Boro. And then. And then... The crazy 5-3 v Bolton, demolishing Derby 4-1 and then sneaking a last minute winner away at Leeds. The squirrel at QPR, Mahrez smashing his first goal in against Blackpool, the last minute Schmeichel goal-but-not-officially-his-goal and the pitch invasion on the last day against Doncaster.

Football was fun again. The heartache of previous seasons was back and I guess for many the joy we all felt in 08/09 had returned and this time we made it back to the PL. Those memories are so burned into me just as much as the endless list of moments from April-May 2015 and then August 2015-May 2016.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

2013/14 was an incredible season never to be forgotten. Faded because of two years later, sure, but man, like others have said this season was all about the utter dominance we had. I remember the fury when the team was announced before the opening game against Boro, I remember the fury when we were 1-0 down at half time against Boro. And then. And then... The crazy 5-3 v Bolton, demolishing Derby 4-1 and then sneaking a last minute winner away at Leeds. The squirrel at QPR, Mahrez smashing his first goal in against Blackpool, the last minute Schmeichel goal-but-not-officially-his-goal and the pitch invasion on the last day against Doncaster.

Football was fun again. The heartache of previous seasons was back and I guess for many the joy we all felt in 08/09 had returned and this time we made it back to the PL. Those memories are so burned into me just as much as the endless list of moments from April-May 2015 and then August 2015-May 2016.

The shame is not that pundits/media/outside fans forget.......

but many city fans with ,foxestalk forum,forgets the achievements of that season,then throw in the great Escape.

what during those years Pearson built.....including the whole BRoom staff,and organistion.

Even though under Ranieri we won the title....He dispersed then dep!e ted. By his 2nd season all that was excellent with modern

technical know-how in B.Room support..That took years to gather and build...

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I'd actually go as far as saying I enjoyed that season even more than winning the title. It was so unexpected given what happened the year before. There was much less attention on us from media and neutrals (mates, acquaintances, distant family members) and the achievement was of course far less but you just felt certain we'd win every game even if we went behind and we almost always did. We were just so much better than every other team and won the league in absolute style - we were the Man City of the Championship that year. Plus we beat numerous 'bogey' teams and got so many monkeys off our back.

Winning the PL was different, a lot more nerves, didn't enjoy lots of the games due to this although the payoff was of course massive after months of tension.

On 04/10/2018 at 09:20, fuchsntf said:

That's the bookies!!!  Pundits TV & sporting media and fans had them in the top 3...

They really weren't talked about anymore than a Villa or Boro mate. If anything I seem to remember plenty talking about them being the next QPR/ Pompey. 

6 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Considering the players West Ham bought in the summer, they look bloody rubbish. 

Losing 1-0 to Brighton currently. 

They looked good last week against Man U.   

Are Brighton better coached ?

42 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Both of these teams CAN play well, but are too inconsistent to know one week to the next what you're going to get from them. 

A bit like 14 other teams,in the PL...Wolves n Foxes alike..

• Like 2