Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Couldn't have gone much better really, Wolves losing and a couple of draws just below us. 

I don't think the results could have gone much better if we had asked!

I am really surprised at Bournemouth, of all the teams we've played this season I'd argue they were one of the best! Whilst we were dire that day, they gave us a right tonking, with both of their forwards causing chaos and Francis looking terrific. I must confess I haven't seen them play much other than that game, but they always seemed like a solid and entertaining team. What's going wrong for them?

Anyway I'd have to say that as dull as our football often is, that solid base pays dividends. Not conceding many is why we've climbed the table, same as how we won the title. We have two players in the top 5 for tackles made this season (Ricardo is number 1, Ndidi is number 4) and the 433 has kept the scores down even against some of the most attacking sides in the division.

The only slight worry for me is that this has last season written all over it when we were 7th and had Europe in our own hands, only to shoot ourselves in the foot repeatedly with poor home form and that dreadful away performance at Turf Moor! But to be honest even if we don't get Europe I think this season is still looking good. The team has been rejuvenated, we have two of the best right backs in the division and now we have the best haircut in the division too! lol

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Updated form table... Watford, Everton and Bournemouth. Euuugh.

Wasn't there a post three weeks ago bumming the progress they've made and the lack of progress we've made. 

Only Liverpool conceded less, Bournemouth conceded 18 more ha ha. If we can get some attacking talent in to contribute going forward we are onto a winner!

IMG_5258.PNG

Joint fewest goals though! It's hard to tell if we're in good form or not as we've been a bit weird recently lol 

Obviously the results are good but they've been unexpected 

Just now, SAFC1 said:

Huddersfield are gone. 

Absolutely.  I think the other two spots are up for grabs. I love Claudio and my brother used to support Fulham when he lived in London so I'm rooting for them as long as they are not playing us. Not looking good though.

Worried that Southampton will come to us and just be content with a draw. We could struggle to break them down

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Joint fewest goals though! It's hard to tell if we're in good form or not as we've been a bit weird recently lol 

Obviously the results are good but they've been unexpected 

Eh, would matter more if we didn't have the second best defence in the league after the league leaders.

Edited by Beechey
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Beechey said:

Eh, would matter more if we didn't have the second best defence in the league after the league leaders.

Well long term it does, eventually we need to start scoring more than once a game more frequently 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The more I look at Puel and the situation he's inherited, more and more I'm reminded of what Pearson inherited and how he went about it second time around.

Squad full of expensive flops and replaced many with young and hungry players. Made unpopular decisions at the time, not playing certain players or replacing "names" with untried lesser known players. Believed in building a solid defense first and worked from there. Rumours of squad unrest because of how he isolated certain players and moved them away from the squad. Was strong minded, had a clear plan and believed in what he was doing and wouldn't bend from that.

All the negativity in the end was totally unfounded. Fingers crossed this goes the same way.

I just pray he can sort the attacking side of things with a few new players. Going to be an interesting couple of windows.

You are right there are lots of spooky parallels! We spent big money on Matt Mills and Jermaine Beckford et all, but in the end it was the spine of Kasper, Wes / Was, Drinks / James and Nugent with a spice of Dyer and Knocky that got us up. It was a team with character rather than a series of names.

But we do have to get the attacking side right. Last season it was home form that let us down, and it's hard at this moment in time to see us rectifying it. If the Saints park the bus, how are we going to break them down? We drew 0-0 with them last season too.

As you say, it will take a few windows to be solved, if it can be solved at all.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

You are right there are lots of spooky parallels! We spent big money on Matt Mills and Jermaine Beckford et all, but in the end it was the spine of Kasper, Wes / Was, Drinks / James and Nugent with a spice of Dyer and Knocky that got us up. It was a team with character rather than a series of names.

But we do have to get the attacking side right. Last season it was home form that let us down, and it's hard at this moment in time to see us rectifying it. If the Saints park the bus, how are we going to break them down? We drew 0-0 with them last season too.

As you say, it will take a few windows to be solved, if it can be solved at all.

Pearson was no attacking genius, he just had an idea of the sort of players he liked and when they got out together we ripped it up.

Puel hasn't been able to buy a single out and out striker or CM of his own yet. And rachid looks like a clear last minute panic on the wing after we couldn't get in our first choices.

If we can get those three positions sorted with players who can offer as much as Ricardo and Maddison have, that side of it will improve, even if it's just enough to add a bit more consistency.

We shall see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Good to see Wolves, our Europa League competitors, losing. We want the poisoned chalice of the potential Europa League spot, right?

unlike some of those before us in 7th some of our players have actually played in europe and did quite well in my opinion

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Good to see Wolves, our Europa League competitors, losing. We want the poisoned chalice of the potential Europa League spot, right?

That's my concern too. If we had the squad and a realistic chance of winning it, I'd be more than happy. But starting in the summer with stretched resources? 

6 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

That's my concern too. If we had the squad and a realistic chance of winning it, I'd be more than happy. But starting in the summer with stretched resources? 

We always start the season so sluggish, maybe having competitive matches instead of the normal preseason would actually help us? 

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

The more you look at the season, the more and more baffling it becomes that Puel is so divisive.  We are on target for one of the best 10% of finishes in the 100 + year history of our club, and with one of the youngest squads we have ever had.  I still can't fathom the negativity for the life of me.  X

i spend all week thinking this tbf, then i watch us play and i can fully understand why it seems like everyone absolutely hates the bloke 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The more I look at Puel and the situation he's inherited, more and more I'm reminded of what Pearson inherited and how he went about it second time around.

Squad full of expensive flops and replaced many with young and hungry players. Made unpopular decisions at the time, not playing certain players or replacing "names" with untried lesser known players. Believed in building a solid defense first and worked from there. Rumours of squad unrest because of how he isolated certain players and moved them away from the squad. Was strong minded, had a clear plan and believed in what he was doing and wouldn't bend from that.

All the negativity in the end was totally unfounded. Fingers crossed this goes the same way.

I just pray he can sort the attacking side of things with a few new players. Going to be an interesting couple of windows.

Spot on, we knew during Pearson's second spell here that it was going to take some time. No one probably remembers now but he transformed a poor, ageing and expensive relegated outfit in Hull and turned them into a solid outfit with mainly young and hungry ex- Man utd youngsters like Chester,Brady,Stewart etc back in 2010-11 and gave them the platform for them to get promoted a season before we did !!

Same thing happened with Puel. Did the dirty work behind the scenes and gave a side like Lille the platform to win ligue 1 in 2011 although he left 2/3 years before that success. He's building a good structure which will help us in the long-term there's no doubt about it.