Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Top bants from an Arsenal fan

image.jpeg.89fd3c91b294851d5dd6961276139cad.jpeg

Having said that - Arsenal, they of "never being in the race at all and could struggle to get Champions League". Like when they asked our boys "Who are ya" - champions, that's who. Let them both continue setting their sights on just finishing above each other.

That is exactly where Man Utd and  Chelsea,can keep above them,if such mentality filters down to the players,wrong game arrogance!!!

Could allow ambitious clubs,like Wolves/Watford/Everton or ourselves to take advantage of those arguing neighbours,by stealing in,and

nicking 1 or both positions....next season..God that would make an old man happy!!

Edited by fuchsntf

11 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Who? They’ll get a decent manager in but their current level of over performance isn’t sustainable with their budgets 

So you are expecting them to fade over the next few seasons..

They do have some youngsters coming through,plus they always tend to find 4 quality players from 6 on the transfer markets without

Going too excessive...Their catchment area and tradition will always interest good players....

That backbone of  business will see them through shakey periods..surely!!! There new ground costs ,no matter poor budgetting,will

Not bound them....PL-money with high finish will tick them over,plus a shock in the Cl will bring its advantages..

Edited by fuchsntf

13 hours ago, AjcW said:

Been meaning to say this for a while, but James Milner is a severely underrated player. Just a proper footballer. Gives 100% and is so vital to this Liverpool team at the minute! 

Its a a shame he quit England really... he could have been the missing piece in 2018, and he’d be a real help for the young lads going into 2020. 

I think moaning minnies,from other clubs,including this one have always underrated him...

one of the best International and club utility players,around in the last 15+ years!!! Simply an asset to have.

he was good at other clubs,but I'pool completed his education and rounded him off...

I always rated him...more than I did Henderson. Good along the bline,as a sweeper,and a good defending or attacking Wback...

if I picked a squad he would always be in it!! And he's scored some great goals...from various starting positions.

not too sure but I first saw him as a raw,but great attacking fb for Leeds then Newcastle!!

He has had a top & honest-profi  career,Both for club and country. Another proof that fans shouldn't ditch any players too soon,he went

also through a bad period,mainly due to nagging injuries...but always turned up for all his clubs...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Top bants from an Arsenal fan

image.jpeg.89fd3c91b294851d5dd6961276139cad.jpeg

Having said that - Arsenal, they of "never being in the race at all and could struggle to get Champions League". Like when they asked our boys "Who are ya" - champions, that's who. Let them both continue setting their sights on just finishing above each other.

All credit to Spurs, St Totteringhams Day is now a thing of the past.

However, may I point out, it has been replaced by a new tradition … proudly initiated by ourselves in 2016:

2016.JPG.13160c878aa1324ff03770819e4214c5.JPG

The annual Fighting Cock “close that f***ing title race thread” post.

A bit early this year, it fell on February 27.

DelSpurs.JPG.d8c12c8011a75d6b51cec6f94a89fc08.JPG

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Who? They’ll get a decent manager in but their current level of over performance isn’t sustainable with their budgets 

If Pochettino wanted to go, wouldn't he have left for Real Madrid in the summer? I think he'll stay for a while longer myself.

14 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If Pochettino wanted to go, wouldn't he have left for Real Madrid in the summer? I think he'll stay for a while longer myself.

Been thinking about this. There's a real mystique around Poch. When Spurs win it's because he's a brilliant manager. When they lose it's because the players are bottlers. He never seems to come under any fire whatsoever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Been thinking about this. There's a real mystique around Poch. When Spurs win it's because he's a brilliant manager. When they lose it's because the players are bottlers. He never seems to come under any fire whatsoever.

I think that he doesn't come under fire because there is a continual sense that they are overachieving (whether it's true or not, I don't know) so it doesn't make sense to accuse the manager of not overachieving enough. The players can be blamed individually however.

Certainly I don't think he's faultless, but really I've only found three problems I can think of:

1. Tactically he is not very flexible within a game, he doesn't react well to certain things

2. He is too loyal to his squad

3. He rushes Harry Kane back too early from injury continually and it affects the entire team.

Edited by Nicolo Barella

Ponch is a good manager. His team is definitely overachieving, and he gets credit for that. He could probably be more adaptable than he is, but the fact is, he generally gets good performances within his system even when he’s missing key pieces. I loathe the way Spurs constantly do their Neymar Jr, act, and Ponch probably gets blame for that too. But on balance. You have to give credit where it’s due.

Edited by Deeg67

On 01/03/2019 at 05:27, Nicolo Barella said:

Got a feeling he's finally realised this squad just isn't capable of winning when it matters. That "10 years" comment seemed a bit of a giveaway, and I think he'll move on at the end of the season so he can go somewhere he'll get financial backing and get some silverware

I'm not sure Spurs are overachieving. If Chelsea win their game in hand, Spurs are only 5 points clear of sixth place. Chelsea and Arsenal have both blown really hot and cold this season, Man Utd had a dreadful start to the season and they're all breathing down Spurs' neck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Harry Kane is a big spoilt baby and the fa keep indulging him. They have let him claim goals that he clearly never touched and deny headbutts that he clearly did.

When Alan Shearer was England captain, didn't he get away with a few things too? (Remember the non punishment by the FA from that Neil Lennon kick?).

Some players get away with a hell of a lot more than others. And it is usually the same bigger clubs that get away with it.

Pochettino is obviously a very good manager but it is hard to say he is great while he hasn’t won anything. My biggest question mark with him is that he has never addressed the sides poor discipline when things start going against them. It is three years since the battle of Stamford bridge and you could clearly see that it is still there on Wednesday night against Chelsea and it has surfaced on other occasions too. They badly need better leadership on the pitch if they want to get closer than almost there.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says if expectations change at the club they may need to find "another magic guy" to deliver regular Premier League and Champions League titles.

Pochettino is aiming for his fourth consecutive top-four finish to meet the club's specific aim of Champions League football for their new 62,000 capacity stadium.

Third-placed Spurs host North London rivals Arsenal on Saturday [12:30 GMT] on the back of consecutive Premier League defeats to Burnley and Chelsea.

The Argentine has accepted that challenging Liverpool and Manchester City for the title is now "impossible"; while Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea have closed the gap as the competition for a top-four spot increases.

"My doubt is not about my future here," said Pochettino. "After five years, I really believe we do a fantastic job for the club.

"If now the expectation is that it is not enough to play well, be a contender for top four and be in the Champions League for the third year in a row, if now the obligation is that it is compulsory to win a title because we are doing so well, you need to compare with other teams.

"In that comparison, you can be fair or unfair in your opinion. People judge us and put pressure on us if we have not won a trophy. Is that fair or not fair?

"If we compete with the same tools or different tools? If we [are] at the same level or not?

"Because we are not going to change the way we operate."

Spurs have been playing at Wembley for the past 18 months while they build their new ground. They have not made a signing during the last two transfer windows and operate on a lower wage budget than their top-six rivals.

Phil McNulty: 'Tottenham Hotspur - it's happened again'
"The job that the club is doing is fantastic because with Brexit, with the position of the pound with Europe, I think the cost of building the new stadium [has increased] 30-40 per cent," Pochettino said.

"Arrive to the new stadium in very good condition - I think that is more than winning a title, more than winning a Carabao Cup.

"We are talking about bigger things than winning a trophy. Of course we'd like to win a trophy.

"We like to feel, to lift some trophy - the FA Cup, the Carabao Cup, the Premier League, the Champions League, of course.

"But the responsibility of the club is massive.

"I cannot change opinions and everyone can judge us in a different way. That's why I told you that, maybe if Daniel [Levy - Spurs chairman] said to me next season, 'We need to win a title, we need to win the Champions League and we need to win the Premier League', then maybe you need to find another magic guy who can do this."

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says if expectations change at the club they may need to find "another magic guy" to deliver regular Premier League and Champions League titles.

Pochettino is aiming for his fourth consecutive top-four finish to meet the club's specific aim of Champions League football for their new 62,000 capacity stadium.

Third-placed Spurs host North London rivals Arsenal on Saturday [12:30 GMT] on the back of consecutive Premier League defeats to Burnley and Chelsea.

The Argentine has accepted that challenging Liverpool and Manchester City for the title is now "impossible"; while Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea have closed the gap as the competition for a top-four spot increases.

"My doubt is not about my future here," said Pochettino. "After five years, I really believe we do a fantastic job for the club.

"If now the expectation is that it is not enough to play well, be a contender for top four and be in the Champions League for the third year in a row, if now the obligation is that it is compulsory to win a title because we are doing so well, you need to compare with other teams.

"In that comparison, you can be fair or unfair in your opinion. People judge us and put pressure on us if we have not won a trophy. Is that fair or not fair?

"If we compete with the same tools or different tools? If we [are] at the same level or not?

"Because we are not going to change the way we operate."

Spurs have been playing at Wembley for the past 18 months while they build their new ground. They have not made a signing during the last two transfer windows and operate on a lower wage budget than their top-six rivals.

Phil McNulty: 'Tottenham Hotspur - it's happened again'
"The job that the club is doing is fantastic because with Brexit, with the position of the pound with Europe, I think the cost of building the new stadium [has increased] 30-40 per cent," Pochettino said.

"Arrive to the new stadium in very good condition - I think that is more than winning a title, more than winning a Carabao Cup.

"We are talking about bigger things than winning a trophy. Of course we'd like to win a trophy.

"We like to feel, to lift some trophy - the FA Cup, the Carabao Cup, the Premier League, the Champions League, of course.

"But the responsibility of the club is massive.

"I cannot change opinions and everyone can judge us in a different way. That's why I told you that, maybe if Daniel [Levy - Spurs chairman] said to me next season, 'We need to win a title, we need to win the Champions League and we need to win the Premier League', then maybe you need to find another magic guy who can do this."

Doesn't sound like he's leaving any time soon to me tbh. 

45 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Looking at the league table - A Cardiff win vs Wolves & Newcastle win vs West Ham would suit us nicely today.

Both are quite plausible, too. Wolves seem to have the same disease as us; they choke against the minnows of the league. Newcastle are in excellent form and West Ham are, as usual, distinctly meh. We could be 2 points off 7th after this Gameweek is over!

• Like 1

Baffling team selection from Emery. No Torreira, Ozil or Aubameyang. I can understand the last two to a certain degree but surely Torreira is the sort of player you need in these kind of games

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

Jenas really is unbearable ain't he! Spurs weren't much worse than Chelsea in.the week. Is that the same Spurs that didn't have a shot on target all game?

Honestly his interpretation of football punditry is almost childlike

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Jenas really is unbearable ain't he! Spurs weren't much worse than Chelsea in.the week. Is that the same Spurs that didn't have a shot on target all game?

Honestly his interpretation of football punditry is almost childlike

In his defence, basically every pundit becomes child like when "their" team is in discussion.

But he has 2 levels, either great or a moron

• Like 1