Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

What a bizarre comment. Our owners easily passed all the tests by both the EFL and PL, as did their relationship with Mendes. Their combined business assets are worth $60b+. They make over a billion profit every year from a huge portfolio of investments in the likes of Club Med and Cirque De Solei. 

We're not talking some front for dodgy investors like Tony Xia here!

The Fit and Proper rule is one thing. FFP is another. Because of the links you now have you could be looked at. FFP can even say a sponsorship deals over inflated if its tied to the owners.

You may be doing nothing wrong but you will be looked at. If sporting win the £48m you could be in a serious mes.

Edited by sylofox

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

The Fit and Proper rule is one thing. FFP is another. Because of the links you now have you could be looked at. FFP can even say a sponsorship deals over inflated if its tied to the owners.

You may be doing nothing wrong but you will be looked at. If sporting win the £48m you could be in a serious mes.

You can't get into a mess with FFP in the Prem purely on transfer fees because of amortisation and the TV money offsets it far too easily. It's only wage bills that get you into trouble nowadays. Newly promoted clubs have to start with a max of £67m and you only add £7m per season to that, unless you can offset any extra with player sales or other incoming revenue. Our wage bill was roughly £40m before the summer window opened so we have had a good amount of space to make a few big signings wage wise. 

Sporting won't win their case and they know that. It's purely a negotiating tactic to get as much as they can for him, and also to try and scare off other clubs from doing the same (Atletico are still waiting for FIFA to give them the ok to sign Gelson Martins, and that the Sporting players cancelled their contracts with just cause and aren't still in breach. Even though he's a free agent they've agreed a compensation fee with Sporting that they're not happy about). Their new president has said this week they are likely to come to an agreement with us on a fee for Patricio instead of going through the courts. Probably around the £18m we agreed to pay for him in the first place. They agreed a similar fee with Napoli too before Ancelotti pulled out of the deal so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on demanding they get his full release clause if they took it to FIFA.

Edited by The Bear

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

You can't get into a mess with FFP in the Prem purely on transfer fees because of amortisation and the TV money offsets it far too easily. It's only wage bills that get you into trouble nowadays. Newly promoted clubs have to start with a max of £67m and you only add £7m per season to that, unless you can offset any extra with player sales or other incoming revenue. Our wage bill was roughly £40m before the summer window opened so we have had a good amount of space to make a few big signings wage wise. 

Sporting won't win their case and they know that. It's purely a negotiating tactic to get as much as they can for him, and also to try and scare off other clubs from doing the same (Atletico are still waiting for FIFA to give them the ok to sign Gelson Martins, and that the Sporting players cancelled their contracts with just cause and aren't still in breach. Even though he's a free agent they've agreed a compensation fee with Sporting that they're not happy about). Their new president has said this week they are likely to come to an agreement with us on a fee for Patricio instead of going through the courts. Probably around the £18m we agreed to pay for him in the first place. They agreed a similar fee with Napoli too before Ancelotti pulled out of the deal so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on demanding they get his full release clause if they took it to FIFA.

Really keep on spending.

It must be exciting for Wolves fans with all of these signings coming in but listening to some of them on Twitter you would think they have finished top 6 already.

I for one am hoping they crash and burn, do a QPR, lots of players coming in on money that's likely to be a lot more than most of the existing squad. Bit of a portuguese clique. Have a lot of potential to do well if they gel etc. but yea, hoping it goes t*ts up.

Edited by lcfc278
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Can’t knock Wolves signings in general but Moutinho says bad business to me. A 31 year old short arsed central midfielder whose past league experience was the not so high tempo Ligue Un and Portuguese Liga 

Kind of showing my age but hadn't realised he was that old. 32 in September. Last time I paid attention to Moutinho he was in his mid 20s. 

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Wolves are shorter odds than us to win the league and shorter (half) the odds of us to be relegated. I can’t see either happening but the bookies obviously see them as an unknown quantity. 

Personally I can’t work out if I want them to go down after spending so much and being touted as some brilliant team, or respect the fact they want to give it a good go.

Both

36 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

It must be exciting for Wolves fans with all of these signings coming in but listening to some of them on Twitter you would think they have finished top 6 already.

I for one am hoping they crash and burn, do a QPR, lots of players coming in on money that's likely to be a lot more than most of the existing squad. Bit of a portuguese clique. Have a lot of potential to do well if they gel etc. but yea, hoping it goes t*ts up.

If only they had to play Stoke on a wet Tuesday night.........

I can see your point though. If things are going well, all will be rosy but a clique could quickly appear if they find themselves struggling.

Think Wolves are going to be distinctly average next season, tbh. Can see them finishing 10th-14th; comfortably safe from relegation but a far cry away from the 'Easily top half' claims that I've seen spouted by various fans.

I hope both ourselves and Wolves carry on improving (us more than them, obviously)- there always seemed to be a bit of needle surrounding our fixtures and, let's face it, Midlands football has been utter shite apart from Leicester for 5 years. It would be good to see a bit of a resurgence, local derbies are one thing this stint in the top flight has lacked.

That said, it would be funny if they went down after how their fans are carrying on this summer.

When we played Wolves in preseason last year they played us off the park desite us having our full first team out. At that point I thought they would walk the champioship, which they did.

Premier League is of course way harder but I think they will be very comfortable.  They have a good style and have had a year for their players to get used to playing a specific system. Signing players like Moutinho means that style has a better chance at working in the top league too. They will struggle against the top 6 (like everyone does) but they'll probably have more possesion than any other team they face with the possible expections of Everton, West Ham and maybe us. And that's only because this season Everton replaced Allardyce with Silva and West Ham brought Pellegrini in.

Our first home game against them will be a tasty one. To be honest though like a lot of people I kind of do hope they get some come-uppance because it does feel like they are abusing a realtionship with a super agent to boost their club. Still currently it's legal so you can't really knock their owners for doing it because the strategy has worked out so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They have a good style and have had a year for their players to get used to playing a specific system. 

That’s the problem the players they have signed will walk straight into the 1st team and the players who played last season will miss out most of them won’t even make the bench, I’m expecting a lot of player unrest 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I'd be happy with 10th-14th in the first season. Most sensible fans would. 

And theres nothing wrong with that - for a newly promoted club a steady mid-table finish is very respectable, and I think you'll put in a good showing. I'm more aggrieved at the fact that among some fans and parts of the media, there's almost as expectation that you're going to storm it. I just can't see it.

Heck, considering that when we won the Championship we did it with more points than Wolves and then struggled, the high expectations before you'd even signed a single player were just perplexing.

Looking forward to seeing how all three promoted clubs do, to be honest. It gets said every year, but last year was particularly poor in the bottom half, and this year seems like it could be much stronger already. Cardiff / Southampton / Watford to go down.

20 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

I think it's fair, they are certainly the story of the Premier League this summer.

Are they? That's surely Liverpool. I think the traffic about Wolves is driven by our resident Wolves' fan who I assume must have been barred by their forum, given how much time he spends on here!

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Are they? That's surely Liverpool. I think the traffic about Wolves is driven by our resident Wolves' fan who I assume must have been barred by their forum, given how much time he spends on here!

A good team getting better happens every summer. A newly promoted team signing very good players like this doesn't happen that often.

2 hours ago, lildave3 said:

I think it's fair, they are certainly the story of the Premier League this summer.

I wasn’t complaining, so much as being wry. They certainly offer an interesting contrast to some other sides in the transfer window period.

• Like 1