Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

So it sounds like the backroomers, general staff that are unhappy.

Yes mate. He’s rubbed some of general staff up the wrong way but some of it sounded petty and like they were the arseholes to be honest. But I don’t think he had personally annoyed anyone with any real influence. Purely off of performances. 

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I’d be surprised if the owners/club have put a specific target or number of games on Puel, but it is not crazy to think they have a contingency in place if we have a bad start. Puel does not have a lot of credit in the bank after last season and a poor start means he has to go. 

It's never struck me that we do any such planning ahead. Our manager recruitment seems to go no further than looking at who is out of contract at that moment in time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's never struck me that we do any such planning ahead. Our manager recruitment seems to go no further than looking at who is out of contract at that moment in time.

To be honest this summer has felt like more long term planning - backing a manager who plays a lot of young players, getting them involved in the first team and phasing out the old guard at the back. Obviously all that is instantly void if he's getting binned if we start badly, which is literally the worst possible plan to go with if you're starting with a young team.

• Like 1

I think Puel has 3-4 games and that's it which is a disgrace but it's the result of quite a poor last few months of last season and something isn't right with him and the club. There's a divide and he's never really built any sort of rapport, perhaps this is a mindset from the fans as much as anything but in the modern game where managers get very little time you'd not be shocked to see him gone within a few games. We've a tough start as well which makes it even more difficult for him but I think the fans will show their dissatisfaction very quickly and he'll be gone. Wolves could easily come here and give us the run around and the fans will be seething.

Managers at clubs won't want to leave that early in to a season though, so I've no idea why we've kept him. I don't see a way in which he carries on for a length of time. There's far too many dinosaurs out there too in Allardyce, Moyes and Pardew. Any unattached manager who's any good will have been snapped up this summer already except Conte and Zidane who I'm sure would love a stint down the blue army.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Puel has 3-4 games and that's it which is a disgrace but it's the result of quite a poor last few months of last season and something isn't right with him and the club. There's a divide and he's never really built any sort of rapport, perhaps this is a mindset from the fans as much as anything but in the modern game where managers get very little time you'd not be shocked to see him gone within a few games. We've a tough start as well which makes it even more difficult for him but I think the fans will show their dissatisfaction very quickly and he'll be gone. Wolves could easily come here and give us the run around and the fans will be seething.

Managers at clubs won't want to leave that early in to a season though, so I've no idea why we've kept him. I don't see a way in which he carries on for a length of time. There's far too many dinosaurs out there too in Allardyce, Moyes and Pardew. Any unattached manager who's any good will have been snapped up this summer already except Conte and Zidane who I'm sure would love a stint down the blue army.

Amen.

19 minutes ago, Wdywd said:

To be honest this summer has felt like more long term planning - backing a manager who plays a lot of young players, getting them involved in the first team and phasing out the old guard at the back. Obviously all that is instantly void if he's getting binned if we start badly, which is literally the worst possible plan to go with if you're starting with a young team.

Absolutely, they are backing the manager with that vision and it's for those reasons I'm happy to give him time as well. I really think he's got the right ideas, it's whether he can translate those ideas into progression on the pitch. But in terms of "contingency planning" there seems little thought put in until the moment arrives to get a new manager. I'd expect managers to be treated like players, constantly monitoring who is performing around the world, finding out about them etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I can't see anything happening until perhaps after the Eveton game at the very earliest if we start badly, unless of course it's a total disaster of a start. We have United and Liverpool in the first four games and it's going to take all teams time to get up to speed this summer if they've had lots of players away at the world cup (which we have), it would be utterly moronic to act so quickly.

Anyway... shouldn't even be talking like this! When Madison smashes united hopefully things are a bit more cheery.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd expect managers to be treated like players, constantly monitoring who is performing around the world, finding out about them etc.

That would have to be done in secret by an outside organisation or Rudkin at home :P

48 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Absolutely, they are backing the manager with that vision and it's for those reasons I'm happy to give him time as well. I really think he's got the right ideas, it's whether he can translate those ideas into progression on the pitch. But in terms of "contingency planning" there seems little thought put in until the moment arrives to get a new manager. I'd expect managers to be treated like players, constantly monitoring who is performing around the world, finding out about them etc.

Yeah I agree with that.

Also we REALLY follow the fat pope, skinny pope theory when choosing managers.

36 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Only another 11 sleeps till the start of a new season, is no body else excited?

I am. I'm genuinely confident we're going to be good. The yoof :wub:

3 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

We are trying to get Rory Delap out of retirement to link up with Crouch.

The BFC money is shared by the board based on how many shares.

I think you could still get a few games out of Emile Heskey too if you’d be willing to break your transfer record

• Haha 4

Are you getting a bit frustrated with Dyche / the board at your gaff @lancyclaret? Genuine question as a few of your posts recently seem a bit underwhelmed with how you haven't seemingly kicked on after a great season last year but I can't figure out if it's tongue in cheek playing on the piss taking you get on here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Er isn’t this the PL thread?

The PL hasn't started yet. What else would you prefer to discuss?

I'm genuinely interested to hear where Burnley's money goes from one of their fans, and have found the Puel stuff interesting as non-Leicester fan. I know  the Leicester STHs I work with aren't big fans of his either. 

Edited by The Bear

Who’s ‘winning’ the transfer window up to now? Liverpool look to have addressed the issues in their squad whilst keeping hold of their front three. Fulham have made some admirable acquisitions for a promoted side. West Ham have splashed the cash and Man City have added to their already remarkable side with some Algerian fella. Which team stands out?

still think Maddison will be prove to be one of the smartest buys

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Who’s ‘winning’ the transfer window up to now? Liverpool look to have addressed the issues in their squad whilst keeping hold of their front three. Fulham have made some admirable acquisitions for a promoted side. West Ham have splashed the cash and Man City have added to their already remarkable side with some Algerian fella. Which team stands out?

still think Maddison will be prove to be one of the smartest buys

On paper you have to say that Wolves and Liverpool have done the best in terms of strengthening their squad. Whether that is reflected in their performances we'll see but both will definitely have the most pressure to perform.

I think Fulham have also done some good business as have West Ham.

Cardiff, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and Southampton haven't really done anything i have found significant and think these 4 will probably include the 3 that go down.