Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

5 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I thought he was off to wolves for £25 million 

Either Wolves or Everton could be rivals beside us in the table this season. I wouldn't mind him going to either tbh.

Mourinho should be renamed Dick Turpin if he gets £30m for him though as that's daylight robbery imo.

Of course, Rojo could have a blinding season with one of them (actually, loss of sight may improve his timing in the tackle) and make me eat my badly chosen words. There is a reason I'm not a football manager for a living I suppose.

I just really don't rate him.

22 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Oh trust me they are worried. Their forum is more miserable than this one somehow

I'll have to see this to believe it! lol Either way i'm glad they are because £80m on those two I would be very worried. 

This could backfire and they could have amazing seasons if they were to sign Rojo as well, i just can't see it though.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Max Meyer, I'm speechless.

Madness isn't it

I think what is happening is that the top 6 can afford a different level of player now.

Which means that London clubs outside that bracket, such as Fulham and Palace become attractive to the level of player just below.

They know they can smash it for a season and then move to one of those top 6 teams.

It leaves the likes of us a little stuck to be honest.

Or at least that's what I want to believe... the fact we could do with a Meyer or a Bernard at the minute and the fact they're both on frees would leave the thought of them not being at least explored mind boggling.  

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

I think Marco Silva is a weird one.

First the massively inflated fee for Richarlison and now bidding £30m for Rojo? I would be worried if i was an Everton fan with him throwing big money around so recklessly. In my eyes he's never really justified his reputation. He did fairly well at Hull getting them some good wins but in the end it still wasn't good enough to keep them up. At Watford he started well and then the last 20 odd games they were dire. Now he's been given a 'big job' and he is making decisions like these? Baffles me how he's got in this position.  

I for one will not be surprised if this goes the same way as Koeman.

I'm inclined to agree. As the saying goes the grass is always greener and maybe there is a reason why Everton did better under Allardyce than they did under Koeman. It's true they squandered their money away but it takes time to build a team up playing a quality brand of football. That's something we should remember too because it's rare that a team can be transformed overnight.

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Max Meyer, I'm speechless.

The sort of player we could probably have got. Now that we have Maddison he's probably not on our radar though last season they moved him from a 10 to a Pirlo style 6 and he was a revelation. Would have been good to have hm next to Ndidi. But then again we have so many Midfielders on the books right now that you can't really justify another one coming in.

Personally whilst I would have loved us to sign a marquee player to replace Mahrez, I think it's much more important to get rid of our excess players. The fact that we haven't sold anyone yet is a concern as it shows how much we've overpaid for them. I expect quite a few players to leave on loan deals on the even of the transfer window, but don't think we'll see much money coming in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

First the massively inflated fee for Richarlison and now bidding £30m for Rojo? I would be worried if i was an Everton fan with him throwing big money around so recklessly. In my eyes he's never really justified his reputation. 

I am of the same opinion. His career is becoming increasingly odd with short stints as manager at different clubs. 

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

If this Meyer is that good why is he still a free transfer and potentially signing for Palace? Zero goals or assists last season from what I can see too. 

this from another forum I'm on - a guy who's Schalke born and bred and followed them for years:

I have know Max since he was a kid and flowed closely his progress through the young International teams to the Olympics where - as a leader of the team in the final he was brilliant and if the rest had kept up his work rate then his goal could have won the game instead of losing from a missed penalty at the end.

He has always been reluctant to push himself forward which is why his agent has done it for him - sometimes creating the wrong impression. 

My own belief is that Tedesco ruined his game - he has abilities similar to Ivan Rakitic and David Beckham and as a young guy was able almost to drop set piece balls on to a pfennig.  Tedesco took that way from him and left him at the back and out of the attacking role - thus so few goals for 04 last season - the climax was the Frankfurt semi - left to run up and down behind the goal all game whilst there was not a glimmer of a chance on the pitch that 04 were going to score - zilch from midfield for the attack to use. 

Despite the figures above proving his accuracy on the pitch he was nearly always the first player that Tedesco substituted when other around him were producing performances worthy only of BL3. 

A few tears and using the Tic Tac Toe version of 'Warum' became almost his theme and Tedesco killed any confidence he had left - little chance of his staying at 04.  Mesut had the same problem with Slomka and was lucky to pair up with Diego.  I would love Max to go to Barca and append time with Ivan who he knows and admires, but he also has a deep respect for Herr Klopp and - had Wenger still been there - teaming up again with Mesut would have been great.  Wherever he goes, if he is allowed to play where he is best and is given the respect and confidence from the staff he will be back replacing Tony Kroos at some future date. 

I have watched his progress along with watching young Josh Kimmich since old friend Andy Beck told me about him at Stuttgart some years ago and three years ago I posted on here that would be the replacement for Philip Lahm - most laughed at the idea - so perhaps this time the above might not seem so silly!  I have only felt so sad about this since Manuel was in tears at leaving 04 for Bayern and Ivan was trashed before leaving for Seville.  Schalke have a habit of doing this sort of thing - lately, Leroy, Julien, Sinead, Christian and even Benny H and now wanting Johannes back - the system there is in total chaos and the old men they have to start the 2019 season with will not be able to compete in the BL let alone the Champions league without returning to the long-held 04 tradition that 'The Kids are Alright' Those of us still watching will be waiting to wave Thilo off next!

27 minutes ago, StanSP said:

this from another forum I'm on - a guy who's Schalke born and bred and followed them for years:

Most Schalke fans I read from are happy Meyer's gone - and with him his agent Wittmann.

Biggest talking points are Meyer's lack of physicality and that he's not fit to play as an attacking midfielder - he's allegedly more apt in a deeper-lying role in midfield.

You can call it bitterness or Schadenfreude - from what I can tell, they feel Meyer's a fool for trading in Champions League football for Premier League mediocrity in front of a paltry 25'000 fans (although I do think they underestimate the atmosphere at Selhurst Park).

From a sportive point of view, certainly a step back, seen from the financial and personal angle, surely a win (for the agent).

14 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Most Schalke fans I read from are happy Meyer's gone - and with him his agent Wittmann.

Biggest talking points are Meyer's lack of physicality and that he's not fit to play as an attacking midfielder - he's allegedly more apt in a deeper-lying role in midfield.

You can call it bitterness or Schadenfreude - from what I can tell, they feel Meyer's a fool for trading in Champions League football for Premier League mediocrity in front of a paltry 25'000 fans (although I do think they underestimate the atmosphere at Selhurst Park).

From a sportive point of view, certainly a step back, seen from the financial and personal angle, surely a win (for the agent).

It's absolutely sod all compared to most German grounds.

11 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

First the massively inflated fee for Richarlison and now bidding £30m for Rojo? I would be worried if i was an Everton fan with him throwing big money around so recklessly. In my eyes he's never really justified his reputation. He did fairly well at Hull getting them some good wins but in the end it still wasn't good enough to keep them up. At Watford he started well and then the last 20 odd games they were dire. Now he's been given a 'big job' and he is making decisions like these? Baffles me how he's got in this position.  

I for one will not be surprised if this goes the same way as Koeman.

I may be wrong, but isnt it steve walsh dealing with the transfer fees as hes director of football? 

40 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What's up with Mourinho?

Doesn't like being at United, funny how a manager can moan about being at one of biggest clubs in the world. Is heart and soul is not the job, he misses Chelsea too much that was his club. The only reason he went to United was because just a "job". He's much better manager when he's under less pressure like back at FC Porto and Inter. 

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I have never understood this, I go to Selhurst quite a bit as a few of my mates are season ticket holders, the place is an absolute morgue. The holmesdale corner goes constantly but it's so few people it doesn't exactly do much for the ground.

7 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I have never understood this, I go to Selhurst quite a bit as a few of my mates are season ticket holders, the place is an absolute morgue. The holmesdale corner goes constantly but it's so few people it doesn't exactly do much for the ground.

Holmesdale corner won’t be there anymore this season