Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

8 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I have never understood this, I go to Selhurst quite a bit as a few of my mates are season ticket holders, the place is an absolute morgue. The holmesdale corner goes constantly but it's so few people it doesn't exactly do much for the ground.

This. Selhurst Park is the biggest myth in the league after Annfield. Got a shit atmosphere. 

Holmsdale is the equivalent of our UFS corner, it might sound great while you're in the middle of it but it does nothing from anywhere else in the ground. 

Only difference between them and said corner is they're at the front and get on MOTD / Sky Sports easily which perpetuates the myth. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What's up with Mourinho?

This new rule won't help his mood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45025794

Shame its not actually enforced in the Premier league yet otherwise he'd be the first to suffer from the rule!

Don't think our current managers need to worry though - probably 2 of the more placid managers in the league!

As somebody said to me the other week - at Chelsea he was the one spending big - now its not just him so the bloke doesn't like it.

Lucas Digne to Everton for £18m. Right age, could turn out to be a more than just decent signing.

Barcelona seem to be a bit desperate for some additional revenue - I wonder why.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Lucas Digne to Everton for £18m. Right age, could turn out to be a more than just decent signing.

Barcelona seem to be a bit desperate for some additional revenue - I wonder why.

That seems like a decent bit of business compared to what they have spent on other players. They've needed a Baines replacement for a long time as he is getting on a bit and is no longer the player he was. Everton are still very weak at centre back so I hope they don't sign Mina as they are a team we are competing with for that 7th spot.

Barcelona supposedly will make one more signing this summer and it could well be a marquee one. So far they have signed Arthur Melo and Malcom, two exciting young Brazilian players. Both are good but probably won't help them in the Champions League. La Liga is interesting this year as I think it will be between Barcelona and Atletico who have made some great signings and kept Griezemann. Real Madrid are clearly in a rebuilding phase and with Ronaldo gone and possibly Modric too it will be about how their new team shapes up. So likely a transitional season for them.

42 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Dyche is going to have to spend some money finally.

in my opinion why should they? They have a squad for a reason and probably have youth keepers and backup keepers.

It's not to sign another player.

The have Lindegard (sp) who is fit and will start. They just hadn't registered 4 keepers and they want to register Legdzins (sp) who is their 4th choice so that they can have a GK on the bench.

Bit harsh if it's not allowed, can't really account for 2 injured keepers in the space of a week!

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Looks like the Chris Smalling to Wolves rumour could well be true. I've heard it's happening but isn't quite done yet. 

Would be a good signing for us as he'd replace Ryan Bennett in the back three. 

That's a good signing. 

Just to confirm, Doherty will still be an automatic starter? He's in my fantasy premier league team. 

21 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Looks like the Chris Smalling to Wolves rumour could well be true. I've heard it's happening but isn't quite done yet. 

Would be a good signing for us as he'd replace Ryan Bennett in the back three. 

Very good signing. Smalling alongside the world class Willy Boly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

That's a good signing. 

Just to confirm, Doherty will still be an automatic starter? He's in my fantasy premier league team. 

For the time being yes. Looks like Jonny is playing LWB. Our journos reckon we are after another RWB though. 

Personally I wouldn't have Doc as his attacking output isn't very good in terms of goals/assists. I had Douglas in mine but then we went and sold him! I'd go for Boly from defence. He's a good threat from corners and we score plenty from set-pieces. 

Edited by The Bear

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

For the time being yes. Looks like Jonny is playing LWB. Our journos reckon we are after another RWB though. 

Personally I wouldn't have Doc as his attacking output isn't very good in terms of goals/assists. I had Douglas in mine but then we went and sold him! I'd go for Boly from defence. He's a good threat from corners and we score plenty from set-pieces. 

Maybe I'll swap in Patricio as keeper and get a different defender. I

I'm pretty Wolves heavy as I think you're going to do well so I've got both Jota and Costa in midfield as they're fairly cheap. So if you sign Traore, my plans are shot.

Patricio will be good as he's a really good shot stopper so wil get the save points too. 

Even if Traore comes in I doubt he'll be straight in ahead of Costa. Especially since he'll be injured for the first 3-4 games. There are rumours Nuno might even try and use him as RWB. 

Edited by The Bear

17 minutes ago, Worthington said:

It's being reported that Palace are paying Meyer £170k p.w. PLUS  bonuses   ….  Bloody madness !!

lol which we could match that outrageous ambitious wage packet on a Mahrez replacement 

1 hour ago, Worthington said:

It's being reported that Palace are paying Meyer £170k p.w. PLUS  bonuses   ….  Bloody madness !!

For a 22-year old German international who had 0 league goals and 0 league assists last season.

Brilliant job by his agent.

Btw, the weekly wage figure has been blown out of proportion, he's more likely on half of that - no Premier League team, not even Crystal Palace would pay that kind of money for an unproven player - after all, they have to think of their own wage structure, as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only Zaha is on big bucks at Selhurst Park.

Edited by MC Prussian

40 minutes ago, Worthington said:

It would go a long way to explaining why so many clubs have steered away from signing him as most on here felt a free signing was a no brainer. In most likelihood, he’s probably getting a hefty signing-on bonus too. Couple that with an agent fee, it doesn’t seem as appealing as it did initially. 

Edited by Shambles

Don't know if anyone saw it but Benitez was absolutely raging in an interview last night, i'd pile on him being first to leave...... which will leave some clubs uncertain on their manager in an interesting position.... lol  

Q: Rafa, what are your reflections after that tonight?

Benitez: It was a bad game. We did not do things the way we have to.

“Ten days before the start of the season now and this is wake up call. We have to realise we can’t make these mistakes.

“Things are not going well off the pitch and you can see a reflection of that on the pitch.”

Q: What things do you mean when you say it’s not going well off the pitch?

Benitez: “Everything.”

Q: Are there any players close to coming in?

Benitez: “I have no idea.”

Q: The players told us after the game they couldn’t speak to us, why was that?

Benitez: “As I say things aren’t going well off the pitch and you can see a reflection.

“We were poor and we made too many mistakes. We have to wake up - that’s it.”

Q: Do you expect deals in the remainder of the window?

Benitez: “We will try to change things in the next 10 days. We will try our very best.

“I have no idea. We can talk and be close but after we’re not so close.”

Q: Is there money to spend?

Benitez: “I have no idea.”

Q: The fans are frustrated out there...

Benitez: “They have to be concerned. We are concerned. They have to be concerned.

“We are also concerned.”

Q: So you expect deals to be done?

Benitez: “Maybe, maybe not. I still think we need three or four more players.”

Q: What is the situation with Gayle?

Benitez: “ It seems he will stay .”

Q: Lascelles has been linked with a move away, could he go?

Benitez: “I don’t think we will lose any of the players we have at the moment but I can’t say too much.

“I can’t say too much about players coming because in the end it depends on so many things and we don’t finish the deals.”

Edited by AjcW
  • Thanks 1

Dyche and Benitez joint favourites to leave first - especially if Burnley get knocked out by Aberdeen tonight.

I'm putting £20 on the Dons at 8/1 with a covering £30 on the draw at 3/1.

Basically, a fed-up Dyche has said that he sees no long-term PL future for Burnley unless they get a wealthy backer like the vast majority of PL clubs.

Burnley's "owners" have a net wealth of about £80 million - the next "poorest" are the Pozzos at Watford with £350 million.

Edited by lancyclaret
  • Haha 1