Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Tottenham finish as runners-up ahead of Liverpool & Manchester United
Chelsea and Arsenal finish outside top four, according to Sky Sports algorithm.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11465325/tottenham-finish-as-runners-up-ahead-of-liverpool-manchester-united

The stats-based Sky Sports Predictor is back for the new season - and it's tipping Man City to retain the Premier League title.

Tottenham would land the runners-up spot ahead of Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea, according to the predictive algorithm.

Chelsea narrowly miss out on automatic Champions League qualification in fifth, while Unai Emery would lead Arsenal to their second successive sixth-place finish.

How does it work?
The Sky Sports predictor is based on a system called Elo, originally set up to rate chess players. It takes into account form, who your team still has left to play, and how well a team has done in previous seasons.

The algorithm does not factor transfers, so Liverpool's league-topping £176.9m spent on players this summer could influence the standings as the season progresses.

In contrast, Tottenham are the only Premier League club not to have signed a player this summer - although the club has reportedly bid £25m for Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish,

At the other end of the table, it's bad news for Wolves upon their return to the Premier League - with a predicted immediate return to the Championship after a rock-bottom finish.

Newly-promoted Cardiff will suffer the same fate and will be joined by David Wagner's Huddersfield - while Fulham are tipped to buck the odds and end the season in 12th spot.

skysports-premier-predictor_4383575.jpg?20180808080603

skysports-premier-predictor_4383576.jpg?20180808080626

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11465325/tottenham-finish-as-runners-up-ahead-of-liverpool-manchester-united

The stats-based Sky Sports Predictor is back for the new season - and it's tipping Man City to retain the Premier League title.

Tottenham would land the runners-up spot ahead of Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea, according to the predictive algorithm.

Chelsea narrowly miss out on automatic Champions League qualification in fifth, while Unai Emery would lead Arsenal to their second successive sixth-place finish.

How does it work?
The Sky Sports predictor is based on a system called Elo, originally set up to rate chess players. It takes into account form, who your team still has left to play, and how well a team has done in previous seasons.

The algorithm does not factor transfers, so Liverpool's league-topping £176.9m spent on players this summer could influence the standings as the season progresses.

In contrast, Tottenham are the only Premier League club not to have signed a player this summer - although the club has reportedly bid £25m for Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish,

At the other end of the table, it's bad news for Wolves upon their return to the Premier League - with a predicted immediate return to the Championship after a rock-bottom finish.

Newly-promoted Cardiff will suffer the same fate and will be joined by David Wagner's Huddersfield - while Fulham are tipped to buck the odds and end the season in 12th spot.

So we have the same chances of Top 4 as we do relegation. Seems about right!

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

How does it work?

Cardiff do not have a 5% chance at top 4, unless i'm misinterpreting? 

I think Spurs will struggle to make top 4 this season. I fancy Arsenal and Chelsea to both finish above them. Spurs need to be adding to the squad and their lack of investment and rumours of departures would have me worried. Grealish isn't enough for me.

I would be delighted with 7th. The algorithm obviously puts us there due to our title win. Reckon anywhere between 7th-10th personally

11 hours ago, F1_AN said:

Why does Benitez stick with Newcastle given they don’t back him? 

After last season he could pick up a decent job (like here)...

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Because if he quits he sacrifices a massive pay out. 

He has a clause in his contract that stipulates that he has to pay £6m compensation if he quits.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Buce said:

He has a clause in his contract that stipulates that he has to pay £6m compensation if he quits.

Seriously? 

This a joke I've missed about Ashley being a tit or has he really signed that? 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Seriously? 

This a joke I've missed about Ashley being a tit or has he really signed that? 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/08/premier-league-preview-2018-19-newcastle-united

'Unfortunately he now seems in real peril of losing Benítez next summer – and perhaps before – with the manager seeming to be at the end of his tether as he enters the final year of his contract and continues to decline to sign a new deal. Granted there is a deterrent to resignation in the form of a clause in the contract stipulating that the manager must pay Ashley £6m if he quits – perhaps this is one reason why Benítez recently parted with his Spanish agent? – but as the months roll by, restraint of trade laws will surely dictate that it becomes obsolete. “I can’t guarantee what will happen,” says Benítez. “But in my head, it’s stay and fight.” '

46 minutes ago, Buce said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/08/premier-league-preview-2018-19-newcastle-united

'Unfortunately he now seems in real peril of losing Benítez next summer – and perhaps before – with the manager seeming to be at the end of his tether as he enters the final year of his contract and continues to decline to sign a new deal. Granted there is a deterrent to resignation in the form of a clause in the contract stipulating that the manager must pay Ashley £6m if he quits perhaps this is one reason why Benítez recently parted with his Spanish agent? – but as the months roll by, restraint of trade laws will surely dictate that it becomes obsolete. “I can’t guarantee what will happen,” says Benítez. “But in my head, it’s stay and fight.” '

That seems to suggest (albeit mildly) that his agent knew about the clause but Benitez didn't. Surely that's mischief making by the Guardian.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

How does it work?

Wolves bottom? lol

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Villa saying they won't sell Grealish. Good, it should be club power, not player power.

Good for Villa and to be fair to Grealish he hasn't come out demanding a move or anything.

To be fair I would do business with Spurs after their initial bid for Grealish was 3mill plus Josh Onomah lol don't know who Levy thinks he is sometimes.

IF they finish outside of the top 4 this season can see the big boys likely to start looking at moving as well as Pochettino

What on earth was Benitez thinking?

How has a manager who's stock is higher than Newcastle (and certainly was at the time of the appointment) ended up with so little power here?

I'm genuinely amazed if that's true.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Poor old Jose, no one wants to play for him, Boateng doesn't see Utd as a club going anywhere.

With Outsider critic,and skysports riding the transfer market gossip,and made up headlines....

We ,all PL Fans just might be underestimating the Manutd squad.....If Leicester had these

player Rescources,we would be telling ourselves,we are a top 3 candidate,and could chase

the title....IMO Manutd are not so much in Chaos as a large part of the media and some fan

Bases,will have us believe.....Some dozos quoting that Mourhino is nothing but a failure...

I wish my life,was such a failure..!!!

I was never a Manutd fan,but I say beware!  The 1st 2-3 games,like Leicester fixtures,is no

Measure...unless there is a real Explosion.Manutd have a steady top group of players,with

Youngsters waiting in the Wings...

With the other PL Teams...

All these across the field New buys, still have no proven base that they will set their New teams,

on a campaign of unabaited success...Its whats behind the shopwindow,not the Front that is being

Dressed up by 3rd Party outside presentation.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1