Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

17 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

What's a canadiat?

-.-. .-.. . .- .-. .-.. -.-- / .. / -.. .. -.. -. .----. - / -.-. --- .--. -.-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .- ... - . / - .... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / .-- . .-.. .-.. / . -. --- ..- --. ....

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

-.-. .-.. . .- .-. .-.. -.-- / .. / -.. .. -.. -. .----. - / -.-. --- .--. -.-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .- ... - . / - .... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / .-- . .-.. .-.. / . -. --- ..- --. ....

.-.. --- .-..

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

-... .-.. --- --- -.. -.-- / -.-. .- -. .- -.. .. .- -

31 minutes ago, Stadt said:

25 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

.-.. --- .-..

I don't think braille works on screens. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, davieG said:

The Sky Sports predictor is based on a system called Elo, originally set up to rate chess players.

It takes into account form

No one has played anyone yet.  Is "form" last spring's beach season games?

who your team still has left to play

Everyone has to play everyone else twice.

and how well a team has done in previous seasons.  The algorithm does not factor transfers.

i.e. Liverpool do not have Fabinho, Naby Keita and Allison.  Partly explaining why they are shown as only 50/50 to make CL -- which would be corrected immediately in any betting market.

I'm not trying to get bitchy, Davie  -- I'm looking forward to following this.  Just trying to point out why for team sports, ELO based systems are of little use at the start of the season.  They are based on the outcomes of previous matches, and become more and more useful as seasons progress.

I guess it's time for me to post fivethirtyeight's club ratings and projections (which use both ELO and advanced metrics) so y'all can slag them off.  (spoiler: they rate Bayern #1 worldwide)

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

I'm not trying to get bitchy, Davie  -- I'm looking forward to following this.  Just trying to point out why for team sports, ELO based systems are of little use at the start of the season.  They are based on the outcomes of previous matches, and become more and more useful as seasons progress.

I guess it's time for me to post fivethirtyeight's club ratings and projections (which use both ELO and advanced metrics) so y'all can slag them off.  (spoiler: they rate Bayern #1 worldwide)

You can say what you like about them there out there for discussion no problem for me.

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

ELO based systems are of little use at the start of the season.  They are based on the outcomes of previous matches, and become more and more useful as seasons progress.

Are they not based on blue sky thinking?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I know Wolves have bought some good players but didn't QPR a couple of years ago? I don't think they were of the calibre of the players Wolves have bit still, we know how that all ended. 

I don't think what Wolves are doing is comparable to Harry Redknapp buying Steven Caulker and Sandro and getting Niko Kranjcar in on loan.

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
24 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I don't think what Wolves are doing is comparable to Harry Redknapp buying Steven Caulker and Sandro and getting Niko Kranjcar in on loan.

:D

37 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Newcastle and Rafa would be a perfect match to challenge the top 6 if they had a competent owner.

Players on strike due to not being paid agreed bonuses! Sounds like the club is in more of a mess than ever. 

Benitez can't put up with much more shit can he?! He's a top manager! Ashley could refuse to sell for years.

With all the ill feeling going on and lack of transfers, they will be fighting for their lives to stay up! 

19 minutes ago, murphy said:

Losing one winger and then trying to get a high quality replacement?

What a novel idea.  It will never catch on.

Trying doesn't mean getting.

They won't.