Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

1 minute ago, Mr Mister said:

Premier League Predictions.

Champions - Manchester City

Relegated - Wolves, Huddersfield & Cardiff

No chance! 

There will be a handful of much weaker teams than them, including Newcastle IMO

7 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

Premier League Predictions.

Champions - Manchester City

Relegated - Wolves, Huddersfield & Cardiff

Personally reckon huddersfield will be okay but certainly can see the other two going. I think Wolves will be in for a lot harder season than what everyone thinks. My predictions would be 

Champions - Man City

Relegated - Wolves, Newcastle,  Burnley/Cardiff 

8 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I know Wolves have bought some good players but didn't QPR a couple of years ago? I don't think they were of the calibre of the players Wolves have bit still, we know how that all ended. 

It was wages that got them deep in the shit. Difference nowadays is the TV money is so big, we won't ever get to QPR's 150% of turnover level of wages. In fact FFP rules limit us to £67m wage bill in our first season, and only £7m extra every season afterwards. 

5 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Proper going for it. If this gets confirmed, how many new faces have they got in?

Patricio, Jimenez, Moutinho, Jonny, Dondencker. And Zinchenko to follow would make 6.

We're still after an even bigger "marquee" signing according to our local journos too!! What a day!! 

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The other 5 were on loan last season.

Correct. Jota, Boly, Afobe, Vinagre and Bonatini all signed permanent deals. Though Afobe was punted on for £2m profit 4 days later (loan with obligation to buy in January, as he can't be registered for 3 teams in same year).

4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

It’s ok stockpiling a bunch of good players. Getting them to gel and fit a system is a big task!

Nuno brought in 12 players last summer, 6 of them first choice straight away, and implemented a brand new formation and style of play. Seemed to work ok :)

Edited by The Bear

25 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Nuno brought in 12 players last summer, 6 of them first choice straight away, and implemented a brand new formation and style of play. Seemed to work ok :)

Hmmmmm the difference is the competition is a damn sight better.

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I never said it wasn't. The question was about getting new players to "gel". 

Can’t recall a season where two of the promoted clubs were expected to perform so well. I guess last seasons experience of all three surviving has changed some perspective but we occasionally only see one promoted club riding their momentum long enough to make a fist of a top ten finish. the intensity of the prem is what catches them out - cannot switch off or you invariably get punished. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

@Super_horns what's the general feeling and expectation amongst the Watford fans ahead of the coming season? 

Some think we lack a striker or two which is true I feel.

Depends if we can keep our better players fit and in form for longer than half a season.

Probably bottom half at best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

Patricio, Jimenez, Moutinho, Jonny, Dondencker. And Zinchenko to follow would make 6.

We're still after an even bigger "marquee" signing according to our local journos too!! What a day!!

New competition, new players to integrate. Still quite the gamble.

There has been countless examples of proven quality players failing to adapt in the  premiership. Most promoted teams try to add 2/3 minimum, players that have experienced the league. Not sure how much prem experience the wolves squad has though I know it’s not a lot. I feel a good start for them will give us clarity of their potential.

That being said.

Everton bought expensive experienced proven players and had to sack the manager. 

I think more often than not, anymore than 5/6 first teamers  are going to need 15/20 games to be a ‘team’.

I think they will scrape 12th.

Just ahead of United.

thats Manchester not Newcastle...

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

It was wages that got them deep in the shit. Difference nowadays is the TV money is so big, we won't ever get to QPR's 150% of turnover level of wages. In fact FFP rules limit us to £67m wage bill in our first season, and only £7m extra every season afterwards. 

Correct. Jota, Boly, Afobe, Vinagre and Bonatini all signed permanent deals. Though Afobe was punted on for £2m profit 4 days later (loan with obligation to buy in January, as he can't be registered for 3 teams in same year).

Premier league>Championship as you will soon find out

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

I never said it wasn't. The question was about getting new players to "gel". 

What you guys have done well, is that you have bought players to suit your system and a lot can speak either Portuguese or English which will help them settle with the current squad. Great business and think you will be comfortably be mid table if not higher personally. 

• Like 1

Serious question - how are Wolves and Fulham affording the players they are buying? FFP dictates you can only spend a % of revenue made and both were Championship clubs last season. In Fulham’s case they also have a tiny ground. 

I’m curious because both clubs are seemingly out spending probably 5-6 clubs who are more established. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Serious question - how are Wolves and Fulham affording the players they are buying? FFP dictates you can only spend a % of revenue made and both were Championship clubs last season. In Fulham’s case they also have a tiny ground. 

I’m curious because both clubs are seemingly out spending probably 5-6 clubs who are more established. 

Short answer - Massive TV revenue and amortised transfer fees. 

Long answer - A newly promoted club can lose £61m over the previous three years. TV revenue makes this almost impossible unless you spend well over £100m. Wages are capped at £67m. I don't know about Fulham but our wages would be around £40m before this window, so plenty of room for new players. £100k p/w is £5m per season so potentially 5 new players at that level, which is unlikely for a newly promoted club to be paying that. I think Moutinho is on about £80k and he'll have the most expensive wages of our new signings. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Well the challenge of stepping up a league is the same for any squad, new players or not. 

You can carry on signing names, go for it.

Word of advice though - one mistake and you're a goal down.  You won't experience the same luxuries in this league.  Chances created need to be taken.

Invidiual mistakes will be punished and expect a game to be won more often than not by a piece of individual brilliance.  That's the difference between the leagues right there.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Because Jorge mendes, agent for the stars, is wolves “adviser”. Ronaldo will go their in January