Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Everton making some big moves

Everton home in on HAT-TRICK of deals as Yerri Mina and Andree Gomes have medicals ahead of joining Bernard at Goodison Park

You can't deny those are some strong signings. Whether or not they all hit the ground running and work out is up for debate, but they've signed 3 players from Barcelona (Digne, Mina, Gomes) and signed a player with caps for Brazil. And Zouma is coming in on loan.

Going to be hard to overhaul them this year, though it can be done. It will be interesting to see how Everton, West Ham and us get on and you can't rule out Wolves. Fulham or someone else turning out to be a suprise. Even Burnley made some decent signings that fit their style and ethos.

Whether or not our policy works or not we will see, but I personally like the idea of signing young players and trying to build a team from a core group. The other teams are waving their wallets around which will probably get better short term results, but leads to the feeling of a club of mercenaries. We shall see...

Edited by StriderHiryu

5 hours ago, lildave3 said:

One of the most patronising things I've ever read. 

I love the Premier League but the way people go on it's as if world class from top to bottom. It isn't. 8 of the last 12 teams to come up are still here now, including all 3 who came up last season. Add Wolves and Fulham to that list this year - the bottom half of the league isn't much better than the top of the Championship. 

I think he's got a point- do you not remember the amount of games in our first season where we wondered 'how have we lost that?' after matching the other team and conceding at their first real opportunity? It's a big jump up in quality, and you do need to be clinical and cut out defensive errors.

That said, there was some absolute dross in the league last season- it was a pretty weak year.

Heading off to the fighting cock site for a giggle. It seems they've spent their budget on a deluxe cheese room for the stadium - is that what they mean by spending money caerphilly ?

Newcastle making 20million profit, Rafa must be peeved, keep an eye on that one.

Everton, West Ham and even the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield will all be better than last season, couple that with the fact that Wolves and Fulham don't look like relegation candidates or an easy 4-6 points and unless we're significantly better than last season it's going to be tough to get much of a winning run together. Still have us 7th-9th with Everton and West Ham but I think a lot of games will be very tight and it will all be about small details and margins.

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Not surprising little to no activity at Spurs. When Arsenal moved to the Emirates they and Wenger were tighter than a nun's chuff, and fans were crying where's the signings and the money gone. 

The thing is, these clubs get so much more money now that Spurs still could, and should, have spent some money

9 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Heading off to the fighting cock site for a giggle. It seems they've spent their budget on a deluxe cheese room for the stadium - is that what they mean by spending money caerphilly ?

Newcastle making 20million profit, Rafa must be peeved, keep an eye on that one.

Everton, West Ham and even the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield will all be better than last season, couple that with the fact that Wolves and Fulham don't look like relegation candidates or an easy 4-6 points and unless we're significantly better than last season it's going to be tough to get much of a winning run together. Still have us 7th-9th with Everton and West Ham but I think a lot of games will be very tight and it will all be about small details and margins.

I think the clubs you mention will have a big impact on how we will fair this season. 

From the outside looking in, it appears West Ham have got some sort of act together. I don't imagine Everton will start off as poorly either and the winning habit Wolves and Fulham have picked up could well see them start strong as well.  

Easy to look at big spending elsewhere and get worried, but I'm fairly happy with our window.

Our debacle in 2016 has left me deeply sceptical about the idea that you can suddenly improve a squad with a glut of big-money transfers, particularly if the players you are buying have never played in the PL before.

For the promoted sides it means leaving out players who achieved promotion together; for the others, it means denying places for young/academy players.

Everton and West Ham have raised expectations massively for their seasons because of all the spending, but will it actually help?

• Like 3

A few year ago Alan Curbishly regularly guided Charlton to midtable / top half finishes in the Prem.

But the fans wanted them to 'kick  on'. Curbishly went, and from that moment: decline. They have been in the third tier for ages now with no great prospects of revival.

Arsenal fans have been baying for Wenger to go despite 20 years of top 6 finishes. I'm not impressed with their new man / new signings so I hope they go the same way as post-Curbishly Charlton!

Not too impressed by the new Chelsea regime and Mourihno is overly believing in his own greatness!

Tottenham will always bottle it - so this years top half could prove to be interesting. It is just a shame that we wont be taking advantage of these upheavals as our manager is so poor tactically and motivationally - playing sideways football that can only work if you can explode into life with a Messi or a Suarez. Someone please tell him that we are The Mighty Leicester City - not a poor man's  Barcelona! COYB!

36 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Easy to look at big spending elsewhere and get worried, but I'm fairly happy with our window.

Our debacle in 2016 has left me deeply sceptical about the idea that you can suddenly improve a squad with a glut of big-money transfers, particularly if the players you are buying have never played in the PL before.

For the promoted sides it means leaving out players who achieved promotion together; for the others, it means denying places for young/academy players.

Everton and West Ham have raised expectations massively for their seasons because of all the spending, but will it actually help?

Not forgetting Wolves, maybe Newcastle...

Will their Fans,by Xmas see their spending, translate into results and guarrantee top 10 or get into

those covetted top 6 positions......

2 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

They've just announced the signing of Diddly Squat.