Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah it just the ‘shiny new toy’ factor of signing new players. The only time I can really think of signing a ton of new players having a huge effect was Chelsea when Abramovich came in and even then they had the nucleus of a top 5 team. If you’re making that many signings then how does the rest of the team feel and where is the team cohesion? It’s going to take time to get all those players familiar with the club, the country, the style of play and each other. Wolves, Fulham, Everton and West Ham (and maybe even Arsenal) could all be in this bucket though it’s likely at least one of those teams does well. 

It will make interesting comparison to us. Our advantage could and should be that we have the same solid spine of Kasper / Maguire / Ndidi / Vardy and supplemented that with hopefully astute signings. So we already have a way of playing and team relationships and it should be an evolution not a revolution. 

I hope our approach works not just as a Leicester fan but because it’s not good to see teams buy success. If that’s the only way to do it then it’s depressing! Every team has to sign but it should be a mixture of academy players and marquee signings and not “let’s buy a brand new team” like Fulham and West Ham. 

I would have been really disappointed if we’d just splashed the cash and signed a whole new team of players in 2014. I was really looking forward to seeing how our Championship winning team would develop and fare in the Premier League. 

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Just an aside. John 'Motty' Motson retired from the Beeb but has joined talkSPORT.

He was being interviewed about his new job - at the end of which he was asked who would do well and who would do poorly in this coming season. Leaving aside his comments about the top of the table he then opined, out of all the contenders for relegation he could have mentioned, that Leicester might be for the drop - due to Mahrez leaving.

He should be obliged to eat that f**king sheepskin he sports if, which is highly likely, his prediction proves wrong.

I much preferred the commentating and analysis of his former contemporary, Barry Davies to him. Davies was intelligent and perceptive - his awareness of football never lacked depth. Unlike 'Motty'.

I think if there’s one thing you can’t knock John Motson on it’s his awareness of football.

You’re just bitter he’s said what he said which, for you, is unusually immature?

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think if there’s one thing you can’t knock John Motson on it’s his awareness of football.

You’re just bitter he’s said what he said which, for you, is unusually immature?

Maybe he just thinks it's lazy journalism.

1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:

This just furthers my opinion that anyone who owns a Twitter account dedicated to a footballer or manager needs to uninstall the app. 

lol yeah, possibly the most expensive squad in the league coming off a second place finish is definitely more of a challenge than a team who only had two first team players at the start with more than one seasons experience in the division (Huth and Albrighton), with a starting line up that cost about 20m, or the same as Nathan Ake now costs. What a muppet.

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don't think its the case anymore. 

From whatever I have heard, he's an absolute pain in the arse to deal with if he's in your media zone. 

Just read if level all League Cup games this season go straight to penalties. 

8 hours ago, Koke said:

I don't think he's gor a clue whats going on at Leicester City under Puel. 

It's the pace on the break with "Leicester, they are not going to dominate football matches - they won the league with 30-odd per cent of play."

We are not going to dominate football matches? The 15/16 style is pretty much gone.  We doninsted plenty of games last season. It was Merson himself who said the 0-0 away to Chelsea was one of the best away performances produced at Stamford Bridge because we doninsted them until the sending off.

Peter Beagrie still thinks we're really strong from set-pieces.

9 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Newcastle have just signed Houseof Fraser for £90 million. Never heard of him. 

Must be related to Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth. Not as much of a journeyman player as John O'Shea's brother Rick, I swear I've heard his name called out on commentary for just about every team in the Football League.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

This just furthers my opinion that anyone who owns a Twitter account dedicated to a footballer or manager needs to uninstall the app. 

Good luck to the tw@ with getting 5,000/1 odds....

14 hours ago, The Bear said:

Motson has been a dribbling old fart that just screeches players names for years now, and should have been retired years ago. 

Years ago (decades), I didn't realised they put the highlights commentary on after the game. Don't know why, just had never thought about it.

Once I realised, if you listened to Motson, his comments would almost point towards which player and team would be scoring in about 5 minutes time. It was utterly predictable once you noticed it.

It might be controversial but I've always thought he was awful.