Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Two other points about the Jagielka red card. Pawson is about twenty five yards away from the foul but decides straight off it’s a red. Neves, glorious free kick it was, took the free kick about seven yards further forward 

Absolute baffler mate. He loves making a quick rash decision. Vardy against stoke springs to mind. 

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Pogba wants a better contract, it appears - about to stir some trouble:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45160562

Now a World Cup winner. Must've gotten to his head.

He often appears to want all the glory etc and shown to everyone at others' expense, and the type that would unsettle an environment if things don't go his way.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

surely they know that when a player starts his run to the ball he is not allowed to stop now

Apparently they are allowed to stop, they are not allowed to stop once they have “addressed” the ball whatever that means 

6 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Apparently they are allowed to stop, they are not allowed to stop once they have “addressed” the ball whatever that means 

At what point they 'address' the ball is so ambiguous. No wonder they are rarely retaken. That word leaves a grey area and is really down to interpretation.

6 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

At what point they 'address' the ball is so ambiguous. No wonder they are rarely retaken. That word leaves a grey area and is really down to interpretation.

Weirdly I’ve just been catching up on match reports and seen this mark clattenburg writing for the daily mail:

“Any player can stop as many times as he wants during the run-up itself. It is only when he addresses the ball and his standing foot is planted that he cannot stop.”

Just now, jammie82uk said:

Weirdly I’ve just been catching up on match reports and seen this mark clattenburg writing for the daily mail:

“Any player can stop as many times as he wants during the run-up itself. It is only when he addresses the ball and his standing foot is planted that he cannot stop.”

That makes sense. I thought addressing the ball meant in the act of striking it. Seems it does from that quote. I still think the word 'addressing' leaves it slightly open to the interpretation of the referee on the day. 

Going by that quote from Clattenburg, you can actually stop as many times as you want in the actual run up though which I thought was outlawed.

• Like 1

Way way too early to being calling teams relegated. How soon the great escape is forgotten.

Lots of things can happen to a team in 8 months and that's without considering the transfer period in January.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

Way way too early to being calling teams relegated. How soon the great escape is forgotten.

Lots of things can happen to a team in 8 months and that's without considering the transfer period in January.

Totally agree! Just look back at last season, Crystal Palace after the 1st chunk of games, bottom of the league and by all accounts guaranteed relegation. They ended up finishing mid table. 

(Not that i want to dwell on Palace though, last year and the games we had against them :blush:)

1 minute ago, lanefox said:

Id rather call him a few four letter words 

Maybe you're not aware of his anagrammatized nickname. Take his real name, form 'Colin' as the new first name, then rearrange the remaining letters to find a highly accurate and amusing surname...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

That makes sense. I thought addressing the ball meant in the act of striking it. Seems it does from that quote. I still think the word 'addressing' leaves it slightly open to the interpretation of the referee on the day. 

Going by that quote from Clattenburg, you can actually stop as many times as you want in the actual run up though which I thought was outlawed.

A very grey area indeed as I was taking this from amendment to Law 14

"Among several minor changes to the laws regarding penalties, potentially the most interesting is the amendment to yellow card a penalty taker who "illegally feints" once his run-up is complete. This means slowing to a stop immediately before shooting is not allowed, with a yellow card and an indirect free-kick to the opposition the result"

6 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

A very grey area indeed as I was taking this from amendment to Law 14

"Among several minor changes to the laws regarding penalties, potentially the most interesting is the amendment to yellow card a penalty taker who "illegally feints" once his run-up is complete. This means slowing to a stop immediately before shooting is not allowed, with a yellow card and an indirect free-kick to the opposition the result"

Yeah, the rules look clear individually but as an overview they're as clear as mud really. Maybe they want to allow refs a little latitude in case it is needed to benefit a big team.

Similar to handball in the box.................

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

why dd they need to change it, run up without stopping and hit the bloody ball

Because the Ronaldo's, Pogba's and assortment of other show ponies like to show how wonderful they are I suspect.

Forgot to mention Zaza, who could forget his run up.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Because the Ronaldo's, Pogba's and assortment of other show ponies like to show how wonderful they are I suspect.

Forgot to mention Zaza, who could forget his run up.

I swear half the changes they make to the rules make them even more confusing and they do it on purpose to create controversy

• Like 1