Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beliall

Wenger out

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Agree.

Wenger built the best PL side in my lifetime. Arsenal's football from 1998 to 2004 was absolutely outstanding. Truly phenomenal. It's a shame the game passed him by. Should have left at least 5 years ago. 

I supported Arsenal in 98 (was more of a part time city fan back then). 

Its not anywhere as special as 2015/16 but from December 97 to May 98 Arsenal were immense. Even the epic 3-3 game with Bergkamps masterclass was a forerun of things to come in a way. The 4-1 win over Blackburn away was close to perfection and above all else the standout memory of the campaign. 

Had Anelka down for stardom but Henry became the player he wasn't and still the best I've seen in the league. Of course 2009 spoiled it but that's another story. 

They beat man utd twice that season too. From 1992 to 2000 only one other team managed it in a season. 2 Times in about 180 attempts. 

I signed out of Arsenal fandom after the 3-2 fa Cup semi final loss to utd the following year. Just drifted from them and opted to support Leicester full time from 1999/2000 onwards. 

I missed the majority of the golden years and it looked stupid given the appalling state of us from Wycombe 01 right up to Leeds in 09. Of course I missed out on the s:::storm that was Arsenal Fans TV so just as well. Not to mention that whole 5,000/1 thing 2 seasons ago eh? 

Was glad we didn't beat them in 2004 as the die was cast for both of us.in retrospect the 2005 4-2 defeat at home to Utd was where the golden era ended .  Keane and Ferguson came out on top over Vieira and Wenger. Was a crucial battle to lose. As did the 09 semi final collapse in the champions league. 

It's a bit sad for Wenger to bow out in such an underwhelming way. Fa Cup wins have only sugared the pill slightly although winning the UEFA Cup would be a good finale. 

At the same time top level complacency was a major factor for our moment of glory.Maybe we owe Wenger and the Arsenal board a great deal....

not sure what their fans are expecting tbh. whoever comes in won’t last the season. they’ve got a squad who are about good enough to finish 5th or 6th and they’re going to finish 5th or 6th. 

the only reason wenger hasn’t been sacked is out of loyalty to him, whoever comes in and performs similarly won’t have that reasoning so will be out the door asap imo. 

6 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Sometimes, he came across as bland and slightly arrogant and his accent in interviews was/still is rather amusing, but when you look at the piece the BBC have put online again:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43834283

there's simply few bad words you can say about Arsène. You can't but like and respect him for what he's achieved.

Look at how well-prepared he came to the press conference back in 1996, how eloquently he spoke, how patient he was with the media. After all, he's a very likable person, rarely throwing tantrums in public, well-mannered, elegant, classy.

22 years at Arsenal is an incredible feat and the amount of top players he could mould in his image and the ones he gave a headstart is sheer endless.

A true professor of football, academic, yet still very tangible. His influence on football and football in England in particular with regards to training and dieting should never be underestimated.

I'd love to see him at least one more title this season, lifting that Europa League trophy.

The best tribute I can give him,and with meaning..

Forest, I hated,until Clough became their manager.

Arsenal, I didnt hate them, that shows too much emotion,I just disliked Them,that I

Just ignored them.until Wenger took over the reins,they became simply a joy to watch.

So I could enjoy a love - hate relationship..

Mr Arsène Wenger,  thankyou and my full blooded respect.

Edited by fuchsntf

I've got huge respect for Mr Wenger and his legacy at Arsenal will be evident for many generations to come. Hopefully, the majority will remember him for the good reasons and respect that his love for the club was the reason he found it hard to walk away.

If England do badly at the World Cup and Southgate is sacked then I hope Wenger is the first man to be offered the job. I think the idea of insisting on an English manager is narrow minded and wrong when there is no real suitable candidate under this criteria. I'm sure most people though would be happy to see Wenger as an honorary and accept that his 22 year career at the top end of English football means he deserves to be considered. 

AS opposing fans it's easy to take the p!ss  or try and hammer Wenger for the failure of the last few years BUT he will go in the history books as one of the greats alongside Ferguson,Shankly,Clough and O'Neil!!!

Turned football culture upside down and changed Arsenal into a winning club. Took ownership of Arsenal but didn't turn them into moneybags "pay what you want for any player" club like Man.City.

We will NEVER see a manager who as an unknown made such a positive influence to football and ONE club. 

Hopefully after we churn out a 0-0 bore draw with them at our place in a few weeks,we can show him some respect.

14 hours ago, Donut said:

Even in the bad times, they've still won 3 recent fa cups and only two seasons outside the top 4. its not been a disaster

I seriously hope that whoever takes over makes a complete mess of it. Arsenal fans may then realise how bloody good they had it for so long. 5live was hilarious listening whenever they lost with Wenger in charge, l would tune in just to hear Arsenal ‘fans’ bleating and moaning. 20 years plus of Champions League football on the spin, if only ! 

10 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

I seriously hope that whoever takes over makes a complete mess of it. Arsenal fans may then realise how bloody good they had it for so long. 5live was hilarious listening whenever they lost with Wenger in charge, l would tune in just to hear Arsenal ‘fans’ bleating and moaning. 20 years plus of Champions League football on the spin, if only ! 

It's all relative though isn't it. When Leicester got grief for sacking Ranieri after all he'd done, practically saying we should accept relegation, well in Arsenal terms, their decline from title challengers to top 4 contenders to struggling to make the top 6 is the same. For a club that size it hasn't been good enough in the last few years, in the same way languishing in the relegation zone isn't good enough for a club our size. If we're not happy with being criticised for sacking our most succssful manager when he had us going down, we shouldn't criticise Arsenal fans for wanting their most successful one gone when he's taking them away from where the club reasonably should be. Top 4 to them is like comfortably surviving to us, a title is like European qualification to us, right now they aren't close to either.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

I supported Arsenal in 98 (was more of a part time city fan back then). 

Its not anywhere as special as 2015/16 but from December 97 to May 98 Arsenal were immense. Even the epic 3-3 game with Bergkamps masterclass was a forerun of things to come in a way. The 4-1 win over Blackburn away was close to perfection and above all else the standout memory of the campaign. 

Had Anelka down for stardom but Henry became the player he wasn't and still the best I've seen in the league. Of course 2009 spoiled it but that's another story. 

They beat man utd twice that season too. From 1992 to 2000 only one other team managed it in a season. 2 Times in about 180 attempts. 

I signed out of Arsenal fandom after the 3-2 fa Cup semi final loss to utd the following year. Just drifted from them and opted to support Leicester full time from 1999/2000 onwards. 

I missed the majority of the golden years and it looked stupid given the appalling state of us from Wycombe 01 right up to Leeds in 09. Of course I missed out on the s:::storm that was Arsenal Fans TV so just as well. Not to mention that whole 5,000/1 thing 2 seasons ago eh? 

Was glad we didn't beat them in 2004 as the die was cast for both of us.in retrospect the 2005 4-2 defeat at home to Utd was where the golden era ended .  Keane and Ferguson came out on top over Vieira and Wenger. Was a crucial battle to lose. As did the 09 semi final collapse in the champions league. 

It's a bit sad for Wenger to bow out in such an underwhelming way. Fa Cup wins have only sugared the pill slightly although winning the UEFA Cup would be a good finale. 

At the same time top level complacency was a major factor for our moment of glory.Maybe we owe Wenger and the Arsenal board a great deal....

They were always my favourite neutral team to watch. Not so much nowadays but the likes of Pires, Bergkamp, Henry, Ljunberg etc were so good. Vieira is still the best "PL" midfielder ever for me.