Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Are we (the Fans) on the beach?

Delicate one, without sounding plastic/fair weather fan - but...

For me, driving 300 miles round trip to the KP to watch absolute dross has lost some of its appeal. I don’t think I have unreasonable expectations and don’t expect to win each match - but sitting through 90 minutes of turgid, lifeless, attritional, soulless pile of Puel dog mess has had an effect on whether I make the journey. 

• Like 1

My Ticket out on loan.can't face that dross again.I will follow game via phone as I can't quite let go.Looking forward to resuming support when hes gone.He is clueless .Don't blame the players they don't play players out of position or play inferior players leaving better on the bench.In fact if we persist with him it might generate more excitement eventually as we will be pushing for a play-off place in 2 years with a new manager.

14 minutes ago, Milo said:

Delicate one, without sounding plastic/fair weather fan - but...

For me, driving 300 miles round trip to the KP to watch absolute dross has lost some of its appeal. I don’t think I have unreasonable expectations and don’t expect to win each match - but sitting through 90 minutes of turgid, lifeless, attritional, soulless pile of Puel dog mess has had an effect on whether I make the journey. 

With you on that one, we'll be doing best part of 300 for West Ham Saturday, dont know why tbh, Oh yeah, to meet the lads and have a couple of beers, only reason.

I remember when we were treading water in the Championship I'd normally travel down (400 mile round trip) for a game when I felt the team really needed my support. It was different back then because the players tried so hard but they were just utter tripe. Williams and Hughes were just passengers in midfield and we ironically had an abundance of right backs - I think I recall us having 7 right backs fighting for one position :blink: It was easier supporting the team back then IMO as you took a win as a massive bonus and knew that only investment was the solution for us to improve. 

Fast-forward to now and things are different. For one we don't have any right backs but we do have decent players. Do they try? Of course they do, I don't believe any professional at that level would consciously be on their holidays. The problem is we have a team of good individuals who haven't got a clue how to play well as a team at the moment. The cause of this is obviously the manager but going down and supporting Puel isn't going to make the players more tactical aware so there's not a lot we can do other than hope that Puel manages to sort it out. Bad situation at the moment and hopefully it'll get rid of some of the plastics that have been clogging the arteries of the KP for too long. 

If you weren't really a supporter back when we were crap, became a regular when we were good and are now not going any more during this spell you are a plastic. Good bye and stay gone. 

• Like 2

Last night my mate who’s a Palace fan said despite our fans who he felt for! we were the worst team they’d seen in 4 seasons and that includes their Pardew days and a couple of lower league teams in the Cup. They thought we would be solid relegation candidates next season. 

says it all really ☹️

If the football is exciting, and the results are good, the atmosphere in the stadium will be lively. Unfortunately the opposite is also true.

It's up to the players (and manager) to entertain and stimulate us. Not the other way round. They are the entertainers. We are the customers.

I know Birch always does his "you can and you do make a difference" spiel before the game - and generally the pre-match excitement is always there. It's just when we start rolling the ball around harmlessly from side to side - and then concede a goal - that the atmosphere is deadened.

It's a bit like a stand-up comedian coming on stage to rapturous acclaim and then 'losing' the audience by telling unfunny  jokes. You wouldn't expect the audience to keep clapping and laughing just to gee him/her on.

If the entertainment is crap, a subdued or negative response is inevitable.

If we actually score first against West Ham, play well, then possibly add another and win the game, I assure you the fans will not be 'on the beach'.

Edited by Hammo
  • Like 4

I have to say, since winning the league it is hard to give a crap most games now. There’s been a few where I’ve cared like I used to. I love this club with all my heart and I’ll never support another team but they’re not inspiring me much nowadays. Perhaps a season or two back in the EFL wouldn’t be a terrible thing? 

Contreversial i know! 

Who can blame us. There is so much disconnection between club and fans. I expect us to sack Puel, get in a new manager and sack him and keep going around in circles untill we're relegated. Perhaps then the owners might look at their trusted recruitment team.

I know it's up to the fans to get the atmosphere going, but when the performances are so 'meh' and you know that creating a noise won't drive them forward, it's tough to get yourself up for it. 

It wouldn't be half as bad if we were on the front foot and giving it a go, and it's not been as bad all season. Best home atmosphere was probably Man United- I know everyone had been down the pub for 5 hours, but the players gave them a go with 10 men and we got right behind them, then got our rewards. When you know that going 1-0 down to dross like Newcastle means we're not going to win, it's no surprise that it's bad. 

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

If the football is exciting, and the results are good, the atmosphere in the stadium will be lively. Unfortunately the opposite is also true.

It's up to the players (and manager) to entertain and stimulate us. Not the other way round. They are the entertainers. We are the customers.

I know Birch always does his "you can and you do make a difference" spiel before the game - and generally the pre-match excitement is always there. It's just when we start rolling the ball around harmlessly from side to side - and then concede a goal - that the atmosphere is deadened.

It's a bit like a stand-up comedian coming on stage to rapturous acclaim and then 'losing' the audience by telling unfunny  jokes. You wouldn't expect the audience to keep clapping and laughing just to gee him/her on.

If the entertainment is crap, a subdued or negative response is inevitable.

If we actually score first against West Ham, play well, then possibly add another and win the game, I assure you the fans will not be 'on the beach'.

This. We don't get paid silly money like those useless wasters on the pitch, we're actually paying for the privilege. The onus is 100% on the players to make the running. Accusing fans of being "on the beach" is juvenile, patronising and just plain silly. Despite all this "we're the 12th man" stuff, the simple truth is that we're mere observers at the end of the day and can do absolutely nothing to affect the game. I do laugh at fans who actually think they make a difference to a game's outcome.

• Like 1

not just motivation that may have been exposed but as people are saying playing players out of position, juggling with formations including in the games themselves can't help. But there are also issues of ability- the continued faith in Chigwell is the most obvious one.

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Home Fans have been on the beach since everton (h) 2016 apart from the five CL nights

we used to be so loud at the beginning of games that the opposition fans couldn’t be heard at all. 

Imo, the ‘famed’ KP atmosphere has been absent past two PL  campaigns. 

100% agree. We should be supporting the team and being the 12th man that we were the season we won the league. It’s easy for fans to blame the manager, the players, rudkin - all of whom do need to take responsibility, but so do the fans imo. Shocking atmosphere for too long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dooflip said:

100% agree. We should be supporting the team and being the 12th man that we were the season we won the league. It’s easy for fans to blame the manager, the players, rudkin - all of whom do need to take responsibility, but so do the fans imo. Shocking atmosphere for too long.

Shocking football for too long, do peeps not understand it is hard to get excited when the ball often travels between our players in non dangerous areas of the pitch and when a ball should, could be played forwards it just goes backwards again.

Sitting there watching that stuff match after match, often with no shots on target for a good twenty minutes drains you of any emotion other than muted anger and boredom and yes, twenty minutes easily goes by these days with no shots on target during home games because I will look at the clock and comment on how lethargic we are and how are we expected to win games when all we do is try to keep possession so the opposition cant hurt us, but then they do because even the sideways passing often goes astray.

The last home game I was about to shout, " the goals that way!" when we suddenly actually had a shot on target, during the same game a lot of talking was going on in the stands about the frustration building up watching football of such dire quality.

It actually wasn't too bad yesterday. Our end was good in spells.

As others have said though, there's a horrific arrogance and complacency that's now set in among our home support. Expecting to be entertained before they consider opening their gobs. Football doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

I am I’ll be the first to admit it.  It’s not just the football the moaning is just OTT yes we are shocking at the minute but before he took over we were in a relegation battle.

But 5-0 reverses at Crystal Palace certainly aren’t going to help.

The board either need to make the decision to sack or fully back in the summer and everyone involved with the club needs to accept it if it’s the latter and see what he can do with a full summer behind him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I am I’ll be the first to admit it.  It’s not just the football the moaning is just OTT yes we are shocking at the minute but before he took over we were in a relegation battle.

But 5-0 reverses at Crystal Palace certainly aren’t going to help.

The board either need to make the decision to sack or fully back in the summer and everyone involved with the club needs to accept it if it’s the latter and see what he can do with a full summer behind him.

We have no option but to accept it... but we can make our views known on ft