Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Spurs 5 (FIVE) - Leicester 4 (FOUR)

13 hours ago, Tuna said:

I think this game just about sums us up.

Started the season losing 4-3 at Arsenal, ended it losing 5-4 at Spurs.

It's amazing we've stayed up in the premier league with Morgan, Fuchs, Chilwell and Simpson in defence.

Need massive investment all over the pitch, and possibly a new manager.

I am with most in that we need some

investment in the squad next season, especially in light of our senior players getting old and out of pace, such as Morgan and Simpson. Fuchs is still okay with his crosses and his overall attitude.

We cannot fall into the same mentality as other clubs. ”Overhaul” does not mean better.  Let’s not forget we won the league two seasons ago with the same players (except Kante who was hugely important). Despite millions pouring into most other clubs - the “overhaul” you are talking about - they didn’t achieve the same success.

We need to dig deep and work out a way that keeps the winning mentality the club and the players had and carry on. An “overhaul” is definitely not going to bring us success. Careful planning and adjustment will. Players like Vardy and Fuchs etc with their total attitude of commitment are very hard to come by, and they are what made the success of this club. We should pay over the odds for Vardy to stay - it is ridiculous that he is on only 100k a week when he could easily earn 3 times that elsewhere and he is so important to the club. His attitude feeds the winning mentality of this club. When he goes, we will be lucky to just be in EPL let alone fans dreaming to become top 6 again.

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

I am with most in that we need some

investment in the squad next season, especially in light of our senior players getting old and out of pace, such as Morgan and Simpson. Fuchs is still okay with his crosses and his overall attitude.

We cannot fall into the same mentality as other clubs. ”Overhaul” does not mean better.  Let’s not forget we won the league two seasons ago with the same players (except Kante who was hugely important). Despite millions pouring into most other clubs - the “overhaul” you are talking about - they didn’t achieve the same success.

We need to dig deep and work out a way that keeps the winning mentality the club and the players had and carry on. An “overhaul” is definitely not going to bring us success. Careful planning and adjustment will. Players like Vardy and Fuchs etc with their total attitude of commitment are very hard to come by, and they are what made the success of this club. We should pay over the odds for Vardy to stay - it is ridiculous that he is on only 100k a week when he could easily earn 3 times that elsewhere and he is so important to the club. His attitude feeds the winning mentality of this club. When he goes, we will be lucky to just be in EPL let alone fans dreaming to become top 6 again.

I largely agree, but do I have to do so in triplicate? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Before everyone slates our defence (yes they’re not great) our midfield was just as bad defensively. 

We didn’t have anyone in midfield who could win the ball off the opposition and protect the back four. Iborra moving 5 yards side to side without trying to challenge the opposition isn’t protecting the back four. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

This forced our already poor defence to push forwards and press the Tottenham attackers when they got the ball, which left space in behind for runners.

Silva is a trier but someone with his skill set cannot be expected to carry the entire midfields defensive duties. 

If the plan is to sit back and counter, we need to win the ball back first. With Ndidi injured, it should have been Choudhury partnering one of Silva/Iborra.

You're right, I think Puel missed a trick. When we're 3-1 up. Choudhury should have been brought on to protect that lead. The fact that we conceded 5 was fundamentally due to defensive weakness in the squad. We desperately need to sign at least 3 good defenders as a top priority in the summer. 

Edited by Lesta blue

4 minutes ago, Lesta blue said:

You're right, I think Puel missed a trick. When we're 3-1 up. Choudhury should have been brought on to protect that lead. The fact that we conceded 5 was fundamentally due to lack of defensive weakness in the squad. We desperately need to sign at least 3 good defenders as a top priority in the summer. 

Not sure it's the lack of defensive weakness to be fair..... Quite the contrary perhaps 

so disappointing that we let a 3 - 1 lead slip and failed to get eighth place but it's never dull with the foxes. the defence really needs tightening up for next season and we need to cut out the individual defensive errors!.

Great spectacle for fans but not for the purests. So many errors from both sides but some cracking goals.

We didn't deserve to lose the game. What it did show is that we have some quality in the squad and it takes time to play them into the team. We just need to add more quality this Summer.

10 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

What a game. Proabaly the most enjoyable one of ours since 2014. For neutrals anyway. Strange to concede 5 goals and be content with the performance.

A bit sidetracked today with the return of the GAA championships in Ireland and trying to watch both at the same time.

Thought we played very well and were a bit unlucky not to get a draw at least.At long last we've started games more positively.Morgan and Simpson were the weak links and after today surely we wont have them starting regularly. Had we a stronger defence spurs wouldnt have played it around like they did from goals 2-4. A new RB/CB are paramount now. Though Fuchs has played well the last 2 games to be fair to him. On borrowed time yes but he still is effective.

We were sensational at times from midfield up. Some of our play was very smart and created a lot of chances. The goals were magnificent. Gray, Mahrez and Nachoman have had their critics but today was collectively the best they have all played together.   

Vahrez/Mardy has been very kind to us and its a shame they wont play together for us again. It was good while it lasted.

I was ready to kick claude out myself after the Palace disaster but the last 2 games has made me reconsider. Think its worth giving him the first 10 games next season to sort it out. We have enough about us not to be relegated at our best so its worth a gamble.

....our wide men stop tracking back and left the defense exposed. Rose and Maitland-Niles were over loading in the channels and we failed to adjust and continue what we were doing so successfully in the first half.

12 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm hardly eulogising Puel. I'm just saying I would have done the same in his shoes. The result doesn't matter, so why not learn something about the players you plan to use in the next season? As you acknowledge, options are limited, so I can't see what other choice he had, other than Benny, who I'm sure he knows will not feature next season and will also likely get himself an early bath.

I'm no fan of Puel, but I don't think criticising him for the decision to put Choudhury at RB when we're way past bare bones in that position is fair.

.....Simpson was clearly carrying an injury from the previous Arsenal game and to play him 4 days later without cover on the bench was negligent. We had 2 defenders on the subs bench, Benny and Hughes, yet he chose to play a Central Midfielder at right back. If Benny is not to be trusted why include him in the squad.

This is not the first time Puel has overlooked the Right Back position and has played a team with no cover at Right Back before. Simpson is no Superman he either trust him implicitly to hold down his position or he is foolhardy in his thinking and preparation.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Simpson was clearly carrying an injury from the previous Arsenal game and to play him 4 days later without cover on the bench was negligent.

And what right back cover do you suggest he puts on the bench when the only senior we have is Amartey who has been injured for months and a youth team lad, who by all accounts has refused to sign a contract and is leaving.

We had 2 defenders on the subs bench, Benny and Hughes, yet he chose to play a Central Midfielder at right back.

Centre backs and not right backs though, being a CB doesn't instantly make you a better right back than anyone else.

If Benny is not to be trusted why include him in the squad.

Because he's CB cover... and we've already got a bench full of kids due to being down to the bare bones.

This is not the first time Puel has overlooked the Right Back position and has played a team with no cover at Right Back before. Simpson is no Superman he either trust him implicitly to hold down his position or he is foolhardy in his thinking and preparation.

See point 1. What's he meant to do, pluck a right back out of thin air?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Simpson was clearly carrying an injury from the previous Arsenal game and to play him 4 days later without cover on the bench was negligent. We had 2 defenders on the subs bench, Benny and Hughes, yet he chose to play a Central Midfielder at right back. If Benny is not to be trusted why include him in the squad.

What cover are you talking about? Simpson is the only recognised RB in the entire squad. Puel's only option after Simmo is playing someone out of position. Choudhury started off as a RB, I think, so he may be more capable than anyone else. Centre-halves don't always make good full-backs.

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

What cover are you talking about? Simpson is the only recognised RB in the entire squad. Puel's only option after Simmo is playing someone out of position. Choudhury started off as a RB, I think, so he may be more capable than anyone else. Centre-halves don't always make good full-backs.

....true, but Dragovic has played as full back as well as Centre Half. Fuchs has also gone into the centre. Playing Benny (the more experienced) at right back would have made more sense. Admittedly he can be rash in his tackles but still a better option than Choudhury a U23 who had just come off playing his best ever game in his accustomed position. .

We failed to give the fullbacks the support with our wide players not tracking back as they were doing in the first half. Not sure if this was down to fatigue or complacency. 

56 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....true, but Dragovic has played as full back as well as Centre Half. Fuchs has also gone into the centre. Playing Benny (the more experienced) at right back would have made more sense. Admittedly he can be rash in his tackles but still a better option than Choudhury a U23 who had just come off playing his best ever game in his accustomed position. .

We failed to give the fullbacks the support with our wide players not tracking back as they were doing in the first half. Not sure if this was down to fatigue or complacency. 

It may be as simple as Puel wanted to see how he'd perform as a full back and no better game to give it a try when the game meant nothing.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah... and he was absolutely awful there as well. I don't need reminding of the Watford away game and how awful he was there.

.....I think you have abbreviated my response for some reason. The gist was that as Centre Halfs can play in fullback positions and vice versa Benny  could have covered. 

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I think you have abbreviated my response for some reason. The gist was that as Centre Halfs can play in fullback positions and vice versa Benny  could have covered. 

And my point is they can be equally as shit there as anyone else.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....our wide men stop tracking back and left the defense exposed. Rose and Maitland-Niles were over loading in the channels and we failed to adjust and continue what we were doing so successfully in the first half.

Who?

Gifted them the first goal

Unlucky for their third

Gifted them their fourth

Poor defending for their fifth

Makes me sound really bitter but that could've been so much different. Really enjoyed the match overall but we completely shot ourselves in the foot time and time and time again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Sad as indeed. I saw him doing some kind of dance as the cameras panned away from the game after a Spurs goal. I wonder if he does the same at Newcastle games he's invited to...or Lazio or Rangers or Middles..etc, etc.

Sitting next to a player I admired so much - Gary Mabbutt - the difference was striking. And what fifteen seconds of basking in dubious fame would warrant shelling out £60 for his autograph - maybe in his heyday but, as you say, it's just sad (and embarrassing) to behold.

Not sure how true this is but I've heard it from more than one source that Gazza is currently living in Wistow (between Kilby and Fleckney). Apparently trying to dry out after recently falling off the wagon again!