Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Muzzy_no7

2017/2018 away followings

19 hours ago, Donut said:

Ever thought that it might not be that easy to go to the end of the country, on a Wednesday night, right before Christmas? for anyone that has a vaguely normal life with a family and a job?

It wasn't a criticism, just a statement as someone asked if it was sold out

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Who says you have to measure it? 

20 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

It's weird how it's often the only metric by which we ever judge how good a fanbase is in this country.

:wes:

I was responding to this. I even quoted it. 

You alright there? 

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

How else are you meant to do it in a way that's actually measurable with the data we have, though? 

Obviously you COULD do volume or consistency of sound but I don't think every ground is currently recording decibel levels is it? 

I kind of mean anecdotally, rather than using actual science/data. Though decibel levels would, for me, be a better indicator of what actually constitutes a good away support.

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I kind of mean anecdotally, rather than using actual science/data. Though decibel levels would, for me, be a better indicator of what actually constitutes a good away support.

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, it's just gossip. We've all got our own bias, confirmation bias, perceptions, where we sit in the ground, the context of the game. 

Let's say West Brom* come to Leicester and their team are desperate for the points and in an unusually open game, the ref makes a few howlers in our favour and they still win anyway. 

Their fans are immensely excited and elated and even the old ladies down the front are singing Lords My Shepherd and yelling Boing Boing at L1. 

Their support could be crap at every other ground but someone sat in the Family Stand might think they were the noisiest fans they've ever heard and formulate the belief that West Brom have great fans. 

Meanwhile, that same game Bochum are visiting and in the UFS corner it's louder than normal for the whole game so nobody up there really hears WBA for the full ninety. They go away thinking West Broms support is crap. 

Attendance is a measurable criteria that we can actually see and prove (mostly, allowing for some ticket wastage) - nothing else really is, unless a university happen to be doing a seismic study on the day - thanks Leo. It's not really surprising its the only measure that tends to get trotted out to assess support. 

*pure example. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, it's just gossip. We've all got our own bias, confirmation bias, perceptions, where we sit in the ground, the context of the game. 

Let's say West Brom* come to Leicester and their team are desperate for the points and in an unusually open game, the ref makes a few howlers in our favour and they still win anyway. 

Their fans are immensely excited and elated and even the old ladies down the front are singing Lords My Shepherd and yelling Boing Boing at L1. 

Their support could be crap at every other ground but someone sat in the Family Stand might think they were the noisiest fans they've ever heard and formulate the belief that West Brom have great fans. 

Meanwhile, that same game Bochum are visiting and in the UFS corner it's louder than normal for the whole game so nobody up there really hears WBA for the full ninety. They go away thinking West Broms support is crap. 

Attendance is a measurable criteria that we can actually see and prove (mostly, allowing for some ticket wastage) - nothing else really is, unless a university happen to be doing a seismic study on the day - thanks Leo. It's not really surprising its the only measure that tends to get trotted out to assess support. 

*pure example. 

Yeah, I'm not really disputing that though? I think the point I'm trying to make is that attendance is often the only way we ever use in this country to judge the relative merit of any given away support. Fine, it's based in fact, I get that, but it's absurd when you see comments about a vocally good away support who are judged poorly because they didn't take a full allocation, for example.

22 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, I'm not really disputing that though? I think the point I'm trying to make is that attendance is often the only way we ever use in this country to judge the relative merit of any given away support. Fine, it's based in fact, I get that, but it's absurd when you see comments about a vocally good away support who are judged poorly because they didn't take a full allocation, for example.

Probably the best bet is to just not pay any attention to people judging any other club's support at all tbf. 

You only ever generally see them in one or two games a year and home is vastly different to away. 

To answer the original question ...

It's been harder to work out away attendances, as they are not being shown very often in match reports.  Or in the LCFC programme any more.

We have sold out most away games, and the attendances are listed below (to the nearest 100). 

The ones we didn't sell out are approximations based on how ticket sales appeared to be going a day or two before the game.

(the approx ones should be about right give of take 100/200)

v Arsenal            2900
 v Man Utd            3100
 v Huddersfield Town  2300
 v Bournemouth        1300
 v Swansea City       1800 approx
 v Stoke City         2300
 v West Ham Utd       3000
 v Newcastle Utd      2500 approx
 v Southampton        1700 approx
 v Watford            2200
 v Liverpool          2900
 v Chelsea            3000
 v Everton            1700 approx
 v Man City           3000
 v West Brom          2700
 v Brighton & HA      3000
 v Burnley            2500
 v Crystal Palace     2900
 v Tottenham Hotspur  3100

v Sheff Utd          2300 (League Cup)

v Fleetwood Town     1100 (FA Cup)
 v Peterborough Utd   4200 (FA Cup)

Notes:
 - Stoke should have been 3000, but the City inexplicably only asked for 2300 because of lunctime TV KO.
 - Peterborough quoted the away attendance as 3999, although the City claimed to have sold 4200 tickets.

• Like 2