Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Overweight staff should be able to show up for work an hour late, government advisor says

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

agreed.

That's what I love about my job - we have 'core hours' at work where everyone needs to be 'at work' but they can do their regular hours within these times. Core hours being 8am to 6pm so if you wanted you could start late and finish late (10am to 6pm) or start early, finish early (8am to 4pm). Or be flexible as long as its agreed with your boss/team that you can do this. Works very well across the immediate team as well as the organisation as you're comfortable with hours you've chosen and you know where you stand. 

Just out of curiosity,  do most people come in 8-4 or 9-5 or 10-6?   I think I would still come in at 9am,  8am is too early for me and I cannot be bothered to get home late if I finish at 6pm.  However I appreciate that I do not really have any responsibilities (kids, dogs not even a plant etc)  which can have some bearing on other people's decisions.  

Edited by The Blur

4 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Just out of curiosity,  do most people come in 8-4 or 9-5 or 10-6?   I think I would still come in at 9am,  8am is too early for me and I cannot be bothered to get home late if I finish at 6pm.  However I appreciate that I do not really have any responsibilities (kids, dogs not even a plant etc)  which can have some bearing on other people's decisions.  

i used to think there would be no way i’d ever want to do any particularly early shifts but they’re my absolute go-to shifts if i get an option now. 

if i get up for a 6am start or a 9am start i’m still gonna need an alarm and still gonna struggle to the shower first thing. but the absolute difference in quality of the day and life in general when you’re out in the sunshine at half 1 in the afternoon instead of sat in traffic until 6, rushing to get some tea down and then having a snooze on the couch is ridiculous. 

early starts are glorious, basically. 

17 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I am well and truly overweight, just under 18stone, and it mostly caused by eating the wrong food, and lack of exercise.

It is ridiculous to say overweight people should be allowed to start work an hour late. People like me, have no right to any preferential treatment, and are causing massive problems for the NHS, etc. I feel badly about myself, as five years ago I was 13 stone. Surgery to my foot and knee haven't help, but I do not use that in anyway as an excuse. Being retired, and bored silly, I consume "comfort food", and can't be bothered to exercise. Purely my own fault, and just like the majority of obese people out there.

It's never too late, DT.

Exercise doesn't have to be hard work either - have you considered swimming?

2 hours ago, The Blur said:

I'm a home-worker so I can be very flexible, more so than your standard office worker. I tend to do 8-4 though. Like Scouse, I much prefer to finish early and have the evening to do things and enjoy time to myself. And even if I have to work extra, that'd mean only finishing at 5ish which still gives me plenty of time in the evening. 

8 hours ago, Captain... said:

Everyone in an office based job should be allowed to show up late for work, or early to suit their needs as long as they work the required number of hours and it doesn’t impair their ability to do their job.

This, we would be much better off trying to eliminate unhealthy work-life balances contributing to the health problems this country faces than going for a simple, half-baked solution that singles people out and breeds resentment and perceived entitlement.

Also, rather than being excluding from public transport I find being on the heavier side of things is very useful in making sure you can get onto a packed Metrolink tram.

Be an hour late cos the fat lazy ****ers can't get out of bed because they have sleep apnoea because they're so obese?

Why would employers even give a ****? Sack them. Work isn't charity, it's work... employ people who are fit enough and can actually work the contracted hours. Let the fat benefit scroungers ****s get fatter on supermarket pizzas and cheap cola. Get a ****ing job and take responsibility you lazy fat twats.

oops?

10 hours ago, Parafox said:

Be an hour late cos the fat lazy ****ers can't get out of bed because they have sleep apnoea because they're so obese?

Why would employers even give a ****? Sack them. Work isn't charity, it's work... employ people who are fit enough and can actually work the contracted hours. Let the fat benefit scroungers ****s get fatter on supermarket pizzas and cheap cola. Get a ****ing job and take responsibility you lazy fat twats.

oops?

Dont think i can understand what side of the fence you are on at all.....:ph34r:

18 hours ago, The Blur said:

I am supposed to work 8 to 4 but right now am working special hours of 715 to 315 to help accomodate getting my kids from school/ daycare. I work in an office  and prefer early hours. My previous job i worked 7 to 3. Was perfect. With the ability  to work from home and the fact my job is in IT theres no reason i cant work these hours just as much as someone working 10 to 6.  I think as long as you are working during core business hours (to me thats a solid 5 hour window of say 10 to 3) then theres no problem.

The idea depends on the nearness as to where they live and work.

If a fat/obese individual only lives a maximum of 20 minutes away from their workplace, they should be able to walk themselves to the location before their shift.

If they live a good few miles away or more, the idea could apply but it just sounds like an excuse to cut their work time just because, largely through their own fault, they over-weight.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

On 04/06/2018 at 16:51, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Sorry... the only reason they have given for fat people to be given special treatment is "it can be having a bit of understanding that someone might need to turn up at 10am because they have trouble with transport or anxiety about transport." What?

I think it's dangerous to tread too carefully around the whole "fat-shaming" malarky. Most cases of obesity are due to poor diet and lack of exercise and can be prevented. If everyone thinks it's ok to be fat (and gets to skip rush hour) then it's surely going to lead to more cases of obesity, more strain on the NHS, more flab hanging over seats on planes and public transport, more unnecessary mobility scooters

And E-Bikes. Bloody E-Bikes. Hate them, hate them with a passion.