Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Master Puel

26 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

We would've had pretty much a whole summer transfer window to prepare for it leading up to July 26th. Not every Europa League-worthy player features at the World Cup.

21 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Not all ten players will feature for their respective teams constantly, and not all of them will make it to the final.

Most players would've had a chance of getting some holidays in between and returning for training already.

With this following squad at our disposal, there's no chance of beating a "lesser" team in the second qualifying round? Seriously?

Jakupovic/2nd goalkeeper

Simpson

Evans

Morgan

Chilwell/Fuchs

Mahrez/Diabaté

Iborra/Mendy

King/Amartey

Albrighton/Gray

Slimani

Ulloa

That's before dabbling with the inclusion of two or three new arrivals.

You must rate these players really lowly then.

It's not about not rating players or the squad, or our chances of doing well in Europe - we saw last year we are certainly good enough to play in the Champions League.

But we need to be able to cope with both of them. There's no point of playing in Europe if it lets our league form and position suffer. The current squad IMO is not good enough to do both. 

Puel has a history of managing clubs in France with both league and Europe on at the same time. With the players we're going after I think we can finish very high in the league next season without Europe then continue to develop as Claudio once said, zlowly zlowly.

Long-term is more important than the short-term.

I've calmed down a lot since the end of last season. I was all for giving him time and letting him bring in his own players  but the few performances prior to Arsenal pushed me into the Puel Out Camp.

Now the dust has settled and  I've seen a couple of decent signings, assuming Evans is a done deal, and I'm feeling a lot more optimistic.

I just hope we manage to offload a few or the wage bill will be even more horrendous than it already is.

Worst case scenario is that we sack him but we now have a much more multi-skilled, youthful squad. His transfer track record is fairly impressive and even if it’s still a bit dour he’s mostly sorted out a rebuilding job already.

Edited by Wookie

15 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I hope he crashes and fvcking burns. Can’t stand the bloke or the way he has us playing.

I know, he's turned a side playing champagne football into a turgid one who only pass it sideways and backwards. #PuelOUT 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Haha 1

Think people are jumping the gun a bit... We have signed Pereira so far, with Evans very likely.

We know what we are getting with Evans, a solid CB with Prem experience. Pereira is still unknown in this league and only 24.

There is still a lot of work to be done in this window, with another 3-4 players needed, as well as the harder task of moving some on. 

Even if we have a successful window, Puel has a lot of work to do if he wants to make a success here and I still have doubts that a man so dull and uninspiring, can actually get his message across to the players and consistently. 

Jury still well an truly out for me, but as soon as it was decided he was staying, I renewed my hope and was confident he would at least have a decent transfer window. So far, so good... 

Edited by STUHILL

37 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's not about not rating players or the squad, or our chances of doing well in Europe - we saw last year we are certainly good enough to play in the Champions League.

But we need to be able to cope with both of them. There's no point of playing in Europe if it lets our league form and position suffer. The current squad IMO is not good enough to do both. 

Puel has a history of managing clubs in France with both league and Europe on at the same time. With the players we're going after I think we can finish very high in the league next season without Europe then continue to develop as Claudio once said, zlowly zlowly.

Long-term is more important than the short-term.

It's all a matter of perspective.

You're painting a rather negative picture when we haven't even the whole canvas at our disposal.

I see it from the other angle.

You say it yourself, it's the "current" squad - lots of things can and will change over the course of the next four to six weeks, before, during and after the World Cup. This summer is a glorious occasion to rectify transfer mishaps of the past and create a healthy squad and healthy competition for places, rejuvenating an aging team. One can expect a couple of more interesting signings and a few older/more established players leaving the club also.

I've pretty much listed a barebone team consisting of many players you'd usually find on the bench. A team strong enough to potentially carry us through the second and third Europa League qualifying round. Until the first team had come back from holidays, we'd have had enough squad depth to cope with both competitions, either in the EL third qualifying round or in the group stages.

It'd have also given the fringe players a first and probably last opportunity to present themselves before the transfer window closes in early August.

How much higher do you see us finishing in the league next season?

And Ligue 1 doesn't equal Premier League. Puel's record in France isn't an appropriate indicator of how well he'll do over here. Just look at how erratic league finishes for most Ligue 1 clubs have been over the past dozen or fifteen years, that includes Lille OSC or OGC Nice (with or without Puel)! Hardly comparable.

Edited by MC Prussian

16 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I hope he crashes and fvcking burns. Can’t stand the bloke or the way he has us playing.

This is my favourite kind of FT post

Balls to the wall opinion, not pulling any punches.  I dont understand the vitriol towards Puel, he seems such a quiet sort of bloke, but I enjoy your passion and clarity of view

It adds drama to next season as well. Imagine if he has us playing good football, winning games and playing in a style that pleases you. Think of the joy you will feel in that scenario on the back of your pessimistic feeling about him. I would envy you.

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Not all ten players will feature for their respective teams constantly, and not all of them will make it to the final.

Most players would've had a chance of getting some holidays in between and returning for training already.

With this following squad at our disposal, there's no chance of beating a "lesser" team in the second qualifying round? Seriously?

Jakupovic/2nd goalkeeper

Simpson

Evans

Morgan

Chilwell/Fuchs

Mahrez/Diabaté

Iborra/Mendy

King/Amartey

Albrighton/Gray

Slimani

Ulloa

That's before dabbling with the inclusion of two or three new arrivals.

You must rate these players really lowly then.

No all 10 won't feature frequently; was simply a point to raise that they'd probably be late back to pre-season or even start of the season. Some may not be effected at all, but it's something to consider.

Once again; never did i mention that we wouldn't be able to beat a lesser team in the qualifying rounds, was merely stating that last season we struggled when we had a fair few absentees in key positions.

We'd have a great shot at Europe, but as we've seen from the past, teams can struggle in their Europa season due to the travel and playing commitments and our squad was sparse in areas last season.

12 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

This is my favourite kind of FT post

Balls to the wall opinion, not pulling any punches.  I dont understand the vitriol towards Puel, he seems such a quiet sort of bloke, but I enjoy your passion and clarity of view

It adds drama to next season as well. Imagine if he has us playing good football, winning games and playing in a style that pleases you. Think of the joy you will feel in that scenario on the back of you pessimistic feeling about him. I would envy you.

I love it when supposed fans of our football club hope we fail.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I know, he's turned a side playing champagne football into a turgid one who only pass it sideways and backwards. #PuelOUT 

Maybe Asda's own champagne. Nothing champagne about watching the 400th Morgan long ball bounce out of play. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

It was champagne two years ago, but it’s been more like a cheap nasty prosecco since. We were being found out and had to adapt - hence Puel. Give him time.

*didnt see above post when typing!

Edited by bmouth_fox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

It was champagne two years ago, but it’s been more like a cheap nasty prosecco since. We were being found out and had to adapt - hence Puel. Give him time.

I assume the "Champagne football" bit was tongue in cheek

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

We had to adapt?!

You're seriously telling me you didn't enjoy paying good money every week to watch Simpson and Morgan lumping balls into channels for Vardy to aimlessly chase? You traitor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think he's shit and if just signing players makes you a good manager then Martin Allen would have been our greatest manager ever.

He's staying now though so there's no point worrying about it but we need to see a rapid improvement next season.

I think most of us have calmed down a bit and will hit the reset button going into the new season with CP. The early transfer business is very encouraging indeed, but make no mistake, his job is to manage the squad and he should be judged on the way he gets the team to perform.

Would be more worried if the club hadn't signed a couple of defenders to be honest. However, Puel still has to integrate them into a playing style, something he's not looked very adept at thus far. That's why I still think it'll all end in tears.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Personally speaking, it was only really a run of 5 games that had me concerned (below) and some of those were probably on the back of some injuries. There were other poor results, but they were mixed in with some decent wins and draws.

Like you say, depends on the team buying into it... sometimes that just takes a few wins and for the players to see that what he's asking for actually works.

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.13.07.png

that was a truly terrible run - just seeing it gives me horrors , imagine if wed been in relegation strife prior to this. Performances (burnley excepted) were horrific too - 

4 minutes ago, surrifox said:

that was a truly terrible run - just seeing it gives me horrors , imagine if wed been in relegation strife prior to this. Performances (burnley excepted) were horrific too - 

The Brighton game should be included even though we got three points. That was an awful game all around.

Edited by The_77

He wasn't my choice as Manager but I've been prepared to back him since he's got the job. 

A good friend of mine who had 800 people work under him once told me to never underestimate shyness or quietness for foolishness or weakness. In his experience it usually demonstrated intelligence and calmness even in adversity.

Puel is neither silly or stupid,  He's a respected Coach with good pedigree both here and in France. He knows the European scene well and apparently works well with players both young and old. He's prepared to back his judgement by giving younger players a chance. That deserves a lot of respect given how trigger happy Owners in general are.

I believe if given the time he will build a lasting legacy here, and our recent signings supports that view. 

It might be rocky at the beginning while he imposes his plans onto the squad and just as important they accept them.he was proved right when he said we weren't ready for Europe. Results on the run in proved that.

I don't really care how he's perceived once he gets results. For that he's going to need support, hang in there and I'm sure we'll be all smiling again soon.

2 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Ooohhhh. You brute you Macho ,you!!!    I Bet you have alot of good mates,...

You must be Leader of the Pack......wiv ya chosen-men....:englandsmile4wf:...:rolleyes: