Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Tunisia v England match thread

8 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

5 is harsh but honestly in disbelief in how so many people thought he was outstanding. He made some very basic errors. One of which would of resulted in a goal from nowhere had he done it against a decent side.

he wasn't outstanding but the errors where minimal 2 at most, he had a solid game

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How was he lucky to stay on the pitch?

It's a penalty but its probably as soft as you can get.

Agree. Their player went down like he'd been shot and as soon as the penalty was awarded he was up celebrating like he's won the lottery. It was embarrassing. 

I think Walker was putting his arms out to let the ball go across the box. 

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

Agree. Their player went down like he'd been shot and as soon as the penalty was awarded he was up celebrating like he's won the lottery. It was embarrassing. 

I think Walker was putting his arms out to let the ball go across the box. 

As Ferdinand pointed out, why is he facing his own goal from a cross. So naive

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

As Ferdinand pointed out, why is he facing his own goal from a cross. So naive

because he isn't a CB and I don't know why he is playing him there, nearly cost us the 3 points yesterday due to his lack of awareness.

I still don't know why Walker and Tripper play together offer the same thing

Totally unconvinced by Southgate, he seems to have got the media eating out of his hand by opening up the England camp to them but he still looks like he hasn't got a clue tactically. I heard a quote from him this morning that "Good team's get late goals" sorry Gareth but good teams don't need late goals.

We have two natural goalscorers in the squad in Vardy and Kane. I get Vardy and Kane don't seem to work so Vardy in on the bench but to bring on Rashford and Loftus-Cheek ahead of him is shocking. As for them changing the game, they just injected pace and never actually threatened to get the goal we needed.

Maguire looked better going forward than he did defensively but him and Walker aren't playing in their desired positions. Not even going to start on the amount of money in the game in this country and how we've arrived at the worlds biggest tournament and are playing defenders out of position. :nono:

Good to win, don't mind Kane when he plays for England, nowhere near convinced we're capable or reaching beyond the last 8 and not buying into the England "love in" the media seem to have going on at the moment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It baffles me too but Southgate must have his reasons. For whatever reason he just doesn't fancy Vardy or think he suits the system or whatever.

It's frustrating as Leicester fans and to us it's bloody obvious, but I've accepted Vardy won't see much game time so I'm just going to get behind England whoever plays.

Having seen England in action at Elland Road, it pains me to say it, but Vardy doesn’t appear to suit the system. I don’t think there’s a single reason, but the way England pass and move doesn’t play to his strengths and no one looks for his runs so his skills are lost. Apart from the Germany friendly, I can’t really recall a game where Vardy has been involved in the game where he gets the ball on a consistent basis in the right areas. 

I’d love for Southgate to develop a counter-attacking plan B, especially for when we play the better countries, but I don’t think Southgate will consider it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Livid said:

Totally unconvinced by Southgate, he seems to have got the media eating out of his hand by opening up the England camp to them but he still looks like he hasn't got a clue tactically. I heard a quote from him this morning that "Good team's get late goals" sorry Gareth but good teams don't need late goals.

I'm very unconvinced too. He strikes me as being a well spoken fool, which is obviously a dangerous mix. My opinion was formed well before he became the England Manager too.

Mind you, I'd be really happy to be proven wrong and we advance a long way into the tournament. :)

55 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How was he lucky to stay on the pitch?

It's a penalty but its probably as soft as you can get.

Can see his argument tbf. Not soft at all, walker has just swung an elbow, argument that that's violent conduct

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Can see his argument tbf. Not soft at all, walker has just swung an elbow, argument that that's violent conduct

He ran into his elbow, there was no intent whatsoever. If you're gonna give that, you've got to give at least one of the rugby tackles on Kane.

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

He ran into his elbow, there was no intent whatsoever. If you're gonna give that, you've got to give at least one of the rugby tackles on Kane.

Walker knows he's there, he's thrown an arm out. No debate, definite pen, case for a red. Let's be clear, you'd be screaming blue murder if it happened up the other end.

Southgates subs though lol Rashford career league goals - 17. Vardy league goals this calendar year - 13. Need a goal, who do you bring on...

Edited by The Doctor

21 minutes ago, Vulpecula said:

I'm very unconvinced too. He strikes me as being a well spoken fool, which is obviously a dangerous mix. My opinion was formed well before he became the England Manager too.

Mind you, I'd be really happy to be proven wrong and we advance a long way into the tournament. :)

Only time will tell I guess, I think he has the courage to drop players who aren't performing and he knows he has a full squad to choose from... If I was him I would keep Vardy back until required so don't blame him for not playing him yesterday, Sterling for me has to be dropped if he continues to persist with him we are going no where

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Walker knows he's there, he's thrown an arm out. No debate, definite pen, case for a red. Let's be clear, you'd be screaming blue murder if it happened up the other end.

Southgates subs though lol Rashford career league goals - 17. Vardy league goals this calendar year - 13. Need a goal, who do you bring on...

It did. Twice, and arguably even worse lol

22 minutes ago, Livid said:

We have two natural goalscorers in the squad in Vardy and Kane. I get Vardy and Kane don't seem to work so Vardy in on the bench but to bring on Rashford and Loftus-Cheek ahead of him is shocking. As for them changing the game, they just injected pace and never actually threatened to get the goal we needed.

Maguire looked better going forward than he did defensively but him and Walker aren't playing in their desired positions. Not even going to start on the amount of money in the game in this country and how we've arrived at the worlds biggest tournament and are playing defenders out of position. :nono:

Good to win, don't mind Kane when he plays for England, nowhere near convinced we're capable or reaching beyond the last 8 and not buying into the England "love in" the media seem to have going on at the moment.

I've noticed a few people on social media say something similar. The media can't win really. Historically they have piled 'pressure' onto the national team and have been criticised for it. Yet this year, for the first time in a long time, the media appear to be heaping praise on the team and the manager.

Honestly, do I think we can win the World Cup? No. This year however, we seem to have an identity. We have the 3511 or 352, however you want to see it. We have players comfortable on the ball and we will play the ball out from the back. For 20-30 minutes yesterday we played some of the best football all World Cup. As usual though we find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot but unlike previous years we managed to find a way to win. Look at some of the teams this World Cup that have either lost or dropped point so far. We have started on the front foot and I for one am very positive.

I don't think tactically Southgate is good enough but what he does offer is passion, togetherness and experience playing for England. Throughout the years we have had foreign managers and world class players yet it never quite gelled. We may actually have the right balance this time.

Vardy is Kanes replacement. I don't expect to see him much, if at all. Possibly against Panama if we are 3 up. He would be suited against Belgium and any team that will come at us but unfortunately I don't see Southgate having the balls to play him.

As for Walker at CB, I can see why he's playing there. As we saw with Maguire second half, Walkers job is to bring the ball out into midfield. His positioning is not good enough, which led to us conceding.

• Like 1

Nah. First is a free kick to Tunisia: Stones fouls number 17 before anything happens, second is debatable but not clear-cut.

If you think that stray elbow was a penalty, then dragging someone to the floor has to be absolutely stonewall, how could that be debatable? 

• Like 1

Just now, Finnaldo said:

If you think that stray elbow was a penalty, then dragging someone to the floor has to be absolutely stonewall, how could that be debatable? 

Throwing an elbow is violent conduct, two players tangling - he didn't drag the horse to the floor in that one - isn't nailed on. Huth would have given away two penalties a half if it were.

Throwing an elbow is violent conduct, two players tangling - he didn't drag the horse to the floor in that one - isn't nailed on. Huth would have given away two penalties a half if it were.

Walkers eyes were on the ball the entire time, his arms were out wide and the guy ran into his elbow. No intention.

The Tunisians who pulled Kane down had no eyes on the ball. Two arms around Kane and pulled him down, full intent on bringing him down, no plans on winning the ball.

7 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Walkers eyes were on the ball the entire time, his arms were out wide and the guy ran into his elbow. No intention.

The Tunisians who pulled Kane down had no eyes on the ball. Two arms around Kane and pulled him down, full intent on bringing him down, no plans on winning the ball.

Staggering bias there! 

• Haha 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Staggering bias there! 

I can see why it was given, but I don't think there was intention.  I'm not even sure he was aware of the player and he was indicating he was gonna let it run.

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Come off it. Walker knows full well what he's doing. Doesn't need to look at the player, knows he's there and sticks out his elbow.

Except they were both watching the cross come in, looking in the same direction and grappling trying to get ahead of each other. Unless you're talking about the first one in which case it was a free kick to Tunisia for a foul by stones.

Guest Col city fan

I am concerned about the defence but my main concern is about us offensively. Without Kane’s goals I can’t see where we are going to get em from.

With Belgium, you know if big Rom don’t score, Hazard, Mertens etc can pop up with a goal. Same with France. If it isn’t Griezman, it’ll be Pogba et al.

We do have Lingard,Alli and Sterling but none of them had their shooting boots on.

I just wonder if we won’t score enough against tougher opposition.

38 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

As long as they can prove it was with intent.  Otherwise right decision. I honestly don't think he knew how close he was.