Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Tunisia v England match thread

38 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Can see his argument tbf. Not soft at all, walker has just swung an elbow, argument that that's violent conduct

He's not really swung his arm has he? That's an adverb that has stronger connotations.

At worst he's put his arm across and the striker has ran into it.

He's tried to put his arm out to stop the defender but he's done it too high. If that's chest/abdomen height then it's good defending.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Come off it. Walker knows full well what he's doing. Doesn't need to look at the player, knows he's there and sticks out his elbow.

Except they were both watching the cross come in, looking in the same direction and grappling trying to get ahead of each other. Unless you're talking about the first one in which case it was a free kick to Tunisia for a foul by stones.

Where's this foul from Stones coming from Doc?  I've watched it a couple times and there's nothing there from what I can see

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44434276

The freekick in question is at 1:38

Edited by Finnaldo

I can see Walker being either moved to RWB or being dropped for Cahill or Jones as the tournament progresses. Trippier looks superb right now and it would be a shame if Walker was moved back there, especially as Arnold-Alexander might deserve a chance there as well given his form but Walker as a centre back will see us come unstuck again and again. I love Maguire but having him and Walker out of position is very dangerous, especially as the man mopping up is John Stones who loves a horrific gaff every once in a while. The formation is definitely the way to go right now but I think we could fine tune it with different personnel.

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I can see why it was given, but I don't think there was intention.  I'm not even sure he was aware of the player and he was indicating he was gonna let it run.

Even more worrying if that’s the case. 

Just now, Bert said:

As long as they can prove it was with intent.  Otherwise right decision. I honestly don't think he knew how close he was. 

He must have known that the striker was right behind him. Either I've got the shittest superpower ever or you can easily tell when someone is two yards behind you and running towards you. Walkers just been a flat out idiot there. Facing the wrong way, cross is well overhit, doesn't need to put his arms out, striker isn't getting anywhere near it. Silly defending that almost cost you 

• Like 2

So according to The Metro, Maguire had a worse game than: Stones, Lingard, Alli and Young!

Equal to Sterling and Walker...

Hmmm :dunno:

Edited by Phube

2 minutes ago, Phube said:

So according to The Metro, Maguire has a worse game than: Stones, Lingard, Alli and Young!

Yet I've read some rating Maguire an 8 out of 10.

The Metro's a shite newspaper written in crayon by monkeys.

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Where's this foul from Stones coming from Doc?  I've watched it a couple times and there's nothing there from what I can see

The corner in question is at 1:38

Not the greatest quality as I've screencapped it but circled - you can see both hands in the back

IMG_20180619_094814.thumb.jpg.0eeb4e7aaefce50898a34727640efcc3.jpg

Clear when the video is in HD.

2 minutes ago, Phube said:

So according to The Metro, Maguire has a worse game than: Stones, Lingard, Alli and Young!

Yet Sky sports give him an 8

I’d personally say he warrants a 7, 8 at a push. Gave the ball away a couple of times that didn’t lead to a goal. Other than those couple of instances his stats were impressive and he became our best outlet in the second half. He created at least 3 massive goal scoring opportunities for others that were only let down by poor finishes. If they convert them does he get marked so harshly? Not to mention the clever flick on at the end for Kane

I thought Walker was fine apart from the penalty. His physical attributes meant we could camp in their half with no bother. Anytime they looked like breaking Walker just caught up and took the ball.

Maguire was able to play as a left winger because we had him in the side. With someone like Cahill or Jones it would have meant Maguire couldn't have been as adventurous.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Not the greatest quality as I've screencapped it but circled - you can see both hands in the back

IMG_20180619_094814.thumb.jpg.0eeb4e7aaefce50898a34727640efcc3.jpg

Clear when the video is in HD.

I see nothing in it myself, the defender doesn't even flinch yet alone complain. Still a stonewall penalty to me.

9 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

The freekick in question is at 1:38

Called it straight after it happened in the match thread. Plenty of pictures and videos showing Stones' clear two-handed shove. You can even clearly see it on most stills of Kane being wrestled.

Didn't catch the other penalty shout.

England were probably a little unfortunate with the calls, but it's not as bad as has been made out in here. Thought Walker's arm was a penalty and Stones' shove effectively cancels the foul on Kane (again, two wrongs don't make a right, but it would have been as controversial if a peno was given, since Stones' foul happened before).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I see nothing in it myself, the defender doesn't even flinch yet alone complain. Still a stonewall penalty to me.

He was shoved about 5 yards away lol

• Haha 1

We got the win which is great and kane scoring which is good because he is our main striker. we should have buried Tunisia in the first half we had so many chances with Sterling and Lingard missing great chances. once again an individual error cost us with walker and i hate to say it but Harry Maguire did not have the best of games, yes he was threatening at set peices for England and helped set up one of the goals but some of his defending was poor and he will hopefully be a lot better in the next couple of games.

I was a little bit baffled by the plaudits Rashford was receiving by the BBC team after the game

They were singing his praises, then proceeded to show a bunch of clips of him tripping over his own feet and losing the ball, as an example of how great he was

Honestly cannot for the life of me figure out why everybody seems to think he's a better option than Vardy. It's not even a case of club bias, Vardy just does everything better

Edited by MrSpaM
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

We got the win which is great and kane scoring which is good because he is our main striker. we should have buried Tunisia in the first half we had so many chances with Sterling and Lingard missing great chances. once again an individual error cost us with walker and i hate to say it but Harry Maguire did not have the best of games, yes he was threatening at set peices for England and helped set up one of the goals but some of his defending was poor and he will hopefully be a lot better in the next couple of games.

It was a mixed bag for Maguire certainly, but England got the win and had many promising moments.

It's a question of the others around Kane to step up their game if they want to progress well into the tournament.

6 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

Best performance by England at tournament level for some time. 

That’s not saying much tbf. Created enough chances to win 3 games, just need to sharpen up in front of goal and stay alert defensively 

Edited by foxfanazer

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

He must have known that the striker was right behind him. Either I've got the shittest superpower ever or you can easily tell when someone is two yards behind you and running towards you. Walkers just been a flat out idiot there. Facing the wrong way, cross is well overhit, doesn't need to put his arms out, striker isn't getting anywhere near it. Silly defending that almost cost you 

Everyone knows he was stupid but there was no intent, it's a foul and it's a booking. I see no comment from you on how their player went down like he's just been snipered but instantly gets up celebrating when the penalty is awarded. He full well knew what he was doing. Plenty of times I've seen defenders put their arms out to let the ball go past them. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I am concerned about the defence but my main concern is about us offensively. Without Kane’s goals I can’t see where we are going to get em from.

With Belgium, you know if big Rom don’t score, Hazard, Mertens etc can pop up with a goal. Same with France. If it isn’t Griezman, it’ll be Pogba et al.

We do have Lingard,Alli and Sterling but none of them had their shooting boots on.

I just wonder if we won’t score enough against tougher opposition.

This is why I think Vardy may get his chance at some point. Against the better sides we'll need to offer more of a goalscoring threat than Kane. If Alli, Sterling and Lingard don't start scoring, Vardy, Rashford and Loftus-Cheek will be making more of an appearance.

First time in a long time that the positives outweigh the negatives in a tournament for England - Still a lot of negativity by some fans even if we had drawn it wouldn't of been a bad result 4 points would get you through in this group.

The set up and the team was decent, a few tweaks (I would start the team that finished last night on Sunday) and better finishing then who knows how far we can go.

Regarding Vardy he will get his chance I can see him starting against Belgium if we win on Sunday and hopefully he will give Southgate a bit of a headache for the last 16.

People saying we would get battered playing like that against the bigger teams I don't really get that comment. England want to play counter attacking football and struggle to break down teams down (a bit like Leicester) so with the so call big boys having the ball it will play into our hands if you ask me.

3 hours ago, Bert said:

His stats were actually very good. 

IMG_4675.PNG

Like I say 5 is harsh. But then mcnulty has used a harsh scoring system I think Trippier only got 7 and he was an utter nusence to Tunisia all evening. He did a lot of things right Maguire.

But you  can’t  carry on getting caught in possession like he did a couple of times and passing to your opponents feet in 20 yards of space in your own half at this level and not end up on the back page for all the wrong reasons. Still it was his first major tournament game hopefully he builds on the positives.

Vardys strength is running behind defenders,clearly Tunisia weren't going to give any space behind.Rashford ran at defenders that's the difference. I wish people would stop thinking that there's some sort of conspiracy against Leicester players. If vardy didn't play for us nobody would be demanding he starts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Vardys strength is running behind defenders,clearly Tunisia weren't going to give any space behind.Rashford ran at defenders that's the difference. I wish people would stop thinking that there's some sort of conspiracy against Leicester players. If vardy didn't play for us nobody would be demanding he starts.

We had plenty of people running at the Tunisian defenders but we had absolutely nobody wanting to get into a decent position inside the box.

Lingard should have been hooked for Vardy and we should have had Rashford and Loftus Cheek in behind the strikers.