Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Robin JD Popley

Danny Drinkwater

4 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I'm not arguing that both he and the club have moved on but just because he's left you can't just dismiss all the good he did in his time here. Immense in the championship and showed his quality throughout the PL years and title winning season.

I was annoyed he left as well but to then claim he was average at best is laughable.

He was very good in the Championship season alongside James. But that was in the Championship. He was also very effective in the Premier League-winning season, but he benefited enormously having Kante alongside him, who did the work of two men. Personally I'm not remotely convinced he'll be anywhere near as effective again now that he's older, more injury-prone and will not have Kante alongside him to take on a significant proportion of his workload (Ndidi is excellent, but not the same as Kante). It may occasionally work out very well when players go back to previous clubs, but I can't think of many examples. More likely it will be completely underwhelming and taint our memory of how he was before. I think we should steer well clear.

• Like 4

Some people have very short memories - he was outstanding in the season we won the league and yes, N'golo was a massive part of his effectiveness but we all know NK is world class.

I personally think it would be gutting to watch DD playing for Palace or the Hammers when we need a CM and alongside Ndidi he would be superb. He would have a point to prove on many fronts and a loan deal is a no brainer!

5 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Some people have very short memories - he was outstanding in the season we won the league and yes, N'golo was a massive part of his effectiveness but we all know NK is world class.

I personally think it would be gutting to watch DD playing for Palace or the Hammers when we need a CM and alongside Ndidi he would be superb. He would have a point to prove on many fronts and a loan deal is a no brainer!

So will it happen Old Fox?

2 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

If fit and on form he’d walk into our team. Would others really but Iborra or Silva in ahead of him?  I think all three are decent players but drinky can be brilliant

Biggest 'if' ever.

Do we want a distinctly average (most of the time), Permanently injured, high wage demanding CM? No. We don't.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It’s been said before, but it’s worth repeating: if Drinkwater had never played for us, and was just another ageing, injury-prone Chelsea reject who had previously enjoyed a couple of good seasons at – let’s say - Southampton, how many Leicester fans would want him? Not many. Most would regard it as an unambitious and uninspiring move. So why do so many people apparently think otherwise? Sentiment. And sentiment should play no part whatsoever in choosing our squad players for this season.

We've made our bed with Silva now and there is Mendy who appears back in favour, Choudhury's development and Iborra and James. After the last two years of Drinkwater with poor form and 11 different times out injured I'm not sure why we'd want to bring him in when we have the options we do now and Drinkwater just muddies the waters. 

If we could bring in an obvious upgrade on Silva then yes but Drinkwater isn't. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Average at best? Don’t make me laugh. He was absolutely class for us, bar his last season with us. He made the move to a bigger club and due to injuries etc. he’s never really had a chance st Chelsea. 

He he got into the England squad with us and was MOTM in his first game. Intelligent and classy midfielder and i’d Have him back here in a heartbeat. Some short memories from a few bitter fans. 

He was good for us in our title season. He was never even as good as James before his injury and only really got his chance after that. Kante beside him made him look better than he was.

Yes he got into the England squad but I'd say that had more to do with politics than anything. Yet, that didn't last either no more than his stint at Chelsea. He was found out long before his injury there.

Anyone who thinks he could replace Choudhury in the team is deluded and he's not even the finished article yet.

But believe what you will.

• Like 1

James we can't trust with injuries, Mendy we can't trust with injuries, King just isn't good enough, Hamza whilst full of effort and running there has to be questions about his other abilites. With that in mind, for me personally I only see N'did, Silva and Iborra as serious options and the latter two have frankly flattered to deceive.

Whether it's DD or someone else, in a perfect world I'd like another option in there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

He was good for us in our title season. He was never even as good as James before his injury and only really got his chance after that. Kante beside him made him look better than he was.

Yes he got into the England squad but I'd say that had more to do with politics than anything. Yet, that didn't last either no more than his stint at Chelsea. He was found out long before his injury there.

Anyone who thinks he could replace Choudhury in the team is deluded and he's not even the finished article yet.

But believe what you will.

I'll defend James all week long, but I think it's stretching it to say James was better. DD won player of the season in the championship lets not forget, over James. All of our CM's and most of the team struggled to adapt that first season.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

James we can't trust with injuries, Mendy we can't trust with injuries, King just isn't good enough, Hamza whilst full of effort and running there has to be questions about his other abilites. With that in mind, for me personally I only see N'did, Silva and Iborra as serious options and the latter two have frankly flattered to deceive.

Whether it's DD or someone else, in a perfect world I'd like another option in there.

I agree with another option, but they should be a forward thinking CM like Maddison as we don't have another CM like him (Silva at a pinch, and maybe Okazaki providing the link up play...). I don't see DD doing that.

We are well covered for the 2 in front of the defence.

Ideally, I think we also need another wide forward/winger - unless Ghezzal exceeds expectations.. 

12 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Surely he will be leaving with them now signing Kovacic as well? Loftus-Cheek needs to get out of there as well.

They apparently want a 10M 'loan' fee!!     WTF

IBTL

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

It’s been said before, but it’s worth repeating: if Drinkwater had never played for us, and was just another ageing, injury-prone Chelsea reject who had previously enjoyed a couple of good seasons at – let’s say - Southampton, how many Leicester fans would want him? Not many. Most would regard it as an unambitious and uninspiring move. So why do so many people apparently think otherwise? Sentiment. And sentiment should play no part whatsoever in choosing our squad players for this season.

That’s quite a poor argument really as the reason people would be happy to see him back is because we have seen him week in week out where as if he played for Southampton we wouldn’t have.

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Abdulkadir Omür to join his compatriot Soyuncru would be immense.

• Like 1

I think it might be the opposite but it’s a hard one to call. 

Aging lol He's 28 for goodness sake.

Did most regard signing Iborra as unambitious, despite the fact he rarely played for Seville and was even more "aging"? No. The only question mark are the injuries he's had, of which the club will have very good knowledge of. They'll most probably know if there was something underlying or whether he's just had an unlucky time of it. They'll know more than people labeling him injury prone, despite not having a history of injuries previously.

He's not some Southampton player we have little knowledge of, he's someone who has won player of the season and two leagues with us. We know first hand what a good player he actually was and we're not basing if off a handful of games on Sky.

IF the deal is right, and it's a big IF... then most teams in this league would see him as potentially a very good signing.

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'll defend James all week long, but I think it's stretching it to say James was better. DD won player of the season in the championship lets not forget, over James. All of our CM's and most of the team struggled to adapt that first season.

James was always a more talented player until injury basically ruin his top flight career. Yes, DD did have a couple of good seasons but so did King and look what's happened to him also.

The team struggled first season but I believe that was more to do with tactics than the players. but that's all history now it's forward we;re looking and I think we could do a lot better than bring someone back who is now injury prone, slow etc.

I'm not inspired by Iborra or Silva either which is why I think Choudhury can seize his chance.