Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Robin JD Popley

Danny Drinkwater

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Drinkwater had informed the club he wanted to leave very early last summer and his behaviour that summer was not far off Riyad's from what I gather. Somebody within the club, whether it was Shakespeare alluded to it as well once he'd gone. 

That claim has been backed again by the Football Forum panel yesterday. Apparently, he didn't leave the club with the best of wishes - wasn't it Pearson who once said that Drinkwater needed some kind of "special attention"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That claim has been backed again by the Football Forum panel yesterday. Apparently, he didn't leave the club with the best of wishes - wasn't it Pearson who once said that Drinkwater needed some kind of "special attention"?

Yeah he said he was a very complex character or something. If we are to bring in any other central midfielders I'd like them to be more dynamic, Max Meyer or Abdulkadir Omür type players.

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Wasnt there a time when CM's were the most important and hard to get players... we seem to have  shitloads

The difference is that they used to be expected to do everything. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, themightyfin said:

To be fair the only time I ever see Kung getting slated is when reading Foxestalk 

Really?????

Gets slated on Bentleys

Gets slated by those who sit near me.

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Each to their own mate & I understand where you’re coming from. I’m probably slightly biased towards Drinky for a number of reasons but for Looking at the transfer fees flying about and the fact we’ve just spent £20 odd million on a teenager that has no experience

Have I missed something?

Personally I think he had to take his chance and testing himself against the best but he was injured for nearly 6months when leaving for Chelsea so I feel for him a bit there. I’d love him back and if he gets back to his best he’s better than what we have. Silva I still don’t know about him but Iborra is a different player. Drinkwater and Ndidi in the middle would improve us imo.

6 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Personally I think he had to take his chance and testing himself against the best but he was injured for nearly 6months when leaving for Chelsea so I feel for him a bit there. I’d love him back and if he gets back to his best he’s better than what we have. Silva I still don’t know about him but Iborra is a different player. Drinkwater and Ndidi in the middle would improve us imo.

It's a major 'if' though, isn't it? He's been injury-prone for a long time and is approaching the end of his career at the top level. We'd risk wasting a sizable chunk of the wage budget on somebody who spends their whole time in the treatment room. Too much of a risk.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

I rate Danny and loved him while he was here but there are two key reasons for not wanting him back. 

1. Are most of my feelings about him based on both the 13/14 Championship season and the 15/16 title winning season. The first obviously at a lower level and the second he played next to Ngolo Kante. Would our current midfielders look good in the championship/next to Kante? 

2. He’s had a lot of niggling injuries in the past couple of years and whilst I’m sure his mate Matty James would love the company it’s really not what we need. 

Even if we got him on loan it’s taking minutes away from someone like Choudhury and we’d be stuck with trying to shift at least one midfielder along with all the loads of surplus players elsewhere and we’ve struggled to do that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's a major 'if' though, isn't it? He's been crocked for a long time and is approaching the end of his career at the top level. We'd risk wasting a sizable chunk of the wage budget on somebody who spends their whole time in the treatment room. Too much of a risk.

I understand what your saying but he’s just turned 28 so he’s got a good few years left yet. I think he’d be fine. Still pissed off we’ve not got a couple more through the door really. 

9 hours ago, Albert said:

Mind-boggling that you’re judging him on playing 45mins of a preseason friendly with zero confidence for a club that clearly doesn’t want him.

Hes hardly kicked a ball in the last yr so rather than looking for “real world evidence” over that time I’ll judge him on the evidence he showed us when he was a major factor in our recent success and the fact we are crying out for a player of his quality that can perform consistently next to Wilf!

Selling a player for £35m and then re-signing him 12months later for half the amount is the total opposite of undoing ‘the best sale transaction the club will ever make’....

Depends the player that would return,,,

how much being at Chelsea has effected his confidence

wages

injurys

28 now, resale value?

12 hours ago, Albert said:

Choudary > A million miles away from being a Prem player. Needs to go out on loan and learn the game.

Silva > No doubting his quality but has yet to settle and there’s question marks whether he can handle the pace of the Prem.

Iborra > Quality player but is on his last legs & is more of a squad player 

Mendy > Seriously?!?!

James > Can’t stay fit

I was as bitter and angry as anyone when Drinky forced his move to Chelsea but if u take the emotion out of it we would of all done the same! He was given the opportunity to set himself up for life financially and go play with a top top team with some of the Worlds best players. Ur a liar if you’re saying you wouldn’t of done the same! It obviously hasn’t worked out for him but regardless of everything it doesn’t change the fact he was an integral part to our success & is one of the best midfielders that has worn the shirt.

Signing such a proven quality player that wouldn’t need anytime settling in for a cut price fee would be a fantastic move for us which I really hope happens

Personally I wasn't angry when Drinkwater decided he wanted to go, I was far more angry at Kante leaving when he did because at that point we were on the crest of a wave and anything was still possible if we kept our best players together and bought really well that summer.

By the time Drinkwater left we had run our race and I don't blame any of our players who have options of going to elite clubs for wanting to go. Every player wants to win trophies and play Champions League football and if they have the option that's much better than staying here hoping for 7th place and an outside chance of winning a cup. Drinkwater also seen the chance to link up with Kante again when they were the best CM pairing in the league. I'm not one of these people who give Kante all the credit for that as Drinkwater was just as important and brilliant in his own right.

However by the time Chelsea bid £35m it was a sell all day long. There were rumours he had a hip flexor problem that wouldn't heal properly and in the last two years he's had 11 different injuries on other leg parts which looks like he's overprotecting his hip flexor by overcompensating with other leg parts.

He hasn't been a top class player for two years now and in that time we've spent £70m on other CM's that are still at the club. Ndidi is widely regarded as a shoo in but we need to give Silva a chance to come in and we still have six other options in that position with Mendy, James, Iborra, Choudhury, Iborra and Amartey. It's reckless to bring Drinkwater back in a position we're stocked in and one were he might not make the first XI. We've spent good money on an already over bloated squad, they should be left to sort that position out themselves.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

There are only two midfielders out there who I would welcome back with open arms in the next couple of years, and we know who they are.

Stephen Hughes & Gareth Williams?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Personally I wasn't angry when Drinkwater decided he wanted to go, I was far more angry at Kante leaving when he did because at that point we were on the crest of a wave and anything was still possible if we kept our best players together and bought really well that summer.

By the time Drinkwater left we had run our race and I don't blame any of our players who have options of going to elite clubs for wanting to go. Every player wants to win trophies and play Champions League football and if they have the option that's much better than staying here hoping for 7th place and an outside chance of winning a cup. Drinkwater also seen the chance to link up with Kante again when they were the best CM pairing in the league. I'm not one of these people who give Kante all the credit for that as Drinkwater was just as important and brilliant in his own right.

However by the time Chelsea bid £35m it was a sell all day long. There were rumours he had a hip flexor problem that wouldn't heal properly and in the last two years he's had 11 different injuries on other leg parts which looks like he's overprotecting his hip flexor by overcompensating with other leg parts.

He hasn't been a top class player for two years now and in that time we've spent £70m on other CM's that are still at the club. Ndidi is widely regarded as a shoo in but we need to give Silva a chance to come in and we still have six other options in that position with Mendy, James, Iborra, Choudhury, Iborra and Amartey. It's reckless to bring Drinkwater back in a position we're stocked in and one were he might not make the first XI. We've spent good money on an already over bloated squad, they should be left to sort that position out themselves.

sweet.. when did we sign the other Iborra?

My recollection of Drinkeater is that he was great for two long spells and was relatively out of it for two equally long spells.  I know it’s been suggested he played with injuries. Is that the explanation or is he a player whose confidence comes and goes? At his best, it seemed to me he really drove the team

on, true box to box.