Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Robin JD Popley

Danny Drinkwater

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

How did he get on with the dressing room before he left? Would his return lift some of the other players?

More importantly, how did he perform on the pitch before he left? Pretty poorly. It's not like we've suddenly got the chance to sign Riyad or N'Golo again as brilliant as Drinky was when we won the league. Not in the same class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Mendy, King, James and Choudhury (loan) would all have to leave.

he would also have to be on a lot less than he was before when he was here. 

£45-50k p/w rather than the 80-90k that he was on before at lcfc. 

I really don’t think he is going to take a £100k a week pay cut!

2 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

More importantly, how did he perform on the pitch before he left? Pretty poorly. It's not like we've suddenly got the chance to sign Riyad or N'Golo again as brilliant as Drinky was when we won the league. Not in the same class.

I'm just trying to work out the motivation behind the deal, assuming it's true. If it lifts morale it might be worth it.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm just trying to work out the motivation behind the deal, assuming it's true. If it lifts morale it might be worth it.

Maybe but then you have King and James for that, no? Guys more content with a squad role and I'd argue, certainly in King's case, capable of playing different types of midfield roles even if not as good as Drinky on top form in his particular role. Like you say, that'd be the main reason for bringing him back.

I think my last memory of him was constantly spraying passes out of touch... 

I said before he’d work well again with N’Didi but not bothered i think Silva is just as mobile around the pitch and genrally a better footballer 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lichfieldfox. said:

Too inconsistent for my liking. Matty James was a better all round player before his ACL rupture. I'd prefer to let Chaudhury develop and learn from Wilf, Silva and Iborra.

I agree with this. If he were to come back he’d restrict development of players that have shown promise and ability in a similar style to his. I don’t think need him. 

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

With respect, you're comparing apples with oranges here, talent-wise.

I’m not comparing talent, my point is everyone’s saying they wouldn’t have him back because he choose to join Chelsea. Yet Mahrez did the same thing. The majority said Mahrez deserves a crack to play at a bigger club, where is that any different to DD? 

Im not saying I think 100% we should sign him my point is people are judging resigning him from the wrong point of perspective.

59 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I’m not comparing talent, my point is everyone’s saying they wouldn’t have him back because he choose to join Chelsea. Yet Mahrez did the same thing. The majority said Mahrez deserves a crack to play at a bigger club, where is that any different to DD? 

Im not saying I think 100% we should sign him my point is people are judging resigning him from the wrong point of perspective.

Yes I get that. But I'd have Mahrez back, if his heart was in it, because he'd be far better than what we have now. I'm not sure I can say the same of DD. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

No one that jumps ship walks straight back into this team! Should rot in the reserves if he signed on loan. Sets a bad example if your whisking players back in if they’ve done poor elsewhere. Also silva and Iborra don’t deserve to be binned for him! Iborra has great leadership and Silva is picking up with the speed of the game to match his technique 

lol Sign him on loan and let him rot in the reserves? We're fortunate that you're not involved in our player recruitment strategy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Simply because Mahrez is close to being a world class player whereas DD has possibly reached his peak already.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Simply because Mahrez is close to being a world class player whereas DD has possibly reached his peak already.

Regardless of quality, your missing the point. Why does it make DD such a bad person for wanting to test himself at the top, but it’s okay for Riyad? 

20 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Regardless of quality, your missing the point. Why does it make DD such a bad person for wanting to test himself at the top, but it’s okay for Riyad? 

But that's the whole point. Mahrez possess the quality to play at the top. DD was average at best and totally deluded if he seriously thought he could play consistently for a top team.

44 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

But that's the whole point. Mahrez possess the quality to play at the top. DD was average at best and totally deluded if he seriously thought he could play consistently for a top team.

Yes, yes. Let's have him back. He sounds perfect lol

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Average at best? Don’t make me laugh. He was absolutely class for us, bar his last season with us. He made the move to a bigger club and due to injuries etc. he’s never really had a chance st Chelsea. 

He he got into the England squad with us and was MOTM in his first game. Intelligent and classy midfielder and i’d Have him back here in a heartbeat. Some short memories from a few bitter fans. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Average at best? Don’t make me laugh. He was absolutely class for us, bar his last season with us. He made the move to a bigger club and due to injuries etc. he’s never really had a chance st Chelsea. 

He he got into the England squad with us and was MOTM in his first game. Intelligent and classy midfielder and i’d Have him back here in a heartbeat. Some short memories from a few bitter fans. 

It’s that you drinky 

I think you would be better off saying he was class the year we won the league as opposed to one bad season 

he moved on,

Unfortunately for him so have the club

He hasn't been anywhere close to as good as when he played with Kante and in the great escape seasono he was being kept out by Matty James. What does that tell you?

I'd much rather give Iborra and Silva another shot now that they've had a full season behind them (well kinda with Silva). Would rather see Choudhury and even Mendy before paying Drinky's exorbitant wages to inevitably end up on the bench.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

How did he get on with the dressing room before he left? Would his return lift some of the other players?

Not really bothered if he can crack a few jokes or if he  can find a new nickname for someone...if his body is succumbing to injuries and he’s conpletely out of form then we just need to stop there...

We’re loaded in this area. I can’t see the point in bringing anyone else in, unless we offload someone. 

He was playing with an injury prior to leaving, he’s never shaken that off. He’s been injured ever since it feels like. Drinky is a bit like Henderson, I think people undervalue him. He’s better than people perceive.

James has been injured for what, 2 years? Danny outgrew him as a footballer in that time. 

The question is, could we get him fit again? As we sure struggle in the aftermath of the Premier League title win. 

7 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

It’s that you drinky 

I think you would be better off saying he was class the year we won the league as opposed to one bad season 

he moved on,

Unfortunately for him so have the club

I'm not arguing that both he and the club have moved on but just because he's left you can't just dismiss all the good he did in his time here. Immense in the championship and showed his quality throughout the PL years and title winning season.

I was annoyed he left as well but to then claim he was average at best is laughable.