Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Robin JD Popley

Danny Drinkwater

I think it could work if we got him back... I'd like to see us use a different formation though (3-5-2 for example )

In the 4-3-3 Puel has stuck with, there always seems to be a big gap between back four and midfield, leaving two centre backs exposed (especially when one of them is an ageing Morgan...sorry Wes fans, but his race has been run) On defenders, Benny needs to go, and Fuchs looks so vulnerable in behind as well... 

With 3-5-2 formation as well, I think it allows Maddison or Iheanacho play with Vards just off him, plus allowing Chilwell & Perreira to roam whilst there is sufficient cover behind them (3 CB's and the big bad Wilf) I know Chilwell isn't the best defensively at the moment, but at least there would be more cover with 3 CB's.

Drinky and Wilf 'could' work as neither drive into opposition penalty areas that often, that would be up to the 3rd centre mid (Silva or Maddison I would assume).

I like Iborra, but my worry is his mobility around the pitch, not that you need it as much if you can read the game... But Drinky worked so well with Kante, so why couldn't he with N'Didi? I think those two as midfield generals could boss it, snapping at people, closing down etc. and add a little bit of steel... 

The concern with this formation and manager at the moment is there seems to be a softness, we look like we could concede every time the opposition attack... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

First reaction had been a meh, but now I think he could do a job. If he doesn't mind being on the bench.

That's why he wants to leave Chelsea.

No from me.  Just not needed and if we did need another CM I think we should be aiming higher.

Just now, murphy said:

That's why he wants to leave Chelsea.

No from me.  Just not needed and if we did need another CM I think we should be aiming higher.

Chelsea was a bridge too far for him and it was a bad choice other than the financial value. There was just no way he'd been a starter with the competition at that post and I still don't understand why Chelsea bought him. 

I don't know, CMs are rather difficult to find and they're not cheap. If they want to come that is. Iborra has been inconsistent last season and Silva is a bit of an unknown.

That said, with this bloated squad and if we can't trim a bit, I can't see us bringing in anyone.

2 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

I thought he burnt bridges with the club in the way he went about leaving?

Nigel Pearson defended his son for participating in a racist orgy, got sacked for it and was then re employed by our owners. This is football, not a normal employer.

• Haha 2

If this was to happen it would be a late deal pushed through if we can offload a few others. I honestly cant see us signing anymore players until we clear some deadwood. We have alot of players on big wages that will be nowhere near the first 11 this season!

40 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

If this was to happen it would be a late deal pushed through if we can offload a few others. I honestly cant see us signing anymore players until we clear some deadwood. We have alot of players on big wages that will be nowhere near the first 11 this season!

Yeh right

Would have thought CM not a priority at the moment unless 2 or 3 players move on.

His wages might also be a stumbling block.Hope to see Silva and maybe  Hamza progress this season - they looked OK at the end of last season when we were ridiculously short of options

1 hour ago, Edingleyfox said:

Would have thought CM not a priority at the moment unless 2 or 3 players move on.

His wages might also be a stumbling block.Hope to see Silva and maybe  Hamza progress this season - they looked OK at the end of last season when we were ridiculously short of options

I can’t understand people thinking Drinkwater isn’t an improvement and wanting to rest our hopes on 2 relatively unknown/unproven players. If Silva doesn’t show the quality which we had hoped and Hamza stays at an ‘OK’ level then we’re really going to have a long season ahead. We know what Drinkwater can do, we have also seen him at his worst, which in all honesty wasn’t any worse than we’ve seen consistently from Iborra, Silva and Hamza.

Drinkwater struggled in a poor side and flourished in a very good side. Even when he was poor he still showed desire and you could clearly see his frustration that things weren’t going well.

To make a decent amount of profit and have Drinkwater (if he’s fit and injury free) wouldn’t be bad business at all.

I’ve said this before but if we hadn’t previously had Drinky and he won the league with Southampton/Everton etc, we would be seeing this as a great signing. To make £15/20m profit on him and resign him would be brilliant. 

He left by forcing a move to Chelsea, Premier League champions the season before. Let’s not let sentiment and resentment get in the way of us progressing as a club. He had a brilliant time with us for a lot of his time here. 

Sorry @Edingleyfox that wasn’t all aimed at you.  

• Like 2

On 29/07/2018 at 03:09, Gerard said:

The Drinkwater of Aug 2015 to Nov 2016 was brilliant.

From Dec 2016 he's been bang average.

This, except I think describing him as average since Dec ‘16 is being very generous.

Ultimately if we sign him I wouldn’t pay a penny over 15m for him but I doubt Chelsea will be embarrassed enough to do that after buying him from us for 35m. 

2 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

This, except I think describing him as average since Dec ‘16 is being very generous.

Ultimately if we sign him I wouldn’t pay a penny over 15m for him but I doubt Chelsea will be embarrassed enough to do that after buying him from us for 35m. 

The way things are going there it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Abramovich squeeze every penny back into the club if he’s planning to sell up or take funds from it.