Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
abdul_fox

Simpson- Not in Puels Plans

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think that’s part of the problem - Puel doesn’t seem to WANT a coventional full back!

Against Cardiff and Burnley we should be fine with Ricardo, give him a chance to adapt. Attack is the best form of defence and he is a threat. If Amartey is out for a while then those Simpson hoofs down field may well return next month. :mellow:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think that’s part of the problem - Puel doesn’t seem to WANT a coventional full back!

One of my criticisms of Puel is that I don't find him flexible enough.

I'm not convinced about Morgan-Maguire as a back two and even less so when Ricardo is at RB.

Puel will show his flexibility if he starts Simpson next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Because he's a good full back.

I like at least one of the back four to be a proper defender......

I agree with you regards Morgan / Maguire but I think its mainly because Maguire takes so many risks for a center back in a two. Two attacking full backs is fine against teams below us so long as they don't both bomb up the pitch at the same time.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

None of the others is a 'proper defender'? Come come Mr. Bond...

Morgan was a proper defender but he's not the force he was.

Maguire is like a rolls royce defender but not in the 'defend at all costs' Walsh/Elliott/Taggart mould.

Chilwell and Ricardo are attacking FBs.

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Morgan was a proper defender but he's not the force he was.

Maguire is like a rolls royce defender but not in the 'defend at all costs' Walsh/Elliott/Taggart mould.

Chilwell and Ricardo are attacking FBs.

I think you need to be more (what was the word?)  flexible  in your concept of what a defender is... :P

Ricardo had one of his classic LCFC games today, threatening on the attack but looked susceptible in defence. Puel took off Gray to put on Simpson so that Ricardo could be a winger and Simpson could concentrate on defence, and Simmo didn't put a foot wrong defensively today and in fact contributed with some great clearances. This toughened up the defence during the period just after we scored when they started to build up a head of steam.

Simpson is only playing because Amartey is injured but I expect he will have some part to play over the next few months. Puel tried Albrighton at right-back towards the end of last season and he was even worse than Ricardo defensively. Ricardo to be fair didn't get brushed off the ball as much today, but he sometimes tried to be too cute bringing the ball down / trying to play it and ended up in trouble that way, so I think this changing of his position during the game will continue. He's still just 25 and needs to adjust to our league.

Danny Simpson will forever be a LCFC legend but I think it's right that Amartey or Ricardo start over him. It's similar to the Fuchs / Chilwell situation where Fuchs is good enough to be a starter for probably 10 teams in the league (including us), but giving Chilwell the games has meant he's developed into currently our best player this season. Where I do think he's been unfairly treated is being told he has no part, and if it was down to me whilst I would tell him he is free to go out on loan I don't mind him being part of the 25 man squad to provide cover, as he's doing now.

I know Amartey is a very marmite player on these forums, but I think it's undeniable he had improved a lot this season compared to previous runs in the team before being injured. So hopefully he comes back before the end of the season to get some games in and improve himself as a player.

Chilwell is proving why a "complete full back" is such a sought after position. He's both stable defensively for us AND is one of our biggest threats offensively too. Not only did he get an assist today but he made countless runs and crosses into the box. If this is mirrored on both sides, then our attacking threat increases a lot. And that's why Simpson's time here is coming to an end, because he doesn't contribute going forwards.

Just to give a relevant example, in his first season in charge of Man City, Guardiola's Man City struggle badly. That summer they went out and brought Kyle Walker (50M), Benjamin Mendy (38M) and Danillo (30M). Mendy got injured meaning that Delph / Zinchenko often deputized but the point is that the fullbacks meant they could go on to win the league by 100 points. The players that Guaridola got rid of were Zabaleta, Kolarov and Sagna, all Premier League winners but all 30+ and without the energy to play the system Pep wanted.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

I don’t know how anyone who’s watched us all season can say Chilwell isn’t a proper defender.  He’s been reliable on that end of the pitch pretty much every week.

I thought this was Ricardo’s best game as a RB, though a simple truth of football is it’s much easier for a player to look good against weak opposition.  He’s our right back now, and calling for a return of Simpson - who simply cannot play the type of football Puel wants to play - is silly.  We’re going to stand or fall with Ricardo, and hopefully he’ll continue to stabilize on the defensive end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t know how anyone who’s watched us all season can say Chilwell isn’t a proper defender.  He’s been reliable on that end of the pitch pretty much every week.

I thought this was Ricardo’s best game as a RB, though a simple truth of football is it’s much easier for a player to look good against weak opposition.  He’s our right back now, and calling for a return of Simpson - who simply cannot play the type of football Puel wants to play - is silly.  We’re going to stand or fall with Ricardo, and hopefully he’ll continue to stabilize on the defensive end.

We are adapting to the current trend - defenders have to do much more than defend. It's difficult for us fans, because we won the league playing bizarre football - that didn't fit with the possession plan.. But we'll never be able to do that again. Marauding wingers are the way to go. I just wish we had a Robertson who could teach them how to cross - maybe we do...

8 minutes ago, trabuch said:

We are adapting to the current trend - defenders have to do much more than defend. It's difficult for us fans, because we won the league playing bizarre football - that didn't fit with the possession plan.. But we'll never be able to do that again. Marauding wingers are the way to go. I just wish we had a Robertson who could teach them how to cross - maybe we do...

Chilwell seems to be learning pretty well...  And I think Ricardo’s crossing is already pretty good on the whole.

• Like 1

I think Claude calling Danny up had much more to do with the emotion of the occasion and to respect his connection to the remaining title winners playing to be honest, rather than actually needing him on the pitch. The whole of the playing staff  being together at this time is very important. If Maguire hadn’t had to be replaced by Evans so early on I doubt Simpson would have got on the pitch.

I do hope he gets a chance in cup games. 

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I like a defender to defend at all costs, none of this fancy dan stuff. But I'm just an old fashioned geezer...

Can’t argue with this. Danny is one of the best full backs for his defensive attributes. 

When he’s on the field you feel like any ball towards our back post will be dealt with.  Great option for situations like today’s 

On 04/11/2018 at 01:02, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I like a defender to defend at all costs, none of this fancy dan stuff. But I'm just an old fashioned geezer...

You do realise you can have players who do both? It’s not just one or the other lol. Chilwell is a good example of this atm. 

3 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

You do realise you can have players who do both? It’s not just one or the other lol. Chilwell is a good example of this atm. 

Absolutely yes. And I would be more than happy to have players who can do both successfully.

I just find some of the criticism of Simpson on here very harsh and think he's not been treated especially well this season.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Absolutely yes. And I would be more than happy to have players who can do both successfully.

I just find some of the criticism of Simpson on here very harsh and think he's not been treated especially well this season.

He's been treated very fair it was spelt out to him at the start of July he was free to find another club.

If he's not in the managers plans and the manager tells him straight then I don't think you can be any fairer than that. 

The fact that he chose to stay here rather than take a pay cut to go and play elsewhere every week was his choice. 

There were at least 2 championship clubs ready to take him.

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

He's been treated very fair it was spelt out to him at the start of July he was free to find another club.

If he's not in the managers plans and the manager tells him straight then I don't think you can be any fairer than that. 

The fact that he chose to stay here rather than take a pay cut to go and play elsewhere every week was his choice. 

There were at least 2 championship clubs ready to take him.

Both simmo and king decided to stay, even though they knew they were unlikely to feature in first team action (king obviously not at all )

i can’t imagine that the club would have been able to transfer or loan either of them out and the player would suffer financially - so why stay?  Is our dressing room really that enjoyable that experienced pros would rather stay here and train with some U23 games than play each week ??

Maybe they, (king/Simpson) believe they will be in the future new managers plans ? 

there’s no garentee that if they go elsewhere to be selected, they at some point will not be picked when a new manager comes in.

is it really worth moving?

Just now, turkish14 said:

Maybe they, (king/Simpson) believe they will be in the future new managers plans ? 

there’s no garentee that if they go elsewhere to be selected, they at some point will not be picked when a new manager comes in.

is it really worth moving?

That'd mean throwing away at least a season of their careers when both have 6/7 seasons left max. Not really likely