Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
abdul_fox

Simpson- Not in Puels Plans

He's been a superb player under Ranieri and Shakespeare, was the pits under Pearson but admittedly we were struggling and then last season he was still decent but showed he's not got anywhere near what it takes to be an attacking right back.

What a bargain, hope he finds a new club. Could see him going Stoke, Blackburn or Burnley.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Solid right back, underated for many years, an unsung hero really, not just in the title winning season but he's been solid in the last 2 without getting much credit. Slated by many, slated by even more for strangling his ex misus but after that he knuckled right back down again (and his ex misus still says he's a great dad), did his job well, a true professional on the pitch, probably the best RB we've had at the club in the last 20 years. Admits himself he's no wingback, gave it a go and that's all you can ask. Bye Danny, I for one appreciate your time here. Good luck with the future! 

Really :ph34r: Pun intended? 

Edited by HankMarvin

See, this is great timing. Will leave me with nothing but good memories of a guy who truly maximised his ability and was integral to all we did. But we've outgrown him and the style has changed. Still got a lot to offer the right club at this level.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
38 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Not surprised by this. It's clear given ages etc Amartey offers more in every sense. But he has been a good servant to the Club. The number of times he's saved Morgan on the back post.

Thanks for the memories but it is the right time to go.

Simpson is an infinitely better defender than Big Dan..

:D

And the thought of Amartey playing in some sort of wing-back style......:nono:

Interesting. Once again, reduces depth at RB which Perreira briefly solved but suggests Amartey is firmly entrenched as the de facto utility back with DJ (if/when he signs up) falling into a similar category. Focus is definitely on sustainability through identifying youth with strong upside and versatility. Cheaper in the short term and potential for profit later on. Perhaps that’s the crux of our new 5 year plan while we develop infrastructure?

9 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

See, this is great timing. Will leave me with nothing but good memories of a guy who truly maximised his ability and was integral to all we did. But we've outgrown him and the style has changed. Still got a lot to offer the right club at this level.

Completely agree, sadly. I slated Simpson when he started playing for us, but I've changed my perception of him. Works hard and ended being a reliable right back as you can get. It was noticeable when he wasn't playing. 

Will be sad to see him go, but he leaves with good faith and with his reputation massively enhanced. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sphericalfox said:

That'll be Mr. Albrighton for cover.

Certainly agree with Albrighton as additional cover. He fits the versatility mould. But would argue that Amartey also presents as a RB/RM based on previous playing time. Certainly has the engine to commit to this role. 

I personally think its an error of judgement. 

He's shit going forward and replacing him was a good idea but I'd still keep him in the squad for games we anticipate being on the back foot. He's a solid defensive full back, better than Amartey or Albrighton. 

I'd go so far as to say that despite wanting to see Ricardo play the majority of games, this first one at Old Trafford is a good example of a fixture I'd probably favour Simpson for. 

Having a full back that used to be a winger and a very defensive full back both in the squad makes us nicely tactically versatile. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, psychonaut said:

Another immortal bites the dust if true. I suppose it was about time, he’s had a good run. Whatever you say about the guy he’ll live forever fondly in the memory of many a city fan including myself.

How he never got an England call up I’ll never know

1 minute ago, Biggles22 said:

Certainly agree with Albrighton as additional cover. He fits the versatility mould. But would argue that Amartey also presents as a RB/RM based on previous playing time. Certainly has the engine to commit to this role. 

Really? Every time I've watched Albrighton at RB/RWB he tends to close down the opposing winger far too high up the pitch and get caught (like he's a winger/wide-midfielder himself, shock). Can't remember who it was against last season when he gave away a penalty at home, but it was clear he was trying to compensate for his poor positioning by making a last-ditch/clumsy tackle. Going into a new season with Albrighton as cover for RB does not fill me with confidence at all and I'd rather keep DS, but Amartey will do.

Anyway, good luck to Simmo. Was absolutely immense when we won the league and was one of the better players when everyone decided to down tools under Ranieri.

Burnley makes sense, still lives in Manchester and wouldn't be playing possession football (based on the garbage hoof-ball last night vs Aberdeen).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

How he never got an England call up I’ll never know

Really?

maybe because he is purely a defender and offers absolutely nothing in possession - saw him linked with Huddersfield- no chance. 

Opposition knew they had only to press him and the ball went back to Kasper or punted to them - to see that change will take some of the loss of riyad away from a tactical perspective. 

• Like 2

Another that you have to put in the bracket of 'Greatest Ever Signings' but I agree with Puel that it's best for all if he's moved on.

He's too good to sit on our bench. I can see someone like Warnock getting him.

20 minutes ago, Biggles22 said:

Mark Albrghton as a right back is ridiculous. He can't defend, despite his best efforts. We are a Premiership club with 7 subs available on the day. Not realistic.

36 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I personally think its an error of judgement. 

He's shit going forward and replacing him was a good idea but I'd still keep him in the squad for games we anticipate being on the back foot. He's a solid defensive full back, better than Amartey or Albrighton. 

I'd go so far as to say that despite wanting to see Ricardo play the majority of games, this first one at Old Trafford is a good example of a fixture I'd probably favour Simpson for. 

Having a full back that used to be a winger and a very defensive full back both in the squad makes us nicely tactically versatile. 

I was thinking this. He’s probably better than Pereira in a purely defensive role.