Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
abdul_fox

Simpson- Not in Puels Plans

He was an unfavoured appointment for our weakest position in years.

Had a good run? He bailed us out and repaid us with exceptional, professional and committed performances.

Perhaps to the peak and above his level but we would not have won the title without him.

I'd like to think he grew as a footballer and a person whilst with us.

I'll never forget you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Simpson is an infinitely better defender than Big Dan..

:D

And the thought of Amartey playing in some sort of wing-back style......:nono:

Yes he is in the old fashion style. But in the new system Amartey offers more as does Periera.

He's never let us down and saved us a few times with his pace. He was even confident enough to beat men with Ball against Valencia. Something Simpson would never do.

He'll continue to improve with Puel's coaching and support wait and see.

Just now, BKLFox said:

Puel, damned if he does damned if he doesn't. 

Not sure that's the point. We had one RB we bought a replacement. If Simpson goes we have one again. Yes a better player but one?

That's not improvement it's stupid. Imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Not sure that's the point. We had one RB we bought a replacement. If Simpson goes we have one again. Yes a better player but one?

Doesn't take a genius to see that Amartey will be back up for pereira. We don't need 3 RBs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

So add a backup RB to the 'needed' list as well then. I really don't get this. He's a good defender. Obviously lacking going forward but I think we'll regret letting him go. He's a better option than Amartey in that position. 

Amartey did just fine and he's a damn sure younger too. Plus Puel has obviously been having a good look at Johnson who can cover CB and RB.

** god damn bloody phone. Ignore my crap spelling.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sylofox said:

But is improvement not getting a better replacement & nurturing a younger replacement as backup & building for the future? 

Chances are Simpson has had a say in this anyway by asking if he's #1 got the answer & thought I'm pushing on I need to play therefore I need to go..

It is sad when a legend moves on.  Simpson was good enough to be in a league winning team.  His defensive qualities worked for us.  

Wallington, Whitworth, Rofe...             Schmichael, Simpson, Fuchs....

Edited by majaco
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Bad decision imo. Sorry but all I see is Puel shipping out big players in the dressing room to secure his own job. It’ll end badly if we are in trouble and we have no big characters to save us.

Which big players? He's shipped out, or tried to, players who most on here agree should be shipped out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Simpson is an infinitely better defender than Big Dan..

:D

And the thought of Amartey playing in some sort of wing-back style......:nono:

They're both great defenders, and to think Amartey is seven years Simpson's junior...

Lots of potential there still, whereas Simpson's on the decline.

Amartey will likely never feature as a wing-back, but provide defensive cover. Yet judging from pre-season, he's got quite a decent cross on him, so...

49 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Bad decision imo. Sorry but all I see is Puel shipping out big players in the dressing room to secure his own job. It’ll end badly if we are in trouble and we have no big characters to save us.

What if the players themselves realize they're no longer fit to cut it as a Premier League regular?

I'd like to think they're at least that smart.

Guest Col city fan
54 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

That’s the opposite side of the coin and I see where you are coming from. Puel is now making this HIS squad (as he should) and if it doesn’t work out, it’ll be interesting to see how the club gets without the likes of Simmo and King being around anymore.

Both Simpson and King have been fantastic for the club but everyone can see Simpson is in decline and can’t play full back and King has got to a level and stuck at it . Both steady pros that have never really pulled up trees in the premiership  I wish them both all the best 

Edited by baldeagle

A superb player in The Unbelievables. Ranieri understood and played to his strengths while protecting us from his weaknesses. One of few who actually improved the season after (just him & Kasper?).

Time to go though. Leeds perhaps? 

Happy with Amartey as cover for Perreira, despite that shocking cameo v. Man U. Knight looks a prospect as third choice. But not, please Albrighton. Just don’t!

Guest Col city fan
20 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

They're both great defenders, and to think Amartey is seven years Simpson's junior...

Lots of potential there still, whereas Simpson's on the decline.

Amartey will likely never feature as a wing-back, but provide defensive cover. Yet judging from pre-season, he's got quite a decent cross on him, so...

Amartey isn’t a ‘great defender’. 

:dunno:

In the same day you’ve suggested Leon Bailey would want to sign for City, you’re now likening Big Dan to Paolo Maldini....

Good old MC...

42 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

He was an unfavoured appointment for our weakest position in years.

Had a good run? He bailed us out and repaid us with exceptional, professional and committed performances.

Perhaps to the peak and above his level but we would not have won the title without him.

I'd like to think he grew as a footballer and a person whilst with us.

I'll never forget you.

Emotional :cry:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Rumble's gonna say it.......

Club.  Legend.  X

If he does go then best of luck to him and thanks for the memories. 

Personally can’t bring myself to say such words about the bloke. 

The beating of his child’s mother means he doesn’t deserve those words. Neither his constant need to show off his wealth on instagram either. 

3 hours ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

His arrival was hardly marked with a fanfare, he was a player whom many despised due to some personal issues yet he overcame them and became a very important player in that season of seasons! He is an old fashioned outright defender, limited in a way, but proficient in his duties and so very key at defending those back post positions with balls coming in from our left. Possibly underrated & undervalued because of his limited value up front, but with Mahrez in front of him he had to sit in. One of the team of legends I’ll love forever. 

A very interesting point, it may well be the answer to replacing Mahrez is in both the right back and right wing position, Danny Simpson being the less crucial with his skill set now Mahrez has gone?

One of our immortals.

In 15-20 years time, when his career is long behind him, he'll be welcome back here as one of our legends.

I'm gutted he never scored.  He came soooo close when Okazaki darted in and scored against Swansea.

From a team perspective, he seemed to be really great mates with Vardy, so it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

And the funniest thing about that Flintstones song for him (which was really catchy) was that he could have secured 20 clean sheets and scored 15 goals, and Gareth Southgate would still never, ever, in a million years, have put the fooker in the England team.

• Like 1