Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

Just now, Redouane said:

I didn't even know Monaco had fans. It's sole purpose is being PSG and Man City's academy. 

Tout les supporters de Monaco sont des footix. Les vrais monegasques s'en tapent completement de ce club... 

What an imagination ! You're the first making that joke ! ^^ 

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

In Ward and Ghezzal we've bought two players in their mid 20's that have relatively failed in their careers who have cost £25m between them and probably will take another £16m out in wages. Both have come here to be squad players and sold by clubs who wanted rid of them with no other suitors.

I can accept if they were both highly rated teenagers who we've took a punt on and even if they never progressed I can accept that as well. I've never criticised the Kaputska signing as it looked a good punt at the time but it will probably never work out. Ward and Ghezzal have failure written all over it, the likelihood is we've started filling our squad up again with more mediocrity on players whom are neither good enough or young enough to improve drastically. 

Unfair on Ward.

Can‘t really compare goalkeepers to field players, as the former hit their peak later in their career.

Also, Ward is highly-rated, was about to break through at Liverpool.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Great how you can twist an argument in your favour by the subjective use of stats.

I‘ll give it a try myself.

Ghezzal‘s last two Ligue 1 seasons (Olympique Lyonnais & AS Monaco):

52 matches, 4 goals, 8 assists.

:nigel:

But the minutes that he has played is closer to 22 matches overall (~2000mins). 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

Those talking about money do me a favour each team basically gets at least 100 million every year to spunk up the wall, hence why transfer fees paid by prem clubs have no value. Its like a rich kid going out shopping, he's not going to go to primark to buy 10 quid jeans, he thinks fvck it I will buy 200 quid jeans that look the same because I can. 

I personally would rather we promoted Harvey Barnes, but maybe his time will come next season. 

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Unfair on Ward.

Can‘t really compare goalkeepers to field players, as the former hit their peak later in their career.

Also, Ward is highly-rated, was about to break through at Liverpool.

Yeah so Liverpool tell us. :rolleyes:

The indisputable facts are though he was third choice behind Mingloet and Karius so it seems like a line telling us he was on the cusp of the first team until they bought Allison.

He's also come here as second choice which is hardly the move a soon to be Liverpool No1 wants to make. 

There is also anecdotal evidence of him being behind Hennessey in the Wales team and the Huddersfield fans thinking he was bang average Championship standard when he played a season there but we've been through this. :D

Edited by Gerard

I didn't really mind the Ward signing. Seeing as we value our 1st choice keeper at 30m+, paying 12.5m for our 2nd choice keeper and 3.5m for our 3rd choice keeper almost makes sense.

Ghezzal... seems to have been bought as a backup winger solely on Puel's request. Tbh if he's been bought for the bench, I'm more concerned about his rumoured attitude than whether or not he's any good at football.

I can't bring myself to watch any of his YouTube compilations. I'll rewatch YELLOW instead to cheer me up. :blush:

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

But the minutes that he has played is closer to 22 matches overall (~2000mins). 

He must be good then.

In his breakthrough season with Lyon, he played only 200 minutes more than in 16/17, and managed to score 8 goals and add 8 assists.

Proper mustard.:nigel:

(Apologies for the excessive use of the Pearson face, but it represents my current mood the best)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Looks to me like he has a bit of talent. But like alot of wingers misuses it. 

From the YouTube video I think there is something there. Maybe Puel can make him consistent.  Maybe it'll turn out he doesn't adapt to the PL and we're trying to offload him next summer. This type of player could go either 

6 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Jesus christ guys, let's give him a chance. I agree we're probably not all getting hugely excited about this signing but the slating he's getting is ludicrous. In this day and age it's hardly a huge amount of money and it's worth a risk. We must remember he's not Mahrez but anyone we got would not be either so let's see what he brings first before we slate him 

Marhez wasn't all that when he arrived and look how he turned out. Agree give him a chance he might be the new marhez. 

9 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Looks to me like he has a bit of talent. But like alot of wingers misuses it. 

From the YouTube video I think there is something there. Maybe Puel can make him consistent.  Maybe it'll turn out he doesn't adapt to the PL and we're trying to offload him next summer. This type of player could go either way. 

19 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I admire your optimism but he barely played because we had Mahrez and Albrighton on fire. Now we no longer have Riyad and Albrighton will do well to replicate that form.

It was a little tongue in cheek?

People need to stop bellyaching about the price tag for Gazelle and for Ward. Have a look at the transfer ins and outs for all the premier league teams and see how many buys there have been so far under £10m - not many at all. The fact is £12m is nothing these days.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2018

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

What happens to this guy when Puel gets the bullet?... 

More deadwood? 

We wait 3.5 years for his contract to run out.

Ps i will gladly eat  a strawberry filled donut as punishment if he does well

Edited by Jattdogg

Underwhelmed to be honest.

I didn't really want to believe it when I saw the rumours and his 'highlights' reel but of course he should be given a fair crack of the whip. 

For me it is a big gamble on a 4 year contract and have we essentially just replaced Musa and not Mahrez? That is the worry for me. If it doesn't seem at all likely that the player coming in can in anyway improve the team or match what we had previously, then I don't think there is any need to spunk the money, especially when so many promising youngsters are trying to breakthrough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

He must be good then.

In his breakthrough season with Lyon, he played only 200 minutes more than in 16/17, and managed to score 8 goals and add 8 assists.

Proper mustard.:nigel:

(Apologies for the excessive use of the Pearson face, but it represents my current mood the best)

I actually haven't totally written him off. 

On the positive sides he's good enough to get games for Lyon and Monaco and has had a standout season, it's obvious the lad has a lot of ability and Puel might be able to coax that out of him like he did Ben Arfa.

I just think it's a bad value buy, we probably could have had him on loan with a fixed option to buy, I don't believe Monaco were in a position to call the shots. I also don't think a club like ours needs to take unnecessary risks on players. With our budget and net spend this window we should have got the best player we could. We've been linked with Malcolm and Leon Bailey this summer and whilst both were probably unobtainable this is a big downgrade. 

4 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

People need to stop bellyaching about the price tag for Gazelle and for Ward. Have a look at the transfer ins and outs for all the premier league teams and see how many buys there have been so far under £10m - not many at all. The fact is £12m is nothing these days.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2018

So, just because other teams pay that much means we have to spend excessively, too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

lol

Greatest highlights reel ever.

He'll fit in great.

Gray, schlupp, Lloyd dyer at his worst, all rolled into one. 

Junior Lewis for Lennon and wise for izzet anyone.

I know we need to give him a chance and we've all been wowed by YouTube before but you can't say we haven't been warned. This could be great 

Edited by gw_leics772