Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

46 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

That was actually an interesting article, thanks for that and has made me feel slightly better.  Of course stats can be misleading and there are tens of caveats when using them but it does, at the very least, show that our scouting team and Puel have more to base the signing on than a risky "Puel knows him and he looks a bit like Mahrez" argument that many on here feared.  Time will tell but it would certainly be churlish and strange to wish him anything but the best and welcome him to our club with a wish to succeed.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Simi said:

Yes, the Lyon fan who has watched him regularly and clearly has a solid understanding of the player has good things to say about him. But John from Braunstone says he's shit and lazy despite not hearing about him until last week, so that's my mind made up.

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'll have you know I'm from Oadby. ACTUALLY.

;)

I wasn't sure whether it was you that "John from Braunstone"  was calling "shit and lazy", thanks for clarifying that.....

8 hours ago, Pascal said:

Easy.

They play an amazing football in which scoring goals, lots of them, is the main objective. They also give their chance to young talents, while keeping a few stars around to help them blossom into world class players. From Thierry Henry, George Weah or David Trezeguet to Anthony Martial and Killian Mbappé, the list of talents who emerged on the scene thanks to Monaco is a long one. Sure, the team is not rich enough to keep all these talents when EPL or La Liga clubs come knocking at their door, but they always manage to rebound, sometimes reaching amazing heights. In 2004, they reached the Champions League final and lost to Mourinho's Porto side. But in getting there, they eliminated the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid.

In other words, Monaco tries to build success, and not simply buy it like Paris Saint-Germain has been attempting for the last few years. The latter might statistically have better chance to win a European Trophy when they have the means to afford to two largest transfers in the history of football, but where's the fun in that? At least Monaco's business model is sustainable and doesn't require a Qatari sugar daddy to run.

Since childhood, Monaco has been my club. As a kid, I've watched matches under pouring rain in the old Louis II stadium, the one that preceded the current one. I saw players who went on to gain international fame, and I never got bored one minute in the process. I've watched Claude Puel as a player, then as a fitness coach, and finally rise as the head coach. This club made him the Manager he is today, and that's why I believe he might be a good fit for Leicester, because he knows how to build a team and nurture its young talents. He did that as well in Lille, and that's why Eden Hazard acknowledges him as the coach who's had the biggest impact on his career. Sure, he might not be the most exciting person to listen to in interviews (he's the same way in French), but don't be fooled by his dull delivery. Inside he is still the fierce competitor he was as a player. And if there's someone who can resurrect Ghezzal's motivation and confidence to allow him to regain his best level, I believe Claude Puel to be that man.

A very good post with some perspective. I think I heard that Monaco also faced some financial problems that led to the latest round of sales. They are an exciting self sufficient club with whom Puel was a respected success.

10 hours ago, Pascal said:

Easy.

They play an amazing football in which scoring goals, lots of them, is the main objective. They also give their chance to young talents, while keeping a few stars around to help them blossom into world class players. From Thierry Henry, George Weah or David Trezeguet to Anthony Martial and Killian Mbappé, the list of talents who emerged on the scene thanks to Monaco is a long one. Sure, the team is not rich enough to keep all these talents when EPL or La Liga clubs come knocking at their door, but they always manage to rebound, sometimes reaching amazing heights. In 2004, they reached the Champions League final and lost to Mourinho's Porto side. But in getting there, they eliminated the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid.

In other words, Monaco tries to build success, and not simply buy it like Paris Saint-Germain has been attempting for the last few years. The latter might statistically have better chance to win a European Trophy when they have the means to afford to two largest transfers in the history of football, but where's the fun in that? At least Monaco's business model is sustainable and doesn't require a Qatari sugar daddy to run.

Since childhood, Monaco has been my club. As a kid, I've watched matches under pouring rain in the old Louis II stadium, the one that preceded the current one. I saw players who went on to gain international fame, and I never got bored one minute in the process. I've watched Claude Puel as a player, then as a fitness coach, and finally rise as the head coach. This club made him the Manager he is today, and that's why I believe he might be a good fit for Leicester, because he knows how to build a team and nurture its young talents. He did that as well in Lille, and that's why Eden Hazard acknowledges him as the coach who's had the biggest impact on his career. Sure, he might not be the most exciting person to listen to in interviews (he's the same way in French), but don't be fooled by his dull delivery. Inside he is still the fierce competitor he was as a player. And if there's someone who can resurrect Ghezzal's motivation and confidence to allow him to regain his best level, I believe Claude Puel to be that man.

I'm not sure what's more impressive: the fact this is your second language, or that you've made Monoco sound interesting.

11 hours ago, Pascal said:

Easy.

This,

Well said sir.

I needed your linguistic skills on my Puel in thread!

I also believe Puel to be that man.

It's important that we give this guy a chance to see what he can do and not keep comparing him to Riyad. it took Riyad a while to settle in and it might be the same here. we need to give him every chance and all the tools at his disposal to succeed and then judge him.

Guest Cujek
10 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

It's important that we give this guy a chance to see what he can do and not keep comparing him to Riyad. it took Riyad a while to settle in and it might be the same here. we need to give him every chance and all the tools at his disposal to succeed and then judge him.

It took Mahrez time to settle, then 're settle after he unsettled himself and then went off sulking.

If this guy gets his head down, puts effort in and has a good attitude he can be a success 

I've actually come round to the Ghezzal signing. Sure it's a gamble but the man obviously has a lot of talent, you don't play over 100 games for clubs like Lyon and Monaco unless you have something about you. 

It's a big positive that Puel has worked with him before as he knows what he's getting. Ghezzal whilst never likely to be a Mahrez level player but could have a bit of je ne sais quoi about him. At 26yo Ghezzal should be old enough to realise that he needs to kick on as a player as he's no spring chicken and he's got not much more than a good five years left.

31 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I've actually come round to the Ghezzal signing. Sure it's a gamble but the man obviously has a lot of talent, you don't play over 100 games for clubs like Lyon and Monaco unless you have something about you. 

It's a big positive that Puel has worked with him before as he knows what he's getting. Ghezzal whilst never likely to be a Mahrez level player but could have a bit of je ne sais quoi about him. At 26yo Ghezzal should be old enough to realise that he needs to kick on as a player as he's no spring chicken and he's got not much more than a good five years left.

That's quite the turnaround bud, are you feeling okay?

Just now, lcfc sheff said:

That's quite the turnaround bud, are you feeling okay?

I'm Mr Positive today. :cool:

The elasticity for Ghezzal's level is huge, he could be an absolute waster or a £50m player by the end of the season.

No turnaround on the Ward transfer though, I just can't see anyway that was ever value. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We need to keep in mind that not every manager can get the most out of every player. Some of the most talented players have come with a weak or unfocused mindset, which can and often does result in poor performances. I trust that Puel can get something out of Ghezzal, in part because of his work with players such as Henry, Hazard, Trezeguet, Lacazette, and Ben Arfa, among others.

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I'm not sure what's more impressive: the fact this is your second language, or that you've made Monoco sound interesting.

Monte Carlo is interesting - to drive through. :ph34r: Can also lose money easily down there...

Also, a tiny country host to a plethora of international citizens, business metropolis for many a (rich) foreigner...

Edited by MC Prussian