Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

26 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Also, a tiny country host to a plethora of international citizens, business metropolis for many a (rich) foreigner...

That's one of the reasons why their football club just cannot get huge crowds. There are roughly 30,000 people officially living in Monaco, and only 5,000 of these holding Monégasque citizenship. Not many millionaires are interested in watching live football. Sure, there are some fans scattered in the surrounding cities in France, but there's competition for support from Nice which is merely 15 miles away.

That explains why the stadium is rarely ever full, even though at 18,500 seats it is one of the smallest in Ligue 1. On the other hand, thanks to the attractive level of play, there are many Monaco supporters in other parts of France. So ironically Monaco is one of the clubs which attracts the biggest crowds of its supporters for away games. This is not enough though to convince some players to stay there when they get the opportunity to show their talent in front of much larger audiences in more prestigious leagues. Just like it was the case for Mahrez at Leicester, once a player decides that he's grown too big for the club he plays for, there's not much point fighting it.

It's a pity that many foreign football fans don't go past the glitzy image of the Principality, because there's quality football to watch there. As we say in the local idiom: "Daghe Munegu!" :)

Edited by Pascal

2 minutes ago, matthewgor said:

I think he looks decent today.

Thought he looked poor. Sure he's got a good touch but he looks slow and is so one footed.

Of course, that's on 30 mins so I'll give him plenty of time and hope he can do a good job for us.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Thought he looked poor. Sure he's got a good touch but he looks slow and is so one footed.

Of course, that's on 30 mins so I'll give him plenty of time and hope he can do a good job for us.

Agree with all of the above but it’s only the first game.

Guest Kopfkino

He looked like he'd got lead in his boots. Not enough to judge him on, difficult coming on at Old Trafford after a week with a new team in a new country. Lost his man for the second goal and it seemed obvious as soon as he came on he needed work defensively. 

Looked lightweight to me and totally switched off for their second. That’s his man who scored the decisive goal after all. Early days though, certainly won’t write him off based on that and he did some nice things too. 

11 minutes ago, tetly said:

Agree with all of the above but it’s only the first game.

I know it as that's why I said it was only 30 mins. Just as people go overboard after barely seeing a player saying they're crap, they also do it when somebody does quite well. Let just see with the guy.

13 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

He looked nervous, first take on worked but rest of the game was poor. I think we may regret not splashing out on a top quality ball playing attacking right sided midfielder

I don't want to judge this guy on 30 mins but he is slow.

I think we are 1 quality wide man away from having a very good side.

• Like 1