Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

7 hours ago, Webbo said:

I don't know how anyone can have an opinion on him yet. That said, this is a LCFC football forum and discussing players is what we're here for. This attempting to shut down any views about players/manager/club that are less than positive, is getting a bit boring now.

How is countering ridiculous comments (in my opinion) about a player that's only had 30 mins, as you state at the beginning of your post, shutting down Webbo? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if others opinion differ and it's questioned/challenged then surely it's a debate? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

How is countering ridiculous comments (in my opinion) about a player that's only had 30 mins, as you state at the beginning of your post, shutting down Webbo? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if others opinion differ and it's questioned/challenged then surely it's a debate? 

I'll tell you, bluetintedspecs. All this " he only had 30 minutes", " you're hoping that he fails" is insinuating that no criticism is legitimate and is all part of some bitter plot. If you disagree then argue about the substance,don't be so dismissive.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Believe me I wasn't being dismissive and I at no point said or inferred you are hoping he fails. My point was not personal in any way. Despite my user name and more positive than negative outlook I am very much the realist when it comes to our club, almost 50 years of following them tends to do that to you. I was debating the substance, how on earth can anyone have an informed opinion on a player that has only played 30 mins, just arrived in the country as not played in the Prem so hardly been seen, new teammates, possibly new system etc etc? I feel he deserves time to settle and to see him in a number of games before I form my opinion.

In conclusion I think those saying he's crap now are the ones being dismissive and judgemental.

I think it would be strange not to have an opinion about a new signing. 

Don't you have an opinion about Evans or Maddison?

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think it would be strange not to have an opinion about a new signing. 

Don't you have an opinion about Evans or Maddison?

Agreed. Good or bad. Sometimes  we see video and make an assessment (right or wrong). Doesnt matter what side you are so long as in the end you can admit you were proven wrong and still show love for the club.

17 hours ago, murphy said:

He's had 150+ games.  His career didn't start on Friday night so he isn't an unknown quantity.

I think that it is reasonable to suggest that Albrighton has more defensive qualities to his game than Ghezzal but also more than most wingers, Gray and Diabate included.

Agree with this. Don't write him off yet but it's quite clear if you look at his history what some of his strengths and weaknesses are. Albrighton's defensively one of the best wingers in the league.

15 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Evans I have seen play and Maddison was well documented as an excellent player in the championship and I'd seen him on some sky matches.Ghezal I genuinely know absolutely  nothing about. I am not going form an opinion based on a few YouTube clips 

OK.  It would have been better to ask you whether you have an opinion on Benkovic and the Turkish lad who's name I can't spell yet.  I have, because there are loads of resources online that will tell you all about any player (not youtube highlights) and those two look to be highly rated youngsters and good signings on paper  with potential to get better.  

15 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I prefer to base it on actually watching him play for us.He might be good, bad or indifferent I'd just rather wait and see before slating him.

I agree with you, you should wait and see before slating him, but, you can still have an opinion on the signing otherwise we might as well just shut down the transfer window section of the forum since that is all that it is.

I have been critical but I have taken pains to point out that my criticism is of the club not the player.  I would have thought that getting the best quality winger possible would be a priority for the club with Riyad leaving.  We have the funds, we've had time to plan  and we have seen that better quality options are available.  I have come to the conclusion that he was signed as a fourth winger as I don't think he is any better than those that we already have. We have chosen not to replace RM directly with a significant signing which is a mistake IMO.

He may prove to be good, bad or indifferent as you say.  I'm just disapponted because I expected the club to go all out for top quality under the circumstances.

Edited by murphy

1 hour ago, murphy said:

OK.  It would have been better to ask you whether you have an opinion on Benkovic and the Turkish lad who's name I can't spell yet.  I have, because there are loads of resources online that will tell you all about any player (not youtube highlights) and those two look to be highly rated youngsters and good signings on paper  with potential to get better.  

I agree with you, you should wait and see before slating him, but, you can still have an opinion on the signing otherwise we might as well just shut down the transfer window section of the forum since that is all that it is.

I have been critical but I have taken pains to point out that my criticism is of the club not the player.  I would have thought that getting the best quality winger possible would be a priority for the club with Riyad leaving.  We have the funds, we've had time to plan  and we have seen that better quality options are available.  I have come to the conclusion that he was signed as a fourth winger as I don't think he is any better than those that we already have. We have chosen not to replace RM directly with a significant signing which is a mistake IMO.

He may prove to be good, bad or indifferent as you say.  I'm just disapponted because I expected the club to go all out for top quality under the circumstances.

I'm afraid I'm old school and tend to limit my on line surfing/ evaluations, partly CBA, partly an age thing :P I enjoy reading and participating in the forum and like the snippets of news and debates, however, I do find some of the knee-jerk reactions on here both frustrating and comedic in equal measures.

I love the passion and enthusiasm I just wish people would temper it with a bit of patience.

Re replacing Riyad, that is a real conundrum, we could have spaffed the entire fee from him on a 'big name' but then there's would they want to come here or what if they were a flop? Personally I'm happier with the  investments on the young and upcoming/potential signings ala Riyad, N'golo Wilf with us now and potentially the 2 centre backs and Rashid, Who knows? Maddison looks top drawer so overall I'm delighted with our transfer window potential.

Ps forgot Evans, should be quality and experience and Pereira looks v promising.

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

20 hours ago, Webbo said:

I'll tell you, bluetintedspecs. All this " he only had 30 minutes", " you're hoping that he fails" is insinuating that no criticism is legitimate and is all part of some bitter plot. If you disagree then argue about the substance,don't be so dismissive.

Having been given 24 hours off for good behaviour, I'd like to (respectfully) address this, since you've been good enough to clarify the thinking behind the action.

Since it was me that said (probably slightly more tongue in cheek than came across) 'He only had 30 minutes', the intended insinuation is not the one you took - however, I will take the blame for that, and instead explain what I WAS trying to insinuate.

I'll agree that I was being dismissive - that's fair - but NOT of the opinion in isolation. There is a world of difference between a thought out, reasoned criticism, to a knee-jerk, instant dismissal of a player who has only been at the club a few days. So what I was dismissing, was in fact him being dismissive! It is very hard to argue with a mind that appears to be already made up. You'll note that my comment was popular, which doesn't necessarily mean all that much, but clearly I wasn't the only person who felt that the post I was responding to was rank.

I am all for criticism, but there seems to be some confusion about what that actually entails - if I were hell bent on killing off all criticism here, I'd never get any sleep, since there is lots posted that I entirely disagree with, and which I quietly read and move on.

I have just read through this section of the forum - for consistency's sake, I hope a few more people have been given a bit of time off, since some of the stuff I've read today seems way beyond the pale to me.

Edited by HighPeakFox

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Having been given 24 hours off for good behaviour, I'd like to (respectfully) address this, since you've been good enough to clarify the thinking behind the action.

Since it was me that said (probably slightly more tongue in cheek than came across) 'He only had 30 minutes', the intended insinuation is not the one you took - however, I will take the blame for that, and instead explain what I WAS trying to insinuate.

I'll agree that I was being dismissive - that's fair - but NOT of the opinion in isolation. There is a world of difference between a thought out, reasoned criticism, to a knee-jerk, instant dismissal of a player who has only been at the club a few days. So what I was dismissing, was in fact him being dismissive! It is very hard to argue with a mind that appears to be already made up. You'll note that my comment was popular, which doesn't necessarily mean all that much, but clearly I wasn't the only person who felt that the post I was responding to was rank.

I am all for criticism, but there seems to be some confusion about what that actually entails - if I were hell bent on killing off all criticism here, I'd never get any sleep, since there is lots posted that I entirely disagree with, and which I quietly read and move on.

I have just read through this section of the forum - for consistency's sake, I hope a few more people have been given a bit of time off, since some of the stuff I've read today seems way beyond the pale to me.

You been on the naughty step Peaky? ?

10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Something like that :) I just tried to message you to thank you for your efforts in this matter - hopefully there's a little more understanding now.

It takes all sorts to make the World go round pal, re messaging I've probably not got something switched on? My lad calls me a techno dinosoar ?

I personally feel the impatience and knee-jerk reactions are born out of passion, desire, frustration and a large helping of impatience.

I just call it how I see it not right or wrong just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

It takes all sorts to make the World go round pal, re messaging I've probably not got something switched on? My lad calls me a techno dinosoar ?

I personally feel the impatience and knee-jerk reactions are born out of passion, desire, frustration and a large helping of impatience.

Check your settings :)

21 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

That's a lot impatience.  :P

I just want to make two points.  To address this idea of knee-jerk reactions.  It would be certainly knee-jerk to base your opinion on his debut at OT for instance, but for me, while we have been linked to this player, I have taken the time to have a good look at his career, at his attributes and abilities, his stats and also to read the feedback from Monaco fans and Algeria fans that see him play every week.  The signs are not good.  It is not a knee-jerk reaction but a considered opinion based on all the info that I could find. 

I'd also like to point out the difference between criticising a player and criticising a signing.  Two different things.  IMO, we've got this wrong.  Not the player's fault and I will give him the time and opportunity to prove me wrong before I curse him and flay him and tar and feather him.

(The last bit was a joke btw).

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, murphy said:

That's a lot impatience.  :P

I just want to make two points.  To address this idea of knee-jerk reactions.  It would be certainly knee-jerk to base your opinion on his debut at OT for instance, but for me, while we have been linked to this player, I have taken the time to have a good look at his career, at his attributes and abilities, his stats and also to read the feedback from Monaco fans and Algeria fans that see him play every week.  The signs are not good.  It is not a knee-jerk reaction but a considered opinion based on all the info that I could find. 

I'd also like to point out the difference between criticising a player and criticising a signing.  Two different things.  IMO, we've got this wrong.  Not the player's fault and I will give him the time and opportunity to prove me wrong before I curse him and flay him and tar and feather him.

(The last bit was a joke btw).

Ha ha ha , Mr Technophobe here hasn't done that research, however I would also like to point out there is a possibility that a player doesn't fit at a certain club may work here ?Claude and the scouting team may believe they can unlock an unfulfilled talent, let's hope? The impatience around has made me impatient about how this pans out. How do I handle this impatience? :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Ha ha ha , Mr Technophobe here hasn't done that research, however I would also like to point out there is a possibility that a player doesn't fit at a certain club may work here ?Claude and the scouting team may believe they can unlock an unfulfilled talent, let's hope? The impatience around has made me impatient about how this pans out. How do I handle this impatience? :P

My method is to take a large sip of full bodied red, say “Fuch it” and enjoy the ride. 

Supporting Leicester for almost 50years has been many things, but never dull. ?

1 minute ago, Nickfosse said:

My method is to take a large sip of full bodied red, say “Fuch it” and enjoy the ride. 

Supporting Leicester for almost 50years has been many things, but never dull. ?

I'm with you there, after this long and the ride we've been on its a wonder we're not in rehab ?

• Haha 1

I think Ghezzal is going to get some joy from cutting in and unleashing some ripsnorters. There were so many times on Friday where Man Utd were camped on the edge of their area and we needed someone to find space to take aim at goal. Maddison tried to find space, as did Gray but both opted to slip through balls to Iheanacho which very nearly worked in the 1st half but we were crying out for a few pot shots. Ghezzal's main strength is long range shooting, so I hope he starts having a go early. A goal soon in to his career here will be a massive boost for him.

• Like 4

Well if he doesn’t perform... I liked the look of Ndukwu again last night (for u23’s). Seems full of confidence, drifts into areas that defenders found hard to pick up, takes set pieces, good with both feet, scored... love to see him start in a league cup game, seems presseason with first team has brought him up another level

Edited by lcfceaves
  • Like 3

On 08/08/2018 at 09:16, gw_leics772 said:

Interesting article. That Monaco fan suggested Ghezzal may be decent it Puel can rekindle the kind of his past form. But the article also says Ghezzal is most dangerous coming on as a sub against tired legs: I wonder if that's why Richardo initially played RW only to be moved back in place of Ghezzal in the second half.

Edited by Foxxed