Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Can we not just give people a chance before abusing them and calling them our worst signing, it's just ridiculous. I wasn't exactly thrilled by his signing and it screams of panic buy again. But he's played 275 minutes FFS and actually looked out best player in two of the three games he started.

I don't think he's got the assets to ever do a great deal and I think it'll end up being a waste of money. But can't we just get behind people rather than constantly slating them. It's self defeating.

The number of people eating humble pie now over Chilwell, and still the we get the absolutist criticisms; not only is someone unremittingly 'dogsh*t', but they cannot possibly be anything other than 'dogsh*t', ever. Given the what's happened at the club (at all levels) in the last few years this is patently absurd. It would be interesting to see a separate thread for all the 'final judgements' that have come an embarrassing cropper - the 21st century equivalent of heads on pikes. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mucfox said:

Ghezzal was a bad purchase of our scouts.

LCFC has to buy HAKIM ZIYECH from Ajax Amsterdam - the real copy of Riyad Mahrez

Enjoy his skills and his incredible left foot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzubkgsIXUE

We can dream. A lot of clubs will be interested in quite a few of their players. Young and very talented.

5 hours ago, mucfox said:

Ghezzal was a bad purchase of our scouts.

LCFC has to buy HAKIM ZIYECH from Ajax Amsterdam - the real copy of Riyad Mahrez

Enjoy his skills and his incredible left foot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzubkgsIXUE

No chance in hell.

He's tearing up the Eredivisie and if he moves it will be for a much bigger club.

2 hours ago, sphericalfox said:

I think he was a stop-gap signing. I'd like to hope that we were chasing someone in the summer, and they weren't available or weren't keen to join us at that point. I see us making a couple of upgrade signings. 

I'm not sure how Harvey Barnes' fits into the equation long term, but as he's likely to stay at West Brom til the end of the season. So maybe we've put a pin that position for the minute?

Ghezzal needs time to acclimatise and remain calm. He looks nervous at times and tries to overcomplicate things, cutting in and trying to take on more than he can handle, when taking it to the byline and crossing it would be a better option.

Saying all that there were rumours that Victor Moses was unhappy with lack of game time at Chelsea. Not sure he'd ever come to us or if we've got someone significant we're working on. But him and Ricardo? Yes please.

When ‘stop gap’ signings cost £12m you know the worlds gone mad 

:nigel:

1 hour ago, That_Dude said:

No chance in hell.

He's tearing up the Eredivisie and if he moves it will be for a much bigger club.

Disagree with this.  I don't think he is quite good enough for one the PL giants, I'm sure we could have got him.  He or Promes would have fit the fit the bill in the summer but we wasted 12m instead.

@volpeazzurro put it best earlier:  "Buy cheap, buy twice".

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Was Ghezzal 12 million quid!

As you rightly say mate, insanity reigns.

You’d have thought we’d have learnt our lesson after Musa and Slimani

Edited by Col city fan

I didn't think he was a great signing at the time and I don't think he will ever really 'come good'. Seems to be nothing more than a mediocre squad player at best, and at the price he came at, I would rather we gave the place to one of the more promising U23 players. 

Comparing him to Chilwell isn't accurate. Chillers came into the first team as a teenager with the potential to improve, and the luxury of time to do so. Ghezzal is an attacking winger, who at 26, should be hitting his prime. If we don't see any substantial improvements in his play over the next year or so, then do we really think he will all of a sudden rip the league apart at 29/30? He's never been good enough for any of the decent sides in Ligue 1 (which is an uncompetitive league to begin with) and I would be very surprised if he ever ends up a first team regular here by choice as opposed to injury. Even if he was to make himself of use, I doubt that he would be getting into double figures for assists/goals which is the kind of player we should be looking for. 

The problem with signing players who we know won't be likely to improve the team isn't just that they aren't very good, it's that they become impossible to shift afterwards. If he doesn't produce anything this season then it will be hard to get rid of him, and then that may prevent us from bringing others in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Eh, it's relative to the time. Looking at inflation he's only marginally more than Akinbiyi was, and the amount of money in the game has absolutely ballooned since. Unless you're freakishly lucky with scouting you're not finding a prem player for sub 10m - that's the sort of price a championship striker like Britt Assombalonga or Ross McCormack go for

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Can we not just give people a chance before abusing them and calling them our worst signing, it's just ridiculous. I wasn't exactly thrilled by his signing and it screams of panic buy again. But he's played 275 minutes FFS and actually looked out best player in two of the three games he started.

I don't think he's got the assets to ever do a great deal and I think it'll end up being a waste of money. But can't we just get behind people rather than constantly slating them. It's self defeating.

Can you imagine a jury made up of FT posters?

Defendant: I swear to tell the truth, the whole tr....

Foreman: We unanimously find the defendant guilty.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh, it's relative to the time. Looking at inflation he's only marginally more than Akinbiyi was, and the amount of money in the game has absolutely ballooned since. Unless you're freakishly lucky with scouting you're not finding a prem player for sub 10m - that's the sort of price a championship striker like Britt Assombalonga or Ross McCormack go for

Yes it has ballooned - it's gone mad.

Akinbyi was bought in as our main striker though, not a 'stop gap' player as Ghezzal was referred as.

Fair enough paying big money for guaranteed starters who are going to contribute, but when you're paying £12m for quad player it's all gone a bit nuts.

But that's the current market we're in and it is what it is I suppose...

17 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

What £12m buys is not really the point though.  It is £12m burned really.  Much better to invest £12m toward a quality player rather than buying mediocrity.

We already have a top heavy squad, we lost our best player, we should be going for quality not quantity or squad fillers.

21 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yes it has ballooned - it's gone mad.

Akinbyi was bought in as our main striker though, not a 'stop gap' player as Ghezzal was referred as.

Fair enough paying big money for guaranteed starters who are going to contribute, but when you're paying £12m for quad player it's all gone a bit nuts.

But that's the current market we're in and it is what it is I suppose...

Don't forget Ward ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

What £12m buys is not really the point though.  It is £12m burned really.  Much better to invest £12m toward a quality player rather than buying mediocrity.

We already have a top heavy squad, we lost our best player, we should be going for quality not quantity or squad fillers.

But that's the point - we couldn't get quality. The names linked: Hazard, Zyiech wouldn't come. So, rather than having Albrighton, Gray and arguably Diabate as senior wingers we added Ghezzal - never in the same league as Mahrez but in theory a reasonable midtable squad player rather than being light up top (how you can say we're top heavy with one attacking midfielder, 3 senior strikers and 3 senior wingers is beyond me - Grays injured and we've resorted to a full back at right wing)

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

But that's the point - we couldn't get quality. The names linked: Hazard, Zyiech wouldn't come. So, rather than having Albrighton, Gray and arguably Diabate as senior wingers we added Ghezzal - never in the same league as Mahrez but in theory a reasonable midtable squad player rather than being light up top (how you can say we're top heavy with one attacking midfielder, 3 senior strikers and 3 senior wingers is beyond me - Grays injured and we've resorted to a full back at right wing)

Who says we couldn't get quality?  Unless you know something I don't?  There were no bids reported, only linked on FT as far as I can tell.  If West Ham could get Andersen, if Stoke landed Shaqiri from Inter, Fulham sign Seri and Wolves sign Neves, I'm pretty sure we could get Ziyech if we our stall out.  He is reportedly on 50k per week.  Do you really think he wouldn't come to the PL for say 75k?

As for the squad, one of the priorities for the summer was to trim it down and we lost of two strikers and two wingers.  In terms of numbers we still have too many.  If we couldn't get top quality, I would have preferred to have gone with what we have and kept the money toward bringing in top quality when we could.

As for Ricardo, the reason that he is pressed in to service as a winger rather than FB supports my argument rather than yours.  Ghezzal clearly isn't good enough.

Edited by murphy

Is your rent too high? Is your life not going as planned? Do you want to have some quality time and vent your frustration? Are you looking to be a part of a lynching mob? 

??COME ON DOWN To "lynch now, talk later" emporium And get your pitchfork ??

We GOT 'EM ALL!

Traditional Left Handed Fancy
---E Ǝ--- ---{

I EVEN HAVE DISCOUNTED CLEARANCE FORKS!

33% off! 66% off! Manufacturer's Defect!
---F ---L ---e

NEW IN STOCK. DIRECTLY FROM

LIECHTENSTEIN.EUROPEAN MODELS!

The Euro The Pound The Lira
---€ ---£ ---₤

HAPPY LYNCHING!

* some assembly required

Edited by the fox

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

Is your rent too high? Is your life not going as planned? Do you won't to have some quality time and vent your frustration? Are you looking to be a part of a lynching mob? 

??COME ON DOWN To "lynch now, talk later" emporium And get your pitchfork ??

We GOT 'EM ALL!

Traditional Left Handed Fancy
---E Ǝ--- ---{

I EVEN HAVE DISCOUNTED CLEARANCE FORKS!

33% off! 66% off! Manufacturer's Defect!
---F ---L ---e

NEW IN STOCK. DIRECTLY FROM

LIECHTENSTEIN.EUROPEAN MODELS!

The Euro The Pound The Lira
---€ ---£ ---₤

HAPPY LYNCHING!

* some assembly required

(want)

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

(want)

hello dear costumer! We also have brand-new pitchforks for grammar nazis just like yourself! 

---

Help yourself and happy lynching! 

Edited by the fox