Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

39 minutes ago, vanity said:

Do you seriously think Puel is telling the team to be timid and indifferent in possession to start games? We were a very young side today, with all the scoring burden put on players like Chilwell, Gray, Iheanacho, and Maddison, players who haven't done it at this level. Even Pereira has never faced the physicality of the Prem, They are nervy, they lack confidence at times, I can't see how this is "Puelball Bollocks" at all, he wants us to have possession and to attack the entirety of the game.

Puel asks the players to get on the ball from the get go. Plain as day. Most sensible sides turn the opposition first 10 minutes then settle into the game.  We'll come a cropper before long unless he changes this. Liverpool are probably the best starters in the league. Hopefully won't be the day we get punished for it.

1 minute ago, bfox said:

I understand where you are coming from but I do not agree entirely. A lot of them are highly praised youngsters and so shouldn't really be lacking confidence, mistakes will happen but there shouldn't be any fear of the opposition at any stage of the game. Chilwell has been around the PL for a while, Gray Also. I wasn't pointing fingers at those players regardless. This lame opening start to games lies as a collective, including Ndidi and the rest of the lot.

The why of it is baffling, but I do know the players keep mentioning nerves and confidence in interviews, and I have to think part of that is learning to manufacture goals on their own instead of relying on Vardy and Mahrez. I guess their thinking is that this it is a diff sort of pressure than they are used to, and it is making them more tentative instead of instinctive until a goal goes in either way. 

• Like 1

Just now, l444ry said:

Puel asks the players to get on the ball from the get go. Plain as day. Most sensible sides turn the opposition first 10 minutes then settle into the game.  We'll come a cropper before long unless he changes this. Liverpool are probably the best starters in the league. Hopefully won't be the day we get punished for it.

We tend to show up for the top-6 whistle-to-whistle, I expect a performance similar to Man U, though Iheanacho will prob be out for Albrighton on the wing for his defense.

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

We are still a work in progress, cannot be too critical at this stage it’s important to win games even when we are playing not to our best level.

Spot on but some are worried that we're scraping along on the seat of our pants rather than a work in progress. 

2 minutes ago, vanity said:

We tend to show up for the top-6 whistle-to-whistle, I expect a performance similar to Man U, though Iheanacho will prob be out for Albrighton on the wing for his defense.

Man Utd scored in the third minute.

2 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Spot on but some are worried that we're scraping along on the seat of our pants rather than a work in progress. 

The likes of Morgan, Amartey will be phased out back to squad players soon, when the new guys bed in, I like what I have seen, it’s different from counter attacking football, yeah we could do with another striker and an upgraded winger but our team is good enough when we are on it to Finish Top 7 imo.

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

The likes of Morgan, Amartey will be phased out back to squad players soon, when the new guys bed in, I like what I have seen, it’s different from counter attacking football, yeah we could do with another striker and an upgraded winger but our team is good enough when we are on it to Finish Top 7 imo.

Shame we can't return to the good old days when we could chuck Walshy or Matty up top.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Poor at times but cracking away win.

Our passing has to be better though, the division is so bad we should finish top ten again.

Certainly won't be able to keep turning the ball over to L'pool - the pace of their counter attacking will slaughter us 

Guest Col city fan

The sign of a decent side is when you play poorly, but still win.

Anyone moaning about the start we’ve had to the season can fook off and support Cov scum

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Good performance at United, good performance from 25 onwards against Wolves and a dirty away win here. It’s a great start to the season. Dunno why folk are so downbeat about performances.

Amartey at RB needs to stop though.

Bringing in who exactly?