Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

9 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Spot on but some are worried that we're scraping along on the seat of our pants rather than a work in progress. 

Strange that many can't see what's happening. We're putting in measured performances until we get our chance and then going for it.

Instead of going in gung ho from the whistle we're teasing out the game staying tight and compact. It's understandable were going to be under some pressure especially away from home. Then 2nd half were getting more adventurous and going for it when opportunities allow.

The Team are gaining points while growing in confidence, with the new additions still to add pace and strength to the defense.

Puel is doing a great job, I just don't understand what some expect.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't know why I'm arguing on behalf of Norwich but Daniel Lambert doesn't count.  He was just famous for being fat.  I could do that!  

And John Merrick was famous for being ugly.  I could do that too!

lol 

Well in that case Norwich can't have Delia smith, she just makes people fat. 

Great result

it will be interesting how we line up against Liverpool. They are a force going forward, so will Puel play defensive or will he after two wins with a decent (not great) defense have a go.

May well tell us what sort of manager he is

27 minutes ago, Shambles said:

Absolutely agree. For someone who’s natural position is on the wing, I thought he found the pocket of space in between the midfield and defence really well. You could see clearly that he knows how to weight a pass well and that was evident when he played it deftly into Demarai who tried a neat glance which resulted in the Southampton defender nearly scoring an own goal. I was really impressed with him and his ability to be creative from the middle of the park. I can see Puel using him in this position more and more as the season progresses and it’ll provide some competition for Maddison too!

Given a few more weeks and we'll potentially see more of him. He made a few decent crosses so can see him being utilised on the right and being able to cut in

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We look like a side that's 1 or 2 tweaks away from being genuinely good.

That’s how I feel too though I’d also argue we are one or two bad tweaks away from being crap. So fine lines and all that. 

With so many young players it’s more likely we improve than regress though, if you think about the season as a whole. 

7 minutes ago, hairy said:

Great result

it will be interesting how we line up against Liverpool. They are a force going forward, so will Puel play defensive or will he after two wins with a decent (not great) defense have a go.

May well tell us what sort of manager he is

He’ll  Shut up shop faster than a Florida shop owner in a hurricane. Then realise he put the boards on with chewing gum. 

Not expecting much from the Liverpool game. 

Great result today, even though we played poorly from the snippets I saw. 

Edited by ARM1968

49 minutes ago, Guest said:

Play well at Man Utd and lose - who cares, only the result matters

Play shit at Southampton and win - unacceptable performance

This sums this forum up in two sentences 

After the Man United game I felt flat as a witches tit. We had 60% possession and he better chances but did it matter? Did it ****, we lost

We win today, away from home and people moan! 3 points is 3 points 

I look forward to MOTD tonight 

• Like 3

Lighten up, Lads and Lasses.  3 games in and 1pt behind Mahrezchester City and 4pts ahead of Wolvesalona.  Enjoy your Saturday evening!

#Puel&Rudkinpowerin.  And WHAM doing an Eurovision -  nil points.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Strange that many can't see what's happening. We're putting in measured performances until we get our chance and then going for it.

Instead of going in gung ho from the whistle we're teasing out the game staying tight and compact. It's understandable were going to be under some pressure especially away from home. Then 2nd half were getting more adventurous and going for it when opportunities allow.

The Team are gaining points while growing in confidence, with the new additions still to add pace and strength to the defense.

Puel is doing a great job, I just don't understand what some expect.  

I count myself among the 'pro-Puel' camp as well, but he does seem to make some decisions that invite questioning - I'm not sure why Amartey-Pereira is considered a better option than Pereira-Albrighton, particularly as Amartey hasn't really looked all that reliable since he came into the team - I'm not a massive Simpson fan, but I'd rather have him over Amartey at this stage. Similar sort of thing with the Gray/Ihenacho substitution, only to bring Gray off in place of Okazaki about ten minutes later. I get that not everything he does is going to turn to gold, but considering the (not entirely fair IMO) microscope on him at the moment, things like that will stick in the mind - had Maguire not tucked one in the bottom corner from 20-odd yards after picking the ball up on the left wing(!), I think a lot of people would be pointing at that result as 2 points missed.

I do feel that a lot of the fuss over the style of play is overly harsh though - we were treated to some pretty damn exciting football over the last 2-3 seasons, and we're now playing a much more measured style - that's going to take some adjusting to, both for the players and the fans. We've ridden our luck so far, but we've gotten results - we gave Man U a proper game, we beat a Wolves side that's going to turn over some much better sides than us this season, and we've gutted out a shithousey 2-1 win against a fairly gritty Southampton side - things will only get better as the team gels and gets used to Puel's style.

And for all that, I'd rather win 1-0 every week than lose 4-3.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Another win and Puel is being criticised again. Just proves some will never have him.

Third match of the season, not taking into context the world cup, a very short pre-season in normal terms, an influx of in/outgoings. Why can't people have the patience to let at least a month pass without being overly dramatic and re-declaring their Puel-out stance?

It's genuinely baffling, like some sort of psychological impulse, and/or need to be proven right as they put their flag on their mast before he even started to manage his first game.

I am just glad the owners have more sense to let the development necessary of the squad occur, and let this feed into their long term strategy. We're not going to win them all, and there are going to tactical decisions that won't work, and will baffle us, and we'll never know the reasons for them.

Edited by sphericalfox
  • Like 3