Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

1 minute ago, TeePee said:

Interesting you mention expectations set by the owners, because as per the matchday programme vs Wolves:

So, he's basically doing exactly what the owners want him to do, and winning games to boot.

Winnig by luck is not sustainable.  How does bullshit performances make us improve, how does poor tactics, I can't see the owners stating we are willing to accept shit.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Pleased as I am with our start, why do people STILL feel this inexplicable need to stick up for Daniel Amartey?

He’s been here now for three years and I swear I haven’t seen him improve. He’s 24, so not ‘a kid’ in footballing terms and looks like he’s going to do a poo in his pants every time he has the ball.

We can surely do better? Surely?

Stop with this ‘we need to give so and so a chance’... he’s had his chance and is lacking.

7 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Winnig by luck is not sustainable.  How does bullshit performances make us improve, how does poor tactics, I can't see the owners stating we are willing to accept shit.

Mate, with all due respect, it looks like you're basically ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative of 'Puel = bad'. You mentioned that Puel should be judged on the transfer window he had to meet the board's expectations. I've shown you the expectations they've publicly stated, which support the point CropwellFox was making - we're bringing through a team of very talented youngsters who aren't always going to have a great game every week. You've basically ignored that and started claiming that we're only winning through luck and that our tactics are poor - that's nothing to do with the point he was making?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Pleased as I am with our start, why do people STILL feel this inexplicable need to stick up for Daniel Amartey?

He’s been here now for three years and I swear I haven’t seen him improve. He’s 24, so not ‘a kid’ in footballing terms and looks like he’s going to do a poo in his pants every time he has the ball.

Stop with this ‘we need to give so and so a chance’... he’s had his chance and is lacking.

Amartey wasn't that bad today Col. Lack of an attacking threat would be a far greater worry I'd have thought.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

From Whoscored.com:

Daniel Amartey

Passes: 51

Passing Accuracy: 86%

Interceptions: 2

Clearances: 8

Aerials Won: 2

Shots: 1

Whoscored rating: 7.1

Behind only Harry Maguire (8.3) and Kasper Schmeichel (7.3).

I do agree that we could do better, and he will almost certainly be behind Soyuncu & Benkovic very soon when they're available, but he does put a shift in and deserves credit for when he does well.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

From Whoscored.com:

Daniel Amartey

Passes: 51

Passing Accuracy: 86%

Interceptions: 2

Clearances: 8

Aerials Won: 2

Shots: 1

Whoscored rating: 7.1

Behind only Harry Maguire (8.3) and Kasper Schmeichel (7.3).

I do agree that we could do better, and he will almost certainly be behind Soyuncu & Benkovic very soon when they're available, but he does put a shift in and deserves credit for when he does well.

Why aren’t they available now?

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He's not been great in either of his starts this season. To be honest I am kind of mystified by it too because we signed Ricardo supposedly to be our RB, and signed Ghezzal as a potential right wing option, but instead had Albrighton and Ghezzal benched and put Ricardo on the wing instead. I imagine that Puel's thinking was that we looked poor defensively in the first 20 against Wolves and he wants to eliminate those bad starts. So he started Morgan (who was decent I feel) ahead of Evans and brought Amartey back in as he and Ricardo have had some time to form some soft of relationship. To be fair, we didn't concede in the first half so it kind of worked. However, Amartey just couldn't handle Redmond even when Ricardo dropped back to help him out, in fact I think a mistake by Southampton was not exploiting that more often because Amartey was chasing shadows in that duel. So it doesn't seem like the answer to me and I hope that as games go by Ricardo will move to Right Back and one of Ghezzal or Albrighton plays in front of him. I don't think that game will be the Liverpool one though because that will be a very tough game. In fact I expect us to play how we ended the Wolves game (albeit with one more player) in that one so that we can have one directly up against each of Mane, Salah and Firminho.

Puel is the type of coach to believe in young players and give them a chance so I don't mind him getting a few more games, but he does need to show something in his game. Chilwell last season also frustrated many, but started this season on fire. The difference is that Chilly did look like he had something to offer from the offensive part of his game, whereas Amartey neither looks good going forward or going back. Simpson might have been awful on the front foot, but defensively he was always pretty steady, until he was asked to get forward more. Right now if you were Danny Simpson you'd be wondering what exactly you did wrong.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Amartey will not play centre-back in the near future, just as much as Söyüncü and Benkovic won't play right-back any time soon.

I agree with the rest of it, though - Amartey got an awful lot of stick for one mistake in the first game of the season. Others have mentioned it before - he'll get better as the season progresses. After all, he's still only 24 and hasn't played right-back regularly for us at all.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think (off the top of my head) that Benkovic is to stay in the development squad for now, and Soyuncu picked up an injury before his work permit came in. Hopefull we'll see him soon though, probably in the cup.

Surely Benkovic is good enough for our main squad. He was playing Champions League.  I think he had an injury too.

36 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

We kept going till the end today and got the goal we was dog shit first half but Kasper and the defense done well to keep it at 0-0, second half we was the better team. I wouldn't call it luck.

we've done the job, got and got the points, we was 10 down at Wolves and they couldn't get any points either even with the extra man I wouldn't call that luck either.

We have played well in patches the team still needs tweaking though and we are only 3 games plenty to be optimistic about

Amartey was fine. You could tell Southampton was focusing their attacks in his vicinity to get away from Maguire and also try and pin back Ricardo - he held his own as the stats show, and importantly didn't concede a foul when Hjoberg was sent off, and those who want to pin the goal on him should realize that Bertrand playing left back is not going to be the RB's responsibility - it was Ricardo caught watching again. 

• Like 1

Some of you need to go back to being 14, put some KY on your knob, toss on a sock and have a good solid 30 second wank with a playboy magazine. Let it out, relax and live a little. 

Some questionable subs (yes no doubt) but the end of the day we won the bloody game.  Every game requires "luck" to win and we pulled it out from our arses. 3 points thank you very much.

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Omelette du fromage

"Trois points"

2 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

This sums this forum up in two sentences 

After the Man United game I felt flat as a witches tit. We had 60% possession and he better chances but did it matter? Did it ****, we lost

I did state above some on this forum need to have a wank but heck, playing with a witches tit whatever works. Definitely not my cup of tea lol

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

It was a good away victory. We were the better team in the second half & deserved the 3 points.

Not read through the thread yet so no idea if this is the consensus.

First half I thought we looked poor and it was more of the same from the back end of last season.

Second half, even before they scored, was a different kettle of fish and I thought we bossed it for the most part. Mendy and Ndidi hoovered up everything.

Main positives today, aside from the late winner, were the performances of Chilwell and Maguire. Maguire has always looked accomplished for us but rarely has he looked quite this dominant, frequently in the right place at the right time in the first half and then playing a key role in starting attacks in the second. Chilwell was also absolutely excellent and looks a totally different player from last season. He’s improved markedly over the summer at both the defensive and attacking components of his game.

Tactically I thought Puel did a good job in the second half. Amartey was clearly told to get out to Redmond quicker and this stopped the supply down Southampton’s left where Redmond was taking the mickey in the first half. The decision to take off Iheanacho almost sent the woman behind me into spontaneous combustion but it was helped us gain further control of midfield at little expense to our attacking threat.

Gray and Maddison were both extremely poor in the first half and ok in the second. It’s very frustrating to watch and then you remember that they’re both young players. It happens. And that’s going to be a recurring theme this season. We lined up today with Amartey, Chilwell, Ndidi, Gray, Maddison and Iheanacho all of whom must be 22 or under. It’s ridiculously young side.