Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

58 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Pleased as I am with our start, why do people STILL feel this inexplicable need to stick up for Daniel Amartey?

He’s been here now for three years and I swear I haven’t seen him improve. He’s 24, so not ‘a kid’ in footballing terms and looks like he’s going to do a poo in his pants every time he has the ball.

We can surely do better? Surely?

Stop with this ‘we need to give so and so a chance’... he’s had his chance and is lacking.

100% this.  When the team sheet gets released and I see Amartey on it...my heart sinks.  They clearly targeted him as a weakness with any of their meaningful attacks coming down our right hand side.  He's poor on the ball, he's clumsy, he hasn't got a footballing brain and he offers nothing going forward.  This should have been addressed in the summer and it hasn't!

Also, the lack of pressing in the last 10 minutes (when they were down to 10 men) was bafflingly non-existent.  Okazaki on for Gray was again...baffling.  Yes, we won 2-1 but we are papering over the cracks!!  We've been fortunate in two games.

Edited by pazzerfox
  • Like 1

I don't want to moan about Puel after a win. I'm delighted with 6 points from the first three, but I've not seen a great deal yet to appease the concerns I had with him at the end of last season.

Anyway, that's probably all for another day. We won. Enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Pleased as I am with our start, why do people STILL feel this inexplicable need to stick up for Daniel Amartey?

He’s been here now for three years and I swear I haven’t seen him improve. He’s 24, so not ‘a kid’ in footballing terms and looks like he’s going to do a poo in his pants every time he has the ball.

We can surely do better? Surely?

Stop with this ‘we need to give so and so a chance’... he’s had his chance and is lacking.

Got to agree with this. As much as I want him to come good, he is simply not cutting out the basic errors. So much so, that errors are now becoming habits. The amount of times he’s fallen asleep and let someone in behind happens far too often. That’s whether he plays RB or CM. Maybe he is a confidence player but can we really afford to keep giving away chances and goals while he takes his time to find that confidence. 

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

I don't want to moan about Puel after a win. I'm delighted with 6 points from the first three, but I've not seen a great deal yet to appease the concerns I had with him at the end of last season.

Ditto

Take the 3 points, not a good performance but still positives. Big move last week to drop Morgan and even bigger move to bring him back this week and he did OK not that many will admit that. Lets not kid ourselves we were anywhere near the level we hope to be at but it is so early In the season and careers at Leicester for some of the players. Don't let Hughes kid you that Soton were good and were robbed they are a Mark Hughes team and deserved to lose just by the red card and Hughes having a pop at the ref for sending the guy off. Moss is a poor ref but that was the correct decision 100% and when Don Goodman calls it shameful you know it is poor. A good performance and result like last season does not make us the finished article but winning ugly shows we can grind out wins playing poorly. Also having that sulky mardy arse Hughes convincing himself that they were robbed makes it all the sweeter

31 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Surely Benkovic is good enough for our main squad. He was playing Champions League.  I think he had an injury too.

He looked fairly dodgy in the two U23 games he's played, but I think he's also coming back from injury. Definitely not ready for a first team game.

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

If you think our performances are acceptable, then great, the expectations were set to improve on last season, I only see us failing on that.

Played well at Old Trafford. Started shite against Wolves but played well after the goal. Played well second half today. 

Need to cut out the slow starts. Apart from that there’s a lot to be positive about.

• Like 1

Glad we won but we can not ignore how poor we were for large periods of the game. Either it be the final ball, simple passes going horribly wrong or decision making we were poor all over the park.

Chilly was MOTM for me only person who shown a calmness and composure on the ball today

I really don't see what Mendy brings to this team, i think he was very bad today, passing was bad and receiving the ball he was caught on his toes so a good pass gets intercepted because he was just too slow of thought.

We lacked a lot today and it wasn't solely down to Vardy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

Played well at Old Trafford. Started shite against Wolves but played well after the goal. Played well second half today. 

Need to cut out the slow starts. Apart from that there’s a lot to be positive about.

Tactical changes at neves injury break changed the wolves game

tactical changes at half time today changed the game

concern is that puel cannot get the message across whilst the game is progressing although for some reason, teams generally don’t like making big tactical changes outside a long break in play. 

15 minutes ago, brucey said:

He looked fairly dodgy in the two U23 games he's played, but I think he's also coming back from injury. Definitely not ready for a first team game.

don’t tell me he’s our new Kaputska who will never play a proper game for us.  

16 minutes ago, brucey said:

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

agreed should start next game, play Ricardo in place of Amartey… i'd also like to see Mendy and Iborra together 

I would like Puel,to bench Ndidi,he's not yet this season produced the goods...try another approach..

while the moaners are concentrating on Amartey,or another player...none of them are picking up on our cms midfieldcms

memory looked bood,but didn't create any openings,Maddison is lacking IMO an experienced old hand besides him.it could

mean sacrificing Ndidi,or Mendys new found position. The fact is we only have Silva and Iborra,so we must get at least one

Into the side,expecting to give him a long run,or share the responsibilities,..At present with lacklustre form from Ndidi,maybe

a different approach,would be worth it....Iborra has the defensive midfielder, helping with Mendy,as support for Maddison.

At present..nobody shouting the odds and directing,and delegating onfield...Morgan ain't the type,and Wrong position.

We need a mouthy midfielder..

I've been at the game today and I find the criticism of both amartey and Morgan truly ridiculous and quite frankly boring. Now I haven't read much of this thread but get the feeling both are getting some stick, particularly amartey. For the record, I was surprised he started and possibly a tad disappointed just because I wanted to see Ricardo playing there but to be fair, amartey did well. Apart from one nearly fatal pass back, he was good. He wasn't helped much by Ricardo particularly first half but still did OK. I'd like to see him be more adventurous when he's gone forward but that's being picky. 

Special mention to Morgan who was excellent today as was mendy and Chilwell, all players that seem to get unnecessary stick. 

Gray and maddison poor today but they'll be OK this season 

• Like 1

Can only echo the sentiments about Chilwell, he looks so much more composed on the ball and defensively he just seems so much more switched on. His cross to Kelechi in the first half was spot on, if he can start delivering that kind of end ball with any remote kind of consistency I'll be chuffed. Wasn't one of Southgate's staffers at the game today? Best English footballer on the pitch, he'll have Young's LWB spot for England by the time the season's out if he keeps it up.

There were one or two occasions it was very apparent we have a bit of an inexperienced bunch here, just the odd bit of decision making that needs fine tuning, but that'll come on with game time. Mendy kept things ticking over nicely, he and Wilf just need to start getting the ball wide or forward to Maddison quicker.

Didn't rate Southampton, they had a lot of the ball but bar Ings' effort I can't recall them seriously testing Kasper. They'll stay up though.

Oh, and Moss was pretty much bang on in everything he gave this afternoon. In fact, the only non-debatable error I can think of was Wilf's foul on someone just outside our area early on, bit of a stamp.

34 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I see where you're coming from. I so desperately want it to work under him, but I can't pretend like there aren't things that trouble me somewhat. At the moment it's all about points and we've just gone away from home and without our best forward so I won't focus too much about the performances. If we're still playing like this regularly in a month or two then I will be concerned. 

Edited by BenTheFox

Just now, leicesterseddon said:

Went today. Strange to slag them off after a win but honestly we were dreadful. 

However I would just like to stick up for Amartey - yes he wasn’t great, but he wasn’t that bad either. 

Much more disappointed in Gray, Mendy, Iheanacho who were all very poor. 

I was there today. Mendy was good, made numerous blocks and tackles, covered lots of ground and kept it simple in possession. He won't pull trees up but that's his role. 

Iheanacho wasn't poor either, we offered next to no service to him in the first half. He came into the game more second half and was actually taken off at a time where he was playing OK. He'll get better