Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

35 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

I’d start Okazaki at Liverpool. Kalechi just isn’t cutting the mustard. 

I mean, I clearly love the guy, but - 

Ahh, nevermind. Start him, he’s due a scorcher.

Edited by UPinCarolina

Here’s where I am, I am a fan of puel’s more technical, possession based football, as the freak kick and rush league winning season, teams soon sussed us out, basically just sit deep, not saying there wasn’t skill when we won the league, but that was our game plan.

Here’s where I’m struggling, we seem to pass the ball for the sake of passing, with no real attacking intent, it seems more about keeping it, than doing anything with it.

Im not on a downer with puel, but he needs to not be so negative, play the passing game with intensity, and stop trying to please everybody. We need a regular team, to allow understanding and build form and momentum.

It’s early days, new systems take time for players to understand their roles, but this negative football is wearing a bit thin.

So this is where I’m struggling, I’m bored shitless most of last season, and think we are lucky to have six points on the board, and wolves and today I wouldn’t say was great to watch, but I can see what could be achieved in time, if he’s braver, I think I’m going to have to be patient, and put up with the boredom for now, and see where it goes.

Will probably get slated because we have 6 points, but trying to give a fair and honest assessment as I see it.

We have recruited well, when fit, let’s get them in, get rid of the old guard, and let’s give the youngsters the season to gel and progress.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I mean, I clearly love the guy, but - 

Ahh, nevermind. Start him, he’s due a scorcher.

Agree, Okazaki has been here long enough to know he cannot be relied on to be you main striker, and get you goals, what’s his average a season, including the title win, half a dozen a season, sub just yes, would never start him as a lone striker

• Like 1

Very happy with the win. Let's face it though Southampton are shite.

We didn't really threaten in first half but do look dangerous with the ball but a bit toothless. 

Poor defending for their goal.

Goals were a bit fortunate but who cares. I do wish we would test the keeper more tho. Seem to have a lot of the ball but don't do enough with it

7 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Agree, Okazaki has been here long enough to know he cannot be relied on to be you main striker, and get you goals, what’s his average a season, including the title win, half a dozen a season, sub just yes, would never start him as a lone striker

Would still enjoy him having a couple of games as the main man up top

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Mate, with all due respect, it looks like you're basically ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative of 'Puel = bad'. You mentioned that Puel should be judged on the transfer window he had to meet the board's expectations. I've shown you the expectations they've publicly stated, which support the point CropwellFox was making - we're bringing through a team of very talented youngsters who aren't always going to have a great game every week. You've basically ignored that and started claiming that we're only winning through luck and that our tactics are poor - that's nothing to do with the point he was making?

Mate I'm not Puel out or in, but your right in principle

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lanefox said:

Winning the premier league has ruined this fanbase nothing will ever be good enough.

we just won away from home , give puel time it will get better

The solid, loyal fanbase isn‘t the issue here.

It‘s the roughly 6 million followers we have „gained“ since then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Here’s where I am, I am a fan of puel’s more technical, possession based football, as the freak kick and rush league winning season, teams soon sussed us out, basically just sit deep, not saying there wasn’t skill when we won the league, but that was our game plan.

Here’s where I’m struggling, we seem to pass the ball for the sake of passing, with no real attacking intent, it seems more about keeping it, than doing anything with it.

Im not on a downer with puel, but he needs to not be so negative, play the passing game with intensity, and stop trying to please everybody. We need a regular team, to allow understanding and build form and momentum.

It’s early days, new systems take time for players to understand their roles, but this negative football is wearing a bit thin.

So this is where I’m struggling, I’m bored shitless most of last season, and think we are lucky to have six points on the board, and wolves and today I wouldn’t say was great to watch, but I can see what could be achieved in time, if he’s braver, I think I’m going to have to be patient, and put up with the boredom for now, and see where it goes.

Will probably get slated because we have 6 points, but trying to give a fair and honest assessment as I see it.

We have recruited well, when fit, let’s get them in, get rid of the old guard, and let’s give the youngsters the season to gel and progress.

I see where your coming from..I believe too many of our team,are not showing enough intent,when moving forward and looking to offload the ball.

Presently,in fact since March last season,I am leaning to the players who on game day over the whitewash,that due to lack of intent,are failing

to deliver Puels tactics,on a consistent basis.

We are far too slow moving the ball,when Ndidi and Mendy or Silva  have been on the ball.

Nacho has improved,but like Vardy,he's missing a decent service,and needs to be more robust,and put himself around a bit,he's too nice

when going for the ball.

I don't think Wes,is bad,he's played ok,it's just now we need a more confident CB on the ball,and like Harry,can move the ball forward quicker,and occasionally

Hold an higher line comfortably.

Another possibility,if Puel insists holding  to Amartey...change Him and Peggy around,and occasionally Peggy driving from defense.

Patience isn't the teams problem,they are lacking intensity all round , then commitment to the drive forward and to winning a tackle

before the area needs to get involved. And times 10, Ndidi ,is becoming a fumbler he has to learn to pass ...from the back and when in a forward position.

But I said,I won't yet,shout out the odds,Puel and some players have 6-10 games,before I get ratty,instead of frustrated.

Rebuild yes,but occasionally put in a few quality team performances....PL and it's teams are there to entertain...

Today's 1st half was terrible,not in defence but midfield and out from the back,Nacho couldn't be criticised,he had nothing decent.

It's the negative football ,like you said that's wearing thin and the fans down...Again I still push any blame towards 5-8 players.

And not because...they cant,but because they can.

Something really really positive,we look pretty good now when defending corners,I don't despair of shiver,like before..!!

• Like 1

We may or may not of been lucky against Southampton but we were the only team to win 3 points away from home out of the 6 games that were played, that includes Man City, Everton and West Ham. 

We are above Everton Arsenal Manchester United albeit only 3 games played and we now only need 30 more points to stay up  

i would rather be where we are then where West Ham are  

Maddison  Perreira Gray Harry, Chillwell Kasper Mendy all looking good  

Puel is doing something here that given the time will lead us to success and we will win something maybe and probably not the league but at least a cup.

he needs another couple of transfer windows to get the squad he wants and hope we give him the time to get there.

Edited by Lesterlad
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The solid, loyal fanbase isn‘t the issue here.

It‘s the roughly 6 million followers we have „gained“ since then.

Don't exaggarate....it's only 50-80 ...

Plus 5-20,from the loyal fan base who have jumped ship,and digressed shamefully,from the given acceptance that  frustration is a proud part

Of being a foxes fan,with @Kitchandro fighting for power and recognition to lead a splinter group..:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, lanefox said:

Winning the premier league has ruined this fanbase nothing will ever be good enough.

we just won away from home , give puel time it will get better

Without our most prolific forward whom we've based the team around for so long too. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement, but at this stage of the season points are all that matters. 

• Like 1

Just got back after a horrendous journey home haven't read the thread so here goes.  Great to win away from home especially after going one down.  First half we were poor but in all honesty so were Southampton two shots on target Shmeichel making good saves.

Both Maddison and Gray were poor today even though Gray scored it is about the only thing good he did.  Maddison needs to be a bit stronger and stop falling over for no reason this is the premier league not the championship.

Second half I thought overall we were the better team and deserved the win.  I thought Mendy, Morgan, Maguire, Chilwell and even Amartey played well.

The Algerian Mahrez  2 played well when he came on and was unlucky with the chip into Gray that narrowly went out for a corner.

A work in progress and we are doing ok 6 points from 9 in 3 games I will take that,  We have such a young team Puel is getting things right bring on Liverpool next week.

2 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

He would be absolutely torn apart against Van Dijk. A light breeze pushes him off the ball lol

• Haha 1

not convinced with puel, his team selections i think are poor and his subs bewildering. i also think we will pay a huge price for not signing a striker in the window.

now for all on here who claim gray had a good game ,please go back and watch the replay and count up the number of times he lets the ball run away after his 1st touch, u would expect better from a park footballer. really cant see the use of playing amartey he is always under pressure and i dont think he played more than 2-3 forwards and when he plays backwards puts the team under huge pressure. a wins a win but that was down right ugly.

We get harder and harder to read as a side. We have started really well but you can't help but feel we've had a bit of fortune fall our way. For me it's positive stuff overall, definite room for improvement for sure, but it's a young team that you would like to think will grow in time.

If it takes a bit of luck to get it going then I won't complain.

I'm probably over-egging it. I don't think Southampton can really be too arsey. They weren't any good themselves, decision was correct and they ultimately blew a very winnable game.

There are 2 ways of looking at the performance today and last week.

Firstly we are lucky and we will be found out soon enough. OR we are still finding ourselves with new tactics and once it clicks we are going to be awesome.

I see us lucky in the last 2 games and unlucky in the first game where I thought we were the better team. Momentum is crucial in this league.  If we attack from the start we have the players to cause everyone problems.

What worries me is the reactive tactics we have. We have a team that is far better going forward than defending.  If we go forward at pace then we will leave ourselves open slightly at the back but with the players we have 3-5-2 seems to be the best formation we can play. It would be be ideal for Chilwell and Ricardo to bomb forward which is what they look best at (not great at defending).

At the moment we seem to be reactive rather than proactive.  I believe we have a first 11 capable of competing with most sides in this division. We just need to move the ball quicker to our attacking players where they can run at their opponent rather than safety first playing in our own half bollocks (Barcelona we are not). We have great attacking players like Maddison and in Ricardo and Chilwell potentially the best wing backs in the league. If we play to our strengths we seriously will not have too many problems getting 7th or higher.

Down to Puel to realise this or he will he gone before November imo.

After seeing games early I will be annoyed if we do not finish in the upper reaches of the Prem this season. The top 5 or 6 are way out in front but after winning the league just a couple of seasons ago we should be aiming for at least 7th.

If Puel can not see that 3 at the back with wing backs bombing forward is the way to go then he may sign his own death warrant. Bar for the top 4 or 5 there is nothing to worry us in this league.  

Claude just has to believe that if we attack with that formation we will win more than we lose and I would rather be entertained in a 3-3 draw  than a 0-0 OR 1-1 draw where we do not dysrt to perform until we are 1-0 down.

Also Amatey is an athlete rather than a footballer like Schlupp. Will never be a Premier league player.

2 hours ago, bpfox said:

not convinced with puel, his team selections i think are poor and his subs bewildering. i also think we will pay a huge price for not signing a striker in the window.

now for all on here who claim gray had a good game ,please go back and watch the replay and count up the number of times he lets the ball run away after his 1st touch, u would expect better from a park footballer. really cant see the use of playing amartey he is always under pressure and i dont think he played more than 2-3 forwards and when he plays backwards puts the team under huge pressure. a wins a win but that was down right ugly.

I am not Grays biggest fan but he scored a good goal today and would love it if he plays shite for 89 mins but scores every game.

• Like 1