Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

7 hours ago, tsintskaro said:

so,speaking about problematic issues means that you did not enjoy win and makes you a plastic fan?

lmao

Yes, because that's what I've been saying.

We've amassed millions of new followers in the past three years that don't know zilch about this club, only recognize LCFC thanks to a title-winning season, only root for certain players, not the team, "support" several bigger clubs at once (bleurgh), never been to Leicester, never will, have a different perspective on the game altogether and gladly switch "allegiance" if no longer interested.

Obviously, exceptions prove the rule. It's great to have you in particular on board, not every day you get a Georgian football fan on an English football forum.

Keep it up.

9 hours ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

I’d start Okazaki at Liverpool. Kalechi just isn’t cutting the mustard. 

.... this isn't his position.! 

Vardy suffers the same with a lack of service. He will never be good in this role as leading the line is not his game. He is not. Vardy's cover and should never be viewed as such. 

His problem is, Maddison now occupies the middle of the three upfront, that is where Nacho started to look the part. Although not a number 10 he needs to be central but behind the main striker. 

He is playing out of position and you can only judge with that caveat. 

10 hours ago, TonyN11 said:

Must confess I only saw the last 30 mins but I thought we were better than Liverpool were today against Brighton

Hahaha don’t watch the rest of it, just leave it at that.

Edited by Costock_Fox

12 hours ago, TeePee said:

Mate, with all due respect, it looks like you're basically ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative of 'Puel = bad'. You mentioned that Puel should be judged on the transfer window he had to meet the board's expectations. I've shown you the expectations they've publicly stated, which support the point CropwellFox was making - we're bringing through a team of very talented youngsters who aren't always going to have a great game every week. You've basically ignored that and started claiming that we're only winning through luck and that our tactics are poor - that's nothing to do with the point he was making?

So far the results are good but the entertainment level is pretty dire. Once the results turn bad, and if we continue to play to the same levels of performance of the last two games then they probably will, and  the entertainment level remains bad as well, then not only the fans will turn but, in all likelihood, the owners too.

But two wins in two games is decent at this level and points on the board are key. Let's hope the perfomances can pick up though the concerns I had over Puel last season have not been dismissed by two scrappy wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.... this isn't his position.! 

Vardy suffers the same with a lack of service. He will never be good in this role as leading the line is not his game. He is not. Vardy's cover and should never be viewed as such. 

His problem is, Maddison now occupies the middle of the three upfront, that is where Nacho started to look the part. Although not a number 10 he needs to be central but behind the main striker. 

He is playing out of position and you can only judge with that caveat. 

Whereas is wholly agree with you, I’m looking at it from the perspective of, what would we benefit more from on match day? So far Kalechi has looked completely ineffective, not entirely his own fault as we haven’t really offered him any kind of service, we still have this bizarre habit of lofting the ball up to him..... I’m just thinking at least with Okazaki you’re going to get some form of work, you’re going to get someone busting a gut for 80odd minutes. 

If we play like we have been against Liverpool, we will get minced. We need to get into them a little bit and try to unsettle their back four, which I do not think is in Kalechi’s game. 

In terms of depth we’re limited, particularly up front. We are winning games which is great, but against the top sides I can’t see us getting anything unless we’re clever about our selection, I’m still not wholly convinced that Liverpool’s back four is as formidable as sky make out, but we will make it look like it is with our current blunt attack.

victory

Date published: Sunday 26th August 2018 8:07

Harry-Maguire-Leicester.jpg

Claude Puel insisted his bullish pitch-invasion celebrations at Leicester’s last-ditch win at St Mary’s had nothing to do with his Southampton sacking.

The Foxes manager stormed the pitch with some energetic double fist-pumping when Harry Maguire’s low drive handed his side a 2-1 Premier League victory on the south coast.

Puel could have been forgiven for relishing a revenge victory over former employers Southampton, who sacked him in 2017 after guiding the club to an eighth-place Premier League finish and the League Cup final.

Ryan Bertrand’s thunderbolt drive had Saints ahead, only for Demarai Gray to level four minutes later. Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was sent off late on for a second booking and then Maguire bagged the winner in added time.

Asked if his out-of-character celebration was motivated by his Saints sacking, Puel replied: “No, no, no: nothing about this.

“Because I have a lot of respect for all the people working at Southampton.

“It was just about the circumstance of the game, and it was a tough game, difficult to play against this team and we have had good desire and a good reaction to keep our calm and to play the second part of the game and to win this time is a fantastic feeling.

“I’m happy for my players, for the fans, to get something. It’s justice.”

Quizzed again on his raucous celebrations, the usually straight-laced Puel said there is always a time and a place to let loose.

“Yeah but sometimes it’s good, you know,” said Puel, of his celebrations. “I was happy for my players, for the squad, because it was a tough game.

“I think we played a very good team with strong pressing and quality on the ground.

“We won this game with our mentality, strong spirit and personality. We kept going after conceding the goal. We have good confidence in our play and I’m happy with this.

“It was fantastic from Harry, he took the space and then had the chance to shoot in the final third.

“It’s perfect, and just in time of course. I’m happy for him and the team, it’s a good reward, a tough game. I think it’s a good reward, but I think we deserved it.”

Southampton have now won just three of their last 28 Premier League games at St Mary’s and are yet to claim a victory this term.

Boss Mark Hughes insisted he felt his side deserved to win the game – and that he was even happy to see Maguire shoot on goal, until the ball crossed the goal-line that is.

“Well we didn’t deserve that, I thought it was a really strong performance by us,” said Hughes.

“The question was could we sustain that right through to the end of the game.

“At half-time I felt we were worthy of maybe being ahead at that point, I thought our performance deserved that.

“I demanded that we set off at the same intensity in the second half, we did that, and Ryan scored a fantastic goal.

“And at that point I never thought we were in danger of losing the game.

“The sending-off was damaging to us clearly. We had to move guys around just to be blocking the game out.

“You can’t really believe that it’s gone in [Maguire’s goal] if we’re honest.

“I felt we were the better team but we’re the team that’s lost unfortunately.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reynard said:

So far the results are good but the entertainment level is pretty dire. Once the results turn bad, and if we continue to play to the same levels of performance of the last two games then they probably will, and  the entertainment level remains bad as well, then not only the fans will turn but, in all likelihood, the owners too.

But two wins in two games is decent at this level and points on the board are key. Let's hope the perfomances can pick up though the concerns I had over Puel last season have not been dismissed by two scrappy wins.

See, I think that's a pretty reasonable approach to it. Whilst the stated objective is to develop the squad to lay a foundation for the next couple of years, that obviously can't come at the expense of performances and results. As long as we're getting one of those two (and it won't happen every week), I can live with it. So far, we've had three games - we got wins from two of them and a decent performance out of the other one.

The downside with the style Puel is trying to play is that it's going to take time for these young players to learn it, and it's inevitably one that looks bloody awful when it doesn't click - trying to slowly build possession and territory, only to give it away in midfield with a rash pass, and everything you did earlier in the move is wasted. I'm hopeful we'll see a longer-term improvement in that as the players get to grips with Puel's ideas. 

5 minutes ago, somebum said:

Too negative yet again from Claude Dull. 33.3 percent WLD come end of season guaranteed

Too negative yet again from you. 33.3% talking sense to talking out of your arse come the end of the season guaranteed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Here’s where I am, I am a fan of puel’s more technical, possession based football, as the freak kick and rush league winning season, teams soon sussed us out, basically just sit deep, not saying there wasn’t skill when we won the league, but that was our game plan.

Here’s where I’m struggling, we seem to pass the ball for the sake of passing, with no real attacking intent, it seems more about keeping it, than doing anything with it.

Im not on a downer with puel, but he needs to not be so negative, play the passing game with intensity, and stop trying to please everybody. We need a regular team, to allow understanding and build form and momentum.

It’s early days, new systems take time for players to understand their roles, but this negative football is wearing a bit thin.

So this is where I’m struggling, I’m bored shitless most of last season, and think we are lucky to have six points on the board, and wolves and today I wouldn’t say was great to watch, but I can see what could be achieved in time, if he’s braver, I think I’m going to have to be patient, and put up with the boredom for now, and see where it goes.

Will probably get slated because we have 6 points, but trying to give a fair and honest assessment as I see it.

We have recruited well, when fit, let’s get them in, get rid of the old guard, and let’s give the youngsters the season to gel and progress.

Spot on for me, we aren't progressive enough on the ball, player seem to be afraid to play a forward ball and would rather turn back and play a easy safe ball to the centre half or goal keeper.

Good sides move the ball at pace, have players willing to accepted the ball when under pressure and when marked.

I still think for me the jury is out on our recruitment. Riccardo and Maddison look good purchases. However hard to judge the rest as they have been involved.

Still think we are massively light in attacking positions!

I was working, so I watched the match via the match thread, so to speak. And that was.............entertaining.

Thus, I can offer little except to add the names of Richard & David Attenborough, John Deacon and Jon Lord. If you don't know who Jon Lord was, then you might care to enrich your lives a little......(apologies if this is considered derailing)

• Like 1

The jury is still out for me, I hope we don't play Amartey against Liverpool, I thought Puel made some strange substitutions which concerned me, I wrote Gray off last season but he may grow into a player, I think Nacho is an excellent player that suffered from lack of service yesterday, I think we are one creative attacking midfielder away from being complete if we want to play with 1 striker, I don't like we play with 2 dm, we seem to rely to heavily on maddison to drive the team forward..

2 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

We’ve won away from home without Vardy.

Chilwell, Armarty, Mendy, Maddison, Gray, Ricardo, Nacho are all effectively ‘new’ to the first 11.  That is a lot of change.

This team will take a while to gel.  Give it time

patience isnt some LCFC fans virtues, 

pretty sure some of our fans already want the next manager out too and we havent even got one yet:ph34r::rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Just watched extended highlights on Sky Total Goals.

Gray looked a different player with his work rate and appetite. 

Mendy seemed very solid and adds poise and control we have been lacking in midfield. Need to stick with him and Ndidi who would benefit from that sort of composure himself but had some nice elements of play.

Chilwell is really ripping up trees attacking wise 

Defensively we look frail at times position wise and communication seems a bit amiss.

Yes, we do push the ball around a bit too much at times but think back to the post PL winning season when we treated the ball like a hot potato. 

We are moving in the right direction. Results will build confidence too.