Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

I see alot of moaning going on, which i understand to an extent as we didnt play well at all, but this is the premier league and id rather play crap and win than play well and lose like we did at man u. We didnt have our best striker available, we haven't got Evans fully fit of Benko or Soyuncu ready yet so we still have lots of options. Granted we dont have a great deal of options on the wings which is why we i think he played Pereira on the wing instead of rb, but id consider bringing Barnes back early and get him in our 1st team if the likes of Ghezzal and Diabate aren't going to be good enough to start regularly. We will have better performances than this but we have 6 points from 3 games and things aren't bad like some would have us believe on here. 

Ps Puel isn't going anywhere and the owners have admitted this, so maybe people should just get behind him and the team and see what we can do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Ps Puel isn't going anywhere and the owners have admitted this, so maybe people should just get behind him and the team and see what we can do.

Our owners can't exactly say anything other than that though? The reality is If we lose our next 4 games he'll probably be sacked, that's modern football rightly or wrongly.

I'm backing Puel as I'm bored of sacking managers but our fanbase really hasn't taken to him and I get the impression he's walking a tightrope as soon as a couple of results go against us.

A Really great win especially coming back from a goal down. A fantastivc goal by Harry but poor defending as it was with Demarai's goal while they scored a screamer, although Amartey should have been tighter to the goal scorer. Maguire is just immense and is great at for us in both penalty boxes.

7 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

A Really great win especially coming back from a goal down. A fantastivc goal by Harry but poor defending as it was with Demarai's goal while they scored a screamer, although Amartey should have been tighter to the goal scorer. Maguire is just immense and is great at for us in both penalty boxes.

Bertrand's strike was great, but the ball only fell to him because one of their players fell over in the box and the ball ran through, element of luck in their goal aswell

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

461ea36ba335111d827c98d5bdd0a696.png

According to WhoScored, we had 8 total shots, shocking that Iheanacho didn't even manage a single shot all game.

06c03e830ac8c20c360c0e493348b6e6.png

Players ratings from the match according to WhoScored

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284768/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Southampton-Leicester

Nice to see Amartey with quite a high score seeing as loads think he’s  doggo 

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I didnt think he had a bad game. Would love to see him put a cross in though. Im sure he cant cross, will always do anything else other than cross when he gets in those positions

Yep I thought the same . And yes definitely need to start crossing this ball I’d be surprised if he can’t cause his passing isn’t too bad 

• Like 1

I don’t know why some people are taking it upon themselves to be overly worried about the performance or whatever. Leave that with the coaching staff and enjoy the late winner and 3 points on a Saturday. It’s early days and we’re going well. 

16 hours ago, TeePee said:

RE: Amartey - I'll concede that he's still learning his game, but when you look at what we've got on the other flank and then factor in that Amartey is three years further into his development than Chilwell, the case for it being merely inexperience weakens a little. You're right that he's got his positives, one of which is versatility, but based on what (admittedly little) we've seen so far this season, I'm not convinced that he's a starting PL right back - squad player, definitely, but not a starter. Having said that, there's still plenty of time, and I'd be delighted to be proved wrong,

RE: Gray/Nacho - like yourself, I think Gray was decent today - he's getting a horrendous amount of stick on here for reasons I don't entirely understand, and his defensive work rate has been outstanding in all three games - if he loses the ball, his head doesn't drop, he immediately sprints back to try and win it back - that's a really good trait to have, especially in front of an attacking-minded full-back like Chilwell. I'm still on the fence about Nacho - it's plain to see that it's not a lack of effort, and he's got the quality, but for whatever reason it's just not happening for him at the moment - he never seems to be quite in the right place at the right time - maybe he's still building that understanding with his wingers and number 10, and it'll come. He's got a couple more games to get that going, and I hope he does - I'm a huge fan of Vardy, and I don't think he needs someone pushing him to be motivated, but competition can only be a good thing.

RE: Puel - totally agree. He's not just there to manage matchday (although that will ultimately be what he's judged on), but to develop the players under him, and judging by what we've seen from Chilwell and Maguire in particular, he's having a very positive effect. We've got an absolute bundle of potential in this side - I can think of probably a half-dozen players in the team that have the potential to be title-winning players in the future (either with us or elsewhere), and it's important we don't lose focus on that just for the sake of finishing 7th as opposed to 10th in one season.

We're absolutely not the finished article, nor are we likely to be by Christmas, but if we're either playing well in defeat or gutting out wins in otherwise poor performances, that can only be a positive. This is a squad that's probably not going to hit its peak for another couple of seasons, let's give them time to develop.

Another excellent post.

Amartey I think will prove a lot of people wrong. I wouldn't say he's 3 years more into his development though, More like just 3 years older. He probably never seen or worked with a Coach until he was 18. You have to make allowance for the fact that he's away from his natural home in a strange country and trying to find his feet. That can be too much for some who just cannot cope.

Chilwell on the other hand pretty much grew up in the Club. I think he's here since 8 years of age.

Amartey coped well particularly when faced with 2 on 1 many times in the first half. I think Puel will develop him nicely over the Months ahead.

Ihenacho is a strange, He's a different style of striker to Vardy so why we bought him is a bit of a mystery. Vardy rarely gets injured although he may be a marked man after last weeks tackle. Iheanacho is a more old fashioned box finisher, who's trying to adapt his natural game to suit us. He is getting better it's just games he needs to help him develop.

All in all we're doing ok still with room for improvement. The players look focused and determined which is a good sign.

With a decent season and another Summer Window to further compliment the squad, I think we'll have a very strong Team in 20,19/20 

I think Puel is doing an excellent job and could be here for a long time which is the real key to success.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Yes, because that's what I've been saying.

We've amassed millions of new followers in the past three years that don't know zilch about this club, only recognize LCFC thanks to a title-winning season, only root for certain players, not the team, "support" several bigger clubs at once (bleurgh), never been to Leicester, never will, have a different perspective on the game altogether and gladly switch "allegiance" if no longer interested.

Obviously, exceptions prove the rule. It's great to have you in particular on board, not every day you get a Georgian football fan on an English football forum.

Keep it up.

i get what you are saying and i can understand frustration after winning season so many people drastically becoming leicester fan and random kids twitting dumb staff about club,but i dont fully agree with you.it makes no sense if you ever been in Leicester or not,or you are club supporter just for 3 years if your "review" is rational and speaks about weaknesses even tho your team  won a game.

i just got an impression that saying things you did not like means you did not enjoy win.funny,is not it?

i am georgian but not georgian football fan,they make really difficult to be one 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

why are we trying to dump already our only experienced cover.???  Subs. Always a matter of opinion,which cuts 2-3 ways.

I like the post..other those 2 points.We all see it ...the takeout teams,se?actions from different perspectives.

i still see Iborra And Silva still playing major roles,well into next season...I for the 1st time am worrying over Ndidi,if we can see him,expand

his game,I don't believe a defensive midfielder,can only play stopper,and breaker,distribution is a must,if only safe passes,to build on.

This is where Iborra and Silva in their 2nd season can expand into the PL,supporting not only Ndidi,but also Mendy.

,After /behind Maddison,as playmaker,we need someone (with cover)to grab hold of midfield,or we won't be competing for top 10,chasing just top 7.

For me, if we are to play Amartey, the RCB role is where we should play him.

He’s quick and athletic, but I don’t think he’s the most confident player. He seems to have more of a problem when he’s isolated, and he can get isolated on the right side. 

If he was in a defensive three, playing right alongside another CB, I think we’d see the best of him.

He’s clearly very eager to play for City, and never moans when dropped etc. But if we play him, let’s get him playing alongside a more confident player to guide him. He needs confidence.

2 hours ago, Frost said:

Our owners can't exactly say anything other than that though? The reality is If we lose our next 4 games he'll probably be sacked, that's modern football rightly or wrongly.

I'm backing Puel as I'm bored of sacking managers but our fanbase really hasn't taken to him and I get the impression he's walking a tightrope as soon as a couple of results go against us.

If the owners wanted rid of him they would have got rid of him at the end of last season after we had some horrible results. They didn't so they obviously see more in him than just our immediate results and performances. Its about the long term and integrating the youth team with the 1st team, which he has started to do. I actually wanted to put money on with skybet that puel will still be our manager at the end of the season but for some reason they only take bets on managers getting sacked or leaving. Puel has had a tough job as hes trying to change our style of play while dealing with the player power from certain title winning players and hes slowly changing things for the better. West Ham are a perfect example that you cant throw money around and expect immediate success. Success is built over time. Even our title success was built over time, Nige slowly built a good squad and got a great team spirit within the dressing room and Claudio came in and added his tactical nouse to our good squad and team spirit and we did the unimaginable. We need to give Puel our support and the time needed to fully change our style and our identity as we now need to move on from when we won the league in order for us to carry on competing in the top half and challenging for Europe. Its not about our immediate results and performances, so long as we are not down near the bottom come Nov/Dec time, its about the long term future of the club and the owners know this. If we lose to livepool, will his job be on the line? Absolutely not. If we lose 6 or 7 in a row then yes, but that's unlikely to happen and i think most prem teams would be considering their managers future if results were so poor. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Spot on for me, we aren't progressive enough on the ball, player seem to be afraid to play a forward ball and would rather turn back and play a easy safe ball to the centre half or goal keeper.

Good sides move the ball at pace, have players willing to accepted the ball when under pressure and when marked.

I still think for me the jury is out on our recruitment. Riccardo and Maddison look good purchases. However hard to judge the rest as they have been involved.

Still think we are massively light in attacking positions!

Might get slated for this, but with the new, you could say continental style, it might have been worth keeping slimani, as a different option, a style I think with game time he’d have thrived on, but don’t know the back story, should imagine he didn’t want to hang around.

Frustrated with playing one up top, vardy or whoever is so isolated, the amount of balls played in, and only one in the box.

Again the niggles will hopefully be ironed out, and I will be patient, and I’m not in the puel out brigade, but the bloke needs to grow some balls, and coach and send the out with a more intense, purposeful, passing game, and getting numbers in the box when the changes arise, or I will start to become fed up with the pedestrian football, and will want a more adventurous manager, as it’s becoming a bore to watch, but I suppose results matter

Edited by Monsell1976

5 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Found the amount of empty seats at a Premier League match staggering again.

Is it just me or are there less and less people going to football matches, especially with teams outside the Top Six?

In Saints' case, it might have something to do with a W4 - D8 - L9 home record last season and this.

(Puel's much-discused home record: 6-6-7 there, 8-6-6 with us.)

1 hour ago, Monsell1976 said:

Might get slated for this, but with the new, you could say continental style, it might have been worth keeping slimani, as a different option, a style I think with game time he’d have thrived on, but don’t know the back story, should imagine he didn’t want to hang around.

Frustrated with playing one up top, vardy or whoever is so isolated, the amount of balls played in, and only one in the box.

Again the niggles will hopefully be ironed out, and I will be patient, and I’m not in the puel out brigade, but the bloke needs to grow some balls, and coach and send the out with a more intense, purposeful, passing game, and getting numbers in the box when the changes arise

I think Slimani would be the most suited to our style, think we need a Diego Costa type player.

Interesting, it reported in a couple of papers today that Puel's said he was thinking, just keep it, just keep it, before Maguire shot.

I think the change of style is the correct idea, however not 100% convince Puel's is the right guy to achieve it. Very negative, players look scared to risk losing the ball. Meaning a lot of our passing in backwards, lost count of the number of silly pass we have played into our own box.

For me we don't look very creative, and very one paced, almost the same style as Jose Man U.

I'm on the fence on the Puel's in or out, however I think he's very lucky to have 6pts in the bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I think Slimani would be the most suited to our style, think we need a Diego Costa type player.

Interesting, it reported in a couple of papers today that Puel's said he was thinking, just keep it, just keep it, before Maguire shot.

I think the change of style is the correct idea, however not 100% convince Puel's is the right guy to achieve it. Very negative, players look scared to risk losing the ball. Meaning a lot of our passing in backwards, lost count of the number of silly pass we have played into our own box.

For me we don't look very creative, and very one paced, almost the same style as Jose Man U.

I'm on the fence on the Puel's in or out, however I think he's very lucky to have 6pts in the bag.

Pretty much where I am, got lucky against a newly promoted side, looked ok but got beat by a poor Man U side, I really thought they were there for the taking.

Puel is riding his luck, if he gets results the owners will keep him, boring or not, but I can see us getting a few hammerings against the big boys, and beat by some lesser team, some look to have really come on, unless we really step it up, and play with intent, I can see a repeat of the frustration of the second half of last season.

I say this coming from a point of not wanting another manager change, and wanting it to click, but I really don’t know if puel can turn his keep ball tactics, into successful, consistent results, due to his negative, must not lose first mentality.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

F**k me some of you lot are boring.

Stoppage time winner away from home against a decent side and you're moaning, Christ. Enjoying moments like that is what football is all about.

Sensible comments. Nobody complained when we won five matches 1-0 around March 2016 playing mostly rubbish! (Norwich, Newcastle, Saints at home, Watford, Palace away) Results are the key, points in the bag now mean we have a bit of extra freedom against Liverpool next week. 

Last minute winners mean we all have a great weekend, as Ted intimated, just enjoy the moment - we'll have enough down times - so enjoy wins when they come along. If you can't, what's the point? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The start to this season was always going to be finely poised, I felt we could easily lose vs Man Utd and Wolves come to our gaff and do us and then we'd be facing the possibility of going the first 4-5 games without a point.

We have 6 points from 3 games, so Puel has got exactly the sort of start he's badly needed if he is to stay at our club. The football for the most part has been frustrating and familiar but there's very little point in getting too worked up about it yet. This is ourely jockeying for position now. The real litmus test is how we build on this start. 

We can't continue to play poorly and pick up results, there's a common myth that the sign of a good team is winning when playing badly. What it actually means is, you can't play well every single game but you've got a winning mentality and a very good side so the momentum keeps on going. Us winning these games when playing horribly is only acceptable if we back it up with some good performances down the line and some further wins. 

So far this season our striker and number 10 have spent large parts of the games completely isolated. For a team who are supposed to now dictate possession, it's slightly worrying. If we can't get the ball to our playmaker then we simply have to change our tactics. This is something I expect to see rectified otherwise Puel's vision is pointless. Maddison is a gifted player and although opposition will do everything possible to nullify him, we have got to be knocking on the door constantly through him. It opens up space for the rest of our team to get forward. 

The subs yesterday were the most baffling I've seen from Claude to date. It made absolutely no sense regardless of the outcome of the game. On what planet, when we were on the ascendency and a man to the good was it a positive move to bring Maddison and Gray off? We needed to press home our potential advantage with more firepower. It was already odd enough by taking Iheanacho off before they had a man sent off. 

I still think we will have way more balance throughout this team with a formation change to 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3. I'd struggle to stomach us not trying this when we have all 5 centre halves fit and raring to go, 6 if you include Amartey who would suit the RCB role if he were included.

There are some positives so far though from individuals and partnerships building. Chilwell looks very powerful so far, he's still riddled with a lack of end product but he's progressing and I doubt Fuchs can compete with him now anyway. Ricardo is very effective going forward and the hope he is builds an understanding with his team mates and he'll get better and better. Maddison is massively talented and working his way in to our system, and his bond with Gray and Chilwell is only a good thing.

Mendy looks like a new signing and works well with Ndidi, it could be a masterstroke from Puel. Iborra and/or Silva's days are likely to be numbered. I don't see Iborra being happy not to even make the bench, a deadline day move back to Spain? 

I'm excited for this squad to develop, I just hope we have a brave enough boss to get the best out of them. He's got the right ideas and methods but just nervous he's not quite got the ruthlessness to see it through. 

Excellent post.

I too found the substitutions to be bizarre. Encouraging that we now have a young, enthusiastic and hungry team which will need time to gel.

12 hours ago, moore_94 said:

461ea36ba335111d827c98d5bdd0a696.png

According to WhoScored, we had 8 total shots, shocking that Iheanacho didn't even manage a single shot all game.

06c03e830ac8c20c360c0e493348b6e6.png

Players ratings from the match according to WhoScored

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284768/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Southampton-Leicester

Interesting, only Schmeichel and Maguire rated higher than Amartey. I do think his style tends to make him look much worse than he actually is. He has always looked awkward with the ball, perhaps a bit clumsy, but usually deals with it ok.

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

why are we trying to dump already our only experienced cover.???  Subs. Always a matter of opinion,which cuts 2-3 ways.

I like the post..other those 2 points.We all see it ...the takeout teams,se?actions from different perspectives.

i still see Iborra And Silva still playing major roles,well into next season...I for the 1st time am worrying over Ndidi,if we can see him,expand

his game,I don't believe a defensive midfielder,can only play stopper,and breaker,distribution is a must,if only safe passes,to build on.

This is where Iborra and Silva in their 2nd season can expand into the PL,supporting not only Ndidi,but also Mendy.

,After /behind Maddison,as playmaker,we need someone (with cover)to grab hold of midfield,or we won't be competing for top 10,chasing just top 7.

I think you have a point here. If our striker and no 10 are getting isolated as many here are saying, surely that points to a problem in midfield.

I like Ndidi, and Mendy has been like a new signing, but Ndidi needs to tighten up his passing, and Mendy needs to perhaps pass forwards more (which I thought he did do to some extent against Wolves).

Edited by WigstonWanderer