Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Southampton post match 1-2 Win

Didn't see much of the first half due to issues finding a decent stream, but from what I saw of the second half:

• I like Puel, and I think he can build something with time, but he really doesn't help himself sometimes. There's a place for caution and not getting caught with a sucker-punch on the break against 10 men, but Southampton didn't look like doing that with 11 men, let alone 10.
  • Gray might be a prospect to play centrally in the future, but trying it at 1-1 against a side we should be expecting to beat without anyone creating chances for him really isn't going to do anyone any favours.
  • Mendy and Ndidi look too similar in style, and we saw diminishing returns from both of them. Seems sensible to me that we'd play one ball-winner and one ball-carrier in that position, as I love Wilf, but he didn't have a good game on the ball.
  • Maddison had a bit of an off game, but he doesn't half do some good work in drawing fouls. Pretty sure Hojbjerg's first yellow was for a foul on Madders?
  • Maguire was bloody immense today
  • Chilwell is starting to look like a really decent prospect. His workrate is phenomenal, he gets up and down so well, and he's staying on his feet a lot better this season.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, worthosoriginals said:

that's spoilt an evening of full on moaning, many on FT were looking forward to.

The feckers are still moaning though Wortho. Prem is tough and winning away ugly is beautiful for me ?

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

We are getting results when we are not playing particularly well - that is always a good sign. Our team is new, it’s adapting to losing a key member and a few new players finding their feet. I hope we get a bit more consistency in our starting 11 so partnerships can develop. 

6/9 in the opening 3. Not a bad start!!

Just now, Will1981 said:

everybody has a go at Morgan and Amartey for being poor on the ball but for me Ndidi is by far the worst his inability to pass the ball 10 yards cost us the 1st goal and very nearly a 2nd when Hojberg decided to dive.

His passing was awful today. Last week he actually passed it very well, but certainly not going to challenge you on this today because he was well off. The most frustrating thing is that he often win the ball back superbly, makes space for himself anf then puts in a hospital ball when even an average pass would play someone in for a chance. That's where he's severely lacking compared to N'golo Kante who always got us moving forwards so quickly thanks to playing the right simple ball at the right time after getting it back for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

And we could have beaten Utd if we took our chances in that game.  When we play well and lose Puel gets stick.  When we play sh1t and win, Puel gets stick.  Hopefully soon we start winning AND playing well but for now I am happy with grinding out results.  X

I think that's right, I think we deserved more from the Man U game, but I am not giving Puel stick. I don't think it is Puel's fault at all, I think the players need to be self-motivated and go hard from the jump. I admit, I think we are too defensive and I don't think Puel gives enough attention to our deficiencies on the ball in the MF, I don't think Mendy is good enough on the ball to pair with Ndidi, I think we need someone like Silva in there or else we will keep struggling to possess the ball in our own half like happened the first 60 minutes of the game, but realistically, Mendy played well otherwise and is a better defender than Silva, perhaps Puel's decision saved us a goal in the 1H.

In the end, our crap passive play is 100% on the players, they need to f'ing respect the shirt and play hard for 90 minutes, their weak early play is not on the manager at all IMO.

1 minute ago, Will1981 said:

everybody has a go at Morgan and Amartey for being poor on the ball but for me Ndidi is by far the worst his inability to pass the ball 10 yards cost us the 1st goal and very nearly a 2nd when Hojberg decided to dive.

His passing is far and away the worst aspect of his game (well either that or his long shots lol) but at least Puel has publicly called him out on this last season. If he's to become the top player his potential suggests, it's definitely the area he needs to work at most.

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

He's waiting for new signings to get up to scratch and playing to our strengths with what he has on the pitch.... and we're still winning! 

Performance wise, and selection wise, I don't expect to see his preferred team out there until after international break.

That doesn't answer the question of tactics and not going for a win against 10 men.  The best managers are the ones that smell a victory and make good decisions,.....Puel has not shown any of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1