Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

Liverpool ( H ) Pre Match

As others have said , if we give them the chances / opportunities we gave in the last 3 games we will be punished. Robertson down their left will cause similar problems as Redmond did yesterday as will their high press . Really could have done with JV for this one however we'll just have to roll our sleeves up get stuck in.

Can't imagine we'll create too many chances so hopefully we can be really clinical when we do. Hoping and expecting Wes to partner Harry, most experienced pairing for me please. 

• Like 1

I’m still not totally convinced this Liverpool side is the juggernaut the media are portraying them to be. Yes their attack is formidable, but I still think their defence has a howler in its locker... however for us to really do anything we are going to have to be well on top of our game. I’d love to see a win, but at this stage they are too good, and we are not quite there yet... I’d take a point but I think we will more than likely lose. 

• Like 2

We are at home, have won our last two  (granted, with a couple of mediocre performances) and Liverpool have got progressively less convincing each game. Palace troubled them at their place and if we have a go, backed by a noisy crowd, we can do the same.

We have every chance of getting something from this game. As usual, I shall make my way to the stadium with a positive mindset. And I think our  players will too. Bring it on...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

I’m still not totally convinced this Liverpool side is the juggernaut the media are portraying them to be. Yes their attack is formidable, but I still think their defence has a howler in its locker... however for us to really do anything we are going to have to be well on top of our game. I’d love to see a win, but at this stage they are too good, and we are not quite there yet... I’d take a point but I think we will more than likely lose. 

NvbOGZm.gif

54 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Disagree. Seem to have effectively addressed their soft underbelly in this summers market and think they are the real deal now! 

15 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Really think this may be one for 3-5-2 which we ended the Wolves game with. There key players are the obvious front three and Keita. Having the extra man in defence will be vital.

Love 3-5-2. Don't think we'll see it though Micky. 

Weird odds for an EPL game 31/5 Leicester win against 1/2 Liverpool win. Looks like there is no point turning up, is there really that gulf in the EPL between one of the top also ran team and one of the expected top 4 teams? If there is then the EPL has turned into a pretty pointless league. Got to be worth a punt at 6-1 to win then watch Evans get picked.

5 minutes ago, Bazly said:

Weird odds for an EPL game 31/5 Leicester win against 1/2 Liverpool win. Looks like there is no point turning up, is there really that gulf in the EPL between one of the top also ran team and one of the expected top 4 teams? If there is then the EPL has turned into a pretty pointless league. Got to be worth a punt at 6-1 to win then watch Evans get picked.

Crazy. Worth laying Liverpool and take the draw/win option. Score first and cash out on the in-running market.   

44 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Really think this may be one for 3-5-2 which we ended the Wolves game with. There key players are the obvious front three and Keita. Having the extra man in defence will be vital.

Believe it or not 3-5-2 (or some variant with 3 at the back) is considered the best counter to 433 type systems because you can either put one up against each of their forwards or have the guys on the left and right look after the wide forwards and have the central player and entire back line push up to deny their 9 and potentially 10 playing the ball behind and starve the front three of service. Sounds good on paper of course but terrifying if Dan Amartey is up 1 on 1 against either Mane or Salah! But I do agree we might see 3 at the back versus Liverpool and Man City this year for this reason  

Another issue is that Liverpool are good at beating the high press against them, probably because they practice it so much given they use the same way of playing. Last year they beat Man City three times and it was partly because they were one of the few teams that could play their way out of being boxed in by the Mancs front players which then allowed them to pose them problems they weren’t used to dealing with. Our Barry basic high press will probably get dealt with especially given JV will be out. 

But at the end of the day in football anything can happen and we beat them twice at home in the last 3 seasons. Each time we did the atmosphere was electric and the team played very aggressively to cause Liverpool problems. The game after Ranieri being sacked being the best example. If we approach the game like that then regardless of formation we have a chance. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Believe it or not 3-5-2 (or some variant with 3 at the back) is considered the best counter to 433 type systems because you can either put one up against each of their forwards or have the guys on the left and right look after the wide forwards and have the central player and entire back line push up to deny their 9 and potentially 10 playing the ball behind and starve the front three of service. Sounds good on paper of course but terrifying if Dan Amartey is up 1 on 1 against either Mane or Salah! But I do agree we might see 3 at the back versus Liverpool and Man City this year for this reason  

Another issue is that Liverpool are good at beating the high press against them, probably because they practice it so much given they use the same way of playing. Last year they beat Man City three times and it was partly because they were one of the few teams that could play their way out of being boxed in by the Mancs front players which then allowed them to pose them problems they weren’t used to dealing with. Our Barry basic high press will probably get dealt with especially given JV will be out. 

But at the end of the day in football anything can happen and we beat them twice at home in the last 3 seasons. Each time we did the atmosphere was electric and the team played very aggressively to cause Liverpool problems. The game after Ranieri being sacked being the best example. If we approach the game like that then regardless of formation we have a chance. 

Which why (even though I am one of his biggest critics) I would start Shinji. That hustle at the top without Vardy will be lacking with just Kelechi. The 3-5-2 with attacking wing backs could be our only hope against the leagues form team. One thing you get from Shinji is energy from the start. That could also help us in overcoming our slow starts. The one on one between salah and amartey is scaring though.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Which why (even though I am one of his biggest critics) I would start Shinji. That hustle at the top without Vardy will be lacking with just Kelechi. The 3-5-2 with attacking wing backs could be our only hope against the leagues form team. One thing you get from Shinji is energy from the start. That could also help us in overcoming our slow starts. The one on one between salah and amartey is scaring though.

I think it makes perfect sense. You could make an argument for starting all of Okazaki, Albrighton and Gray to create that hustle and bustle. Prior to this season Gray you wouldn't put in the same category but he's come back from the summer with a totally different and refreshing attitude and is really putting himself about in trying to win the ball back and work for the team. But then do you take Maddison out? Probably not, but having Okazaki up front on his own (which to be fair we ended up with versus Southampton) might reduce the goal threat we have in the game. Anyway we can't start slow and given the game is an early kick-off in which we are notoriously shit in (Crystal Palace last season comes to mind) I think it's even more important to start with a rocket up our arse.

Good news is we have the squad to do something like this if we want to, so let's see what happens. But basically if there is one team in the league you do not want to start slowly against, Liverpool is that team.

A draw would be a fantastic result - but we’re at home, and while they are tremendous, we’ll have had two weeks to try and work something out. It’s difficult, but not impossible, to imagine us nicking a point. 

Klopp doesn’t seem to like playing against us.

Would’ve fancied something if Vardy was available for this one. Loves scoring against these lot, but I’m holding hopeful here 1-1 with Iheanacho getting one in the 88th.

Edited by Fox42