Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

Liverpool ( H ) Pre Match

I wouldn't be surprised to see Amartey. Puel persists with and brings out the best in young players. And it's already worked here with Chilwell. And Gray is much improved. He’ll likely do the same with Amartey. And to be fair Amartey has improved although not as much as some would like.

Edited by Foxxed

20 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Amartey. Puel persists with and brings out the best in young players. And it's already worked here with Chilwell. And Gray is much improved. He’ll likely do the same with Amartey. And to be fair Amartey has improved although not as much as some would like.

I just have him in the same category as Lindelof and Baily, he looks terrified of the ball, and you can't have that in a defender, especially not on who you think will be facing up to Robertson and Mane!

Actually wonder if we might see Simpson on Saturday.... I actually wouldn't be that annoyed to see a Simpson/Perreira partnership even if just to counter their amazing left side. 

Edited by AjcW
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I just have him in the same category as Lindelof and Baily, he looks terrified of the ball, and you can't have that in a defender, especially not on who you think will be facing up to Robertson and Mane!

Actually wonder if we might see Simpson on Saturday.... I actually wouldn't be that annoyed to see a Simpson/Perreira partnership even if just to counter their amazing left side. 

:wes:in fairness, at least amartey is athletic, Simpson would get absolutely torn to pieces by mane 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 2

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

:wes:in fairness, at least amartey is athletic, Simpson would get absolutely torn to pieces by mane 

I was hoping simmo would do the tackling after Perreira had ran them into the ground lol

Believe me this isn't my ideal situation, but Amartey at right back against good players terrifies me, he made Redmond look like Ronaldo at times! 

Dont think Liverpool are unbeatable....3 wins  but they were against West Ham,Crystal Palace and Brighton (who could easily have got something from that game)...

i know we need to treat them with respect but we can give them plenty of problems if we are not too negative

59 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Not sure Gray is much improved tbh

Chilwel was alway on course to be highly rated, Wagner nearly convinced Klopp he was good enough to be their left back at 18 or 19.

Fuchs deteriorating has aided Chilwells development, more than a gutsy move by Puel

I don't get Puel's handling of Amartey, didn't he drop him last season for Simpson after a promising spell? Why the fascination with him now when we've Pereira? Is it because he's finally binned Simpson and until Periera is trustworthy he's giving Amartey a chance? It's odd, I always felt Amartey was under appreciated but that was when we had very little options at right back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't get Puel's handling of Amartey, didn't he drop him last season for Simpson after a promising spell? Why the fascination with him now when we've Pereira? Is it because he's finally binned Simpson and until Periera is trustworthy he's giving Amartey a chance? It's odd, I always felt Amartey was under appreciated but that was when we had very little options at right back.

It almost feels - to me - like we've signed Pereira to solve a problem, but we're not really sure what problem that was.

We needed a new RB. We needed a new RW. Pereira is a very attacking RWB so sort of fits both roles, and we're not sure where to use him.

As a result, rather than comparing Pereira to Amartey, it's more a case of comparing the backups; Amartey at RB vs Ghezzal at RW. Whilst the latter is integrating into the squad it makes a bit more sense to play Amartey instead, and even more so if we are looking at trialling 3atb. Regardless, though, with Soyuncu becoming available and Ghezzal having had a bit more time to gel with the squad, I could see Amartey losing his starting spot and Pereira maybe dropping back a bit more after the international break.

It's a bit perplexing for now but we've added quite a few new players so these first few gameweeks were always going to be a 'bedding in' stage and we should start seeing the true structure of this team take shape throughout September.

...I hope.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We only now have Amartey available/ suitable as right back.

The player (Periera) bought for that role is not fit for purpose either through choice or instructed so plays as right wing

The Player (Simpson) who gas played there with some success has been publicly rejected 

The player bought as a right winger and the several other options we have at right wing can not get a game/ much of

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 14:01, Gerard said:

Liverpool lined up on Saturday with and possible Leicester improvements:

Pereria for Trent Alexander

Chilwell for Robertson

Maguire for Gomez

Ndidi for Wijnaldum

Maddison for Milner

Vardy for Firmino

Would have thought it would be more instructive to do a similar comparison with the Brighton team Liverpool struggled to beat at Anfield. I'll leave this as an exercise for the reader as I'm terribly busy...

Would be tempted to stick Mendy and N'didi on Salah and Firmino and allow the CBs to drop deep to limit the space for Mane to run into. 

I can see this being played out like a basketball match with both team's countering at will. We have to be very wary of their front three and also the overlapping full backs pushing on, particularly down the left where Robertson is very dangerous. Having said that, if we can turnover play and get the ball forward upto our front four quickly, we'll cause them all sorts of problems at the back. 

I'm expecting this to be a very high scoring game, and think we might cause a bit of an upset. 

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

I used to think he looked terrified of the ball but he's looked a lot better recently. Not calm and composed but definitely better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Not sure Gray is much improved tbh

Chilwel was alway on course to be highly rated, Wagner nearly convinced Klopp he was good enough to be their left back at 18 or 19.

Fuchs deteriorating has aided Chilwells development, more than a gutsy move by Puel

Chilwell wasn't on course though. Last season he was making mistakes all over the place. Most of the forum including me wanted him benched. I would have given money to see him on the bench in our later cup games. Puel persisted and we've all benefited.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

I was hoping simmo would do the tackling after Perreira had ran them into the ground lol

Believe me this isn't my ideal situation, but Amartey at right back against good players terrifies me, he made Redmond look like Ronaldo at times! 

Amartey was fine against Liverpool in their own back yard last season.

Made Redmond look like Ronaldo lol

22 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Chilwell wasn't on course though. Last season he was making mistakes all over the place. Most of the forum including me wanted him benched. I would have given money to see him on the bench in our later cup games. Puel persisted and we've all benefited.

His played 3 games this year 2 have been victories, give it time and the fickle bunch will be calling for him to be dropped again 

most of the forum??? Most of the short sighted posters that dont take into account age and game time you mean

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ian_marshall said:

Would be tempted to stick Mendy and N'didi on Salah and Firmino and allow the CBs to drop deep to limit the space for Mane to run into. 

I can see this being played out like a basketball match with both team's countering at will. We have to be very wary of their front three and also the overlapping full backs pushing on, particularly down the left where Robertson is very dangerous. Having said that, if we can turnover play and get the ball forward upto our front four quickly, we'll cause them all sorts of problems at the back. 

I'm expecting this to be a very high scoring game, and think we might cause a bit of an upset. 

With the fluidity and pace in their front 3 I think man marking Salah and Firminho would be almost impossible. Especially as they both play as forwards rather than midfielders. Putting two CMs on them just wouldn’t work. 

With Morgan and Evans starting tonight v Fleetwood, and after Söyünçü played for the U23s last night, perhaps there's more chance of Söyünçü starting against Liverpool.

He may take time to acclimatise but from the snippets I've seen he looks class.  The pace of Mané and Salah up against Maguire, Morgan or Evans scares me!