Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

One footed player's

Ok, so everyone's harping on about some of our players being one footed, and it got me thinking..

Some of the best player's to ever grace a football pitch have been so one footed it's a joke. I'm guessing that these one footed Leicester player's can actually use there other foot. Why I ask , if you swing your hammer in your right hand would you want to change over to the other hand, which is as powerful and can swing it but with less precision?

Maybe a bad analogy but what I'm trying to say is there has been that many quality players that choose to use only one foot, and were/are great players we could name them for a hundred pages of a thread.

For example I give you Ryan Giggs. Can anyone else name one....

Maybe but I've witnessed many one footed players trying to put the ball in the back of the net with their stronger foot and make a real pigs ear of it because it would in many cases have been a simple finish with the other foot. Likewise with simple passing and shooting.

Just because there have been plenty doesn't excuse others in fact one could argue that if they're not up to the standard of these wonder one footed players maybe they need the other foot to enable them to better compete.

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

Maybe but I've witnessed many one footed players trying to put the ball in the back of the net with their stronger foot and make a real pigs ear of it because it would in many cases have been a simple finish with the other foot. Likewise with simple passing and shooting.

Just because there have been plenty doesn't excuse others in fact one could argue that if they're not up to the standard of these wonder one footed players maybe they need the other foot to enable them to better compete.

They don't need to be wonder player's, just good at what they do. You of all people should remember Steve Guppy and politely shut your mouth ??????

6 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

They don't need to be wonder player's, just good at what they do. You of all people should remember Steve Guppy and politely shut your mouth ??????

It was you that was suggesting they were wonder players that were so great they only need one foot.

1 hour ago, Gwyn said:

Ok, so everyone's harping on about some of our players being one footed, and it got me thinking..

Some of the best player's to ever grace a football pitch have been so one footed it's a joke. I'm guessing that these one footed Leicester player's can actually use there other foot. Why I ask , if you swing your hammer in your right hand would you want to change over to the other hand, which is as powerful and can swing it but with less precision?

Maybe a bad analogy but what I'm trying to say is there has been that many quality players that choose to use only one foot, and were/are great players we could name them for a hundred pages of a thread.

For example I give you Ryan Giggs. Can anyone else name one....

I sort of get your point but the answer is pretty obvious I'd say. It's about degrees of talent isn't it? If you are incredibly talented and use one foot then you can get by by virtue of the fact that your level of skill compensates for your weaker foot. For a lesser-talented player, being one-footed is clearly a bigger disadvantage because you perhaps don't have the skill to compensate in the same way. An obvious comparison would be the hugely talented Riyad Mahrez and the less-talented Diabete (sorry, Fousseni). Riyad could do wonders with his right foot and his balance meant that he create something from anywhere. Diabete doesn't have the same level of talent and so he is considerably more predictable and a lot less effective. Also, the top footballers tend to be able to at least get by with their weaker foot whereas some players seem to use their weaker foot for standing on and that's why they're not in the top bracket.

Lastly, I'd say that it's less of an issue if you're left-footed. As lefties are relatively rare compared to right-footers then they perhaps can get away with being a bit more one-footed. For example, you mentioned Steve Guppy, one of my favourite ever players but would he have played top flight football if he'd been right-footed? Probably not. There are a few totally left-footed players in the top echelons but not too many totally right-footed. Beckham in his prime is one of the few I can think of.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

Being one footed indicates a lack of technique and as Paddy says it makes your game a lot more predictable, as it reduces the angles you can pass and dribble and often even tackle from and one-footed players then have to compensate by using the outside of their strong foot which can lead to passes going astray and shots being fluffed and defensive clearances being shanked in the wrong direction etc etc.

Even the likes of Messi would benefit if he was to suddenly realise how to use his right effectively would go from being arguably the best in the world to unquestionably the best. 

If you look at a team with too many one-footed players their attacking play is often disjointed and reliant on individual brilliance because the players when passing the ball to each other are not happy to receive it on one side.....

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 2

The thread,is an interesting thought...

What's boring are posters ,who judge a players future potential,and therefore to them,an obvious reasons,to make out one footed players

are doomed,to failure,and shouldn't be considered as potential PL competent players...like saying..one is too small...He's too tall,to have,decent

ball control...

.mmm :rolleyes: maybe subjects for even another new topic/thread

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

One legged players are my preference…

So long as we avoid those on the Timpsons wanted list for theft of single football boots from shop doorway racks, I'm all for it.

image.jpeg.5295c4483ab2f9b5a253a7e8a0b15a53.jpeg

Edited by Max Wall