Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Liverpool 2 post match thread.

24 minutes ago, reynard said:

It's the old cliche but that was a game of two halves.

First half was like a training session for them we were essentially playing 4-6-0, created almost next to nothing, started slowly and innefectively and should have been 2 down inside around ten minutes. We didn't press very much, we moved the ball far too slowly and the forward movement was non existent.

Second half we played most of it at a better tempo and created a little bit more but let's be honest they were not troubled that much after we scored.. Terrible error by the keeper allowed us a way back in, but for whatever reason we dropped the pressing and tempo and never really looked like getting an equaliser. We looked far better once we had a striker on the pitch.

Maddison played well but needs to up his work rate a bit. Ricardo was generally ineffective and Chilwell's end product was as usual.

We did some good things but I can't agree with those saying we were unlucky ir deserved to win. Yes we had quite a bit of the ball but we don't move it quickly enough when we really need to and teams can always regroup and make it harder for us to break them down.

Mendy was very good though he did give the ball away a few times. Whether he and Ndidi will give us the creativity in the middle of the pitch we need is at this moment uncertain.

Encouraging in parts but ultimately no points.

Nonsense, we had  a really good half hour in the first half but were let down by some poor defending. Even the most partisan Liverpool fan wouldn’t claim it was like a training sesssion. That’s just a silly thing to say.

Edited by Mr Weller
  • Like 2

For me the biggest positive was our positive play, but I felt it was forced upon us.  Up until there goal we were quite awful and were quite negative, our setup was negative.

Puel hasnt learnt his lesson, were not good enough to defend for 90 minutes, we are at our best when we attack and that showed today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

This "they hadn't conceded all season" they wouldn't have conceded today if their keeper had just cleared the ball. It wasn't the result of good attacking.

It was the result of good pressing mind. Gomez under pressure. Then Van Dijk under pressure. The keeper under pressure. I hope if there’s anything we’ve learnt from 90 minutes is to press teams rather than watching them playing around us early doors. Our performance improved as soon as we pressed their back four. 

Morgan had one on a plate and Maddison not far behind. I don’t think a lack of chances can be cited today. We probably were guilty of that against United. 

We were good but the difference ultimately told in the quality of the finishing. That’s the gap between top six and the rest

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Its weird seeing other fans being impressed with our players and team. Most of the reaction to this current City side has been pleasantly positive by most PL fans. Its a fun team to watch and a team that likely will finish 7th-10th. I wish some of our fans would share that positivity.

Totally agree - you’ll commonly hear pundits recognise that. You’ll also note opposition showing us the same respect. This means cynical play and time wasting. It means snide comments pre match about your players. 

I'm normally a big defender of the team. However, despite the possession stats, Liverpool were streets ahead. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. We're still a decent prem team though. We'll do ok this season and could have taken a point today, against all the odds.

6 minutes ago, boots60 said:

We deserved at least a point but surely a 4-6-0 system is not the future. Is it?

Find this complaint baffling. We had three options Kelechi, Shinji or Gray. And having watched the game who did the best job of three?

Gray playing as CF and there’s the answer for original question. 

The negative setup is what concerns me. Puel should have realised that we aren’t good enough to contain Liverpool, but we are good enough to pressure them and create our own chances. Shows a mindset which isn’t in concert with our team or their abilities quite yet. 

Whilst we played very well in patches, predominantly 2nd half, we were effectively a blunt instrument. 

Still there are positives and this was effectively a free hit hit at one of the title favourites. Didn’t disgrace ourselves and most teams will do worse. 

Vardy back now and steady as she goes. Hopefully tighten at the back a bit and add more cut to our thrust. 

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Real shame about the score, but many positives to take from the game, some really good individual performances. The only real negative was our lack of strike force and that will be resolved to  a certain extent now Vardy has served his 3 match ban.

Not dissapointed to be honest (with the exception of the 1st 15 mins) Our slow starts and going 1 down so early does need addressing though, BIG time.

Edit;- No more talk about Liverpool not conceding so far this season.  

We are playing some good football and I can see something good starting to happen, but your point here I agree with and it does worry me. The natural starting choice today would be Iheanacho up front, but obviously the manager doesn’t completely believe in him at the moment, and I think he’s right.

i just think we lack a target man, even if it’s just to offer something different occasionally. Today with us chasing the game, it would have been ideal, because there was little point any crosses coming in after good build up play.

We look lightweight up front without Vardy, as you say, but even with him, that target man is something we miss. Especially when chasing games.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
Just now, ealingfox said:

Honestly if we turn into one of these clubs that say 'yeah but we had more possession' or 'yeah but we were the better side' after losing comfortably i'm pretty much finished

I’ve been thinking the same.

We have to be dead careful of this attitude of “look at the stats”, “we had more shots” etc etc.

I made the point earlier, ultimately the only stat worth looking at is the result. Yes, we played well against both Utd and Liverpool.... but still lost.

At the moment, we’re fine. The other two wins are keeping us afloat. But playing pretty football isn’t the same as playing effective football.

And it won’t wash for long. It’s a points business and the tide on here will turn faster than a fart if ‘impressive performances’ aren’t backed up with points.

Looking at us so far, I think we’ll be comfortably mid to upper table. But we have to start making more chances at home.

I'm with Col well I'm not but  you know.

We lost 2 1 I think and Liverpool were happy to let us have some ball 2nd half. Two soft goals

No way Gray should have been on in front of Nacho who played really well against Fleetwood ,Something in Grays head affects his play.Crazy selection

Chilwell is not brilliant by any stretch could have put his right foot in to a tackle on the first goal but only has a left foot. 

Madison is another very easy on the eye but?

Plenty of possession ,passes, tidy stuff ,but we still got nil points.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Fair enough but why go so over the top in their negativity? They overstate their case.

Well, maybe because we really should have done better! We played well and created some really, really good opportunities and didn’t take them... and ultimately come away with nothing.

As was expected we lost and it was because we let in two from indifferent defending. They also missed a sitter early on but likewise we got one back because their keeper failed to clear.

We played well for large parts of the game when we pressed them and and passed quickly and accurately. We played well down the flanks and midfield were encouraging but there still too many negatives for me and ultimately we did not really threaten very much.

Gray should not start up front as he does not have the quick thinking and first touch required. Puel should have realised that by now.

Morgan had a reasonable game but at this level he is simply no longer good enough.

Why do we continue to cross the ball into the box when clearly we would achieve more by running at the full backs  and trying to get a direct shot in.

Amartey seems to be afraid of the ball and Shinji is rarely an attacking threat which was needed when he came on.

So some pluses and minuses  but after all the improvements am still concerned about Claude’s approach and tactics.

Its not just possession, we looked much more comfortable on the ball and moved up the pitch better with our possession.  The quality of play has been improved. Puel should get credit for that

Liverpool couldnt get out at times. Vardy in that game could have tipped the scales in our favour

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1