Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Liverpool 2 post match thread.

1 hour ago, Mr Weller said:

Nonsense, we had  a really good half hour in the first half but were let down by some poor defending. Even the most partisan Liverpool fan wouldn’t claim it was like a training sesssion. That’s just a silly thing to say.

We'll agree to differ on this one. We basically didn't get out of our own half for much of the first half and the Liverpool defenders played under no pressure whatsoever.

40 minutes ago, Beechey said:

The Shaw goal is a bit weird to put on Ricardo. Shaw had the luckiest touch off his shin and put it over Ricardo, even he wasn't expecting it himself. Any of our full backs would have struggled with it, because it was an unpredictable touch.

Yes there's no doubt the bounce of the Ball went Shaw's way, But it's the fact he wasn't ready for it having lost Shaw but was also out muscled in the Challenge. You can be sure that wouldn't have happened to either Simpson or Amartey.

i'm sure he will learn and improve from it. 

Frustrated with that. Really struggled in the first 20 minutes before we managed to settle down and create some pressure although not too many chances. Conceding that shit goal before half-time was a massive blow.

Second half I thought we started well and three big opportunities- Maddison's blocked shot, Morgan's bounce and then the goal- got us some foothold but after that we didn't create too much and the game drifted.

I think we've got the makings of a decent team, they are trying to play creative football, the additions of Ricardo and Mendy have been positive, I thought Ghezzal did well enough but Vardy's absence was huge. He's the only striker that can lead the line and although Gray gave his all, he's not the same player.

Four games in and it has gone as I expected, two defeats against the top four clubs and points from the other two. Next four games are where we can get a decent haul of points so we have to look forward with optimism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

How we miss Mahrez and Vardy today, probably the difference between a top 6 side and 10th. But plenty of positives I think this does look like a team that can improve with games and build. Ghezzal had a good second half I thought, Maddison is class and Chilwell looks like he's going to have a great season and Mendy looks very composed. Unfortunately it looks like we are going to have a problem at RB and teamswill expoit that as we go through the season. 

It's a shame that we have ended up with two sitting midfielders. Personally now I would like to see Iborra in the team over Nididi to give us more attacking options, however Iborra can be quite eratic 

I don’t think we’ll miss Mahrez as much as people think with Ghezzal and madison putting those through balls in for Vardy to run onto young Ghezzal looking so comftorble on the ball and not afraid to take on the last man or shoot on sight !

We were Very unlucky not to get anything out of this game as at times we were playing some great counter attacking, with Vardy out does this show that the owners need to pay big for a decent striker/forward in January as we’re not always going to be able to count on Vardy’s tenacity especially with injury’s and bans, agree with most on here we pay big bucks for younger defenders yet CP stays faithful to Morgan who made a few awful mistakes today that could have cost us, really impressed with Mendy he’s been a shining star like a new signing agree with most regarding him as Kante-esque !! 

Still things are are looking pretty good for us as the new signings start to settle in and the likes of The Turkish lad coming into fitness, let’s hope CP can find his best starting 11 asap !!

United away was our best performance, since then we’ve struggled to create chances and today was the same. Our build up play is good enough but we’re too reliant on trying to create centrally which we’re not capable of doing effectively so we become too cross heavy. Hopefully with more games under their belts Maddison and Ghezzal become the players we hoped they would.

I wish Matt Piper didn't insist of talking about "the balance of play" over and over again. It only takes a second to make the mistake that concedes a goal that loses a game. Looking better for a longer period doesn't mean anything, especially when we're already conceded a goal or 2.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

You've got to look at the game in the wider context of what the project is and where we hope to be.

The project is as I see it is to develop the team so as we can compete regularly with the top 6. In an effort to do that we've needed to bring in new players and show patience in the process.

Considering the money Liverpool and Utd paid for players I think we can and should be quite pleased. Liverpool are now the finished article and it showed today. they're strong, Fast, and talented with lots of skill all over the pitch.

We on the other hand are a few months into our project and doing ok with room for improvement. Today I think Puel got the line up wrong but that happens to all Managers. He clearly see something in Gray in the 9 role. My problem with that is Gray hasn't nailed down a starting place yet or shown enough to solidify his place to mess with his head and try and make a CF out of him.

He may have to reconsider the situation at RB also. That's 2 Goals in 4 Match Ricardo has been responsible for. That needs to be addressed.

He may have to consider bringing back Simpson, Though I would have stuck with Amartey today. Ricardo needs to develop a physical presence and not be pushed off the ball so easy.

Maddison for all his talent needs to improve his passing accuracy. 

Ghezzal looks a good player and will improve with more games. He has Goals in him, good movement as well as composer as shown in his Goal today.

We've ran 2 of the big 6 close, Overall the signs are looking very good. We just need to start games better or at least be more solid early in games.

We didn't trow in the Towel after going 2 down and the players deserve great credit for that. We could have nicked a point but didn't.

i've seen huge improvement in both players and the team. So the future is looking good. Relax and keep the faith and we'll be all right.

Here here :scarf:

• Thanks 1

Consistency is the key. I'm encouraged by the progress the team is making, however, we often raise our game against the top teams and get very little, but when we play lesser opposition we don't appear to play with the same level of desire, confidence, intensity  and commitment. If we can show similar levels of application as today in most matches I feel that we will be in a healthy position at the end of the season

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I’d best not post too much in fear of upsetting snowflakes, getting posts deleted or banned again.

Played well in parts, sent me sleep in others.

Think 2-0 (in the first half) flattered them but on the other hand for all our possession and knocking it about well we didn’t create much or threaten much.

Can anyone explain the negative subs? Last week they were made (luckily we managed a last minute winner) today Maddison was took off for Amartey.

It strikes me as similar to Shakespeare in the fact I claimed he went into game looking not to lose them rather than trying to win matches.

Likewise it struck me that Puel would rather lose 2-1 than actually going for it and potentially losing by more than 2-1 by making the negative change.

100% this.

We're playing with the handbrake on. Even at Southampton versus 10-men the substitutions and the approach didn't scream going for the win before Maguire took matters into his own hands.

Today was frustrating in the sense that we had Liverpool rocking in the second half. That 'up and at em' approach that used to serve us so well was unsettling them and then Puel took Albrighton off who'd been leading by example in that regard.

Playing without a striker was madness. Gray isn't smart enough in his movement to be effective there and it took too long without us creating many chances before the change was made.

People will say we played well and look at possession etc. but it was often in front of an organised Liverpool back line in the first half and the periods of pressure we had in the second half were from getting after them rather than a patient build up.

Take the shackles off Puel or the next guy will and with a couple of tweaks will have a very dangerous side at his disposal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

I wish Matt Piper didn't insist of talking about "the balance of play" over and over again. It only takes a second to make the mistake that concedes a goal that loses a game. Looking better for a longer period doesn't mean anything, especially when we're already conceded a goal or 2.

Do people still listen to radio Leicester with the idiot stringer? So many other ways to waych it. 

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Still not good enough in either box, we play good stuff in the middle third but just not sharp enough to create good chances.

Defensively we still not there to soft goals today.

Considering we've been missing our main striker for the last 3 games, I don't think we did too badly. Maddison was unlucky with a great tackle to deny him, another day a fair few fall for us. Gray put himself about and Nacho had real conviction with his runs. Ghezzal, Ricardo and Chillwell all being of threat as well.

In our box we're a hell of a lot better than last year, it's all progress. A month or so Soyuncu will be bedded in more and the 'final' back 5 should be taking shape. But main thing being we look a hell of a lot sturdier, I'm not clenching everytime we're defending. 

1 hour ago, Staffs Fox said:

Can’t believe some moaners in here! 

We played incredibly well for 80 mins of that game and we did ourselves proud. Trust me that’ll be one of the toughest games they’ll have this season 

Maddison, Chilwell and Mendy were all 10/10 and if we play anywhere near that against the vast majority of the other teams in the league we’ll smash em

The team we played today were in the Champions League final 3 months ago and we outplayed them for most the match.

Heads up guys, this team of ours is pretty damn good 

That is all very true and I think good times are ahead. 

However playing great football and losing is not what the majority actually want. 

Tbh though I’m not too concerned. I think we will be fine and finish top 10, closer to top 6. 

Edited by ARM1968

Another game where we started too slow and nervously. Put them under pressure second half but the comeback didn't ever look likely today, especially without Vardy. 

Still very optimistic about this season though, Soyuncu will improve our defence and Maddison looks at home in the Prem already.

1 hour ago, Staffs Fox said:

Can’t believe some moaners in here! 

We played incredibly well for 80 mins of that game and we did ourselves proud. Trust me that’ll be one of the toughest games they’ll have this season 

Maddison, Chilwell and Mendy were all 10/10 and if we play anywhere near that against the vast majority of the other teams in the league we’ll smash em

The team we played today were in the Champions League final 3 months ago and we outplayed them for most the match.

Heads up guys, this team of ours is pretty damn good 

Touché sir, I’ll buy you a beverage!