Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Liverpool 2 post match thread.

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Roberto Firmino, five fouls. Debatedly I’d say it was around seven but no yellow card and continued to throw tackles from behind like he did to Maguire. 

He’s the same every game. 

At times the ref allowed Liverpool to control the tempo. Milner was a ****ing joke on kicking balls away and that late lunge proved it exactly 

Not to mention the dive.

1 hour ago, Currylover said:

Odd to say but it was mostly positive.

Definitely deserved a point from that however up front worries me.

Even with vardy back, he gets frustrated up front.

Most before that was brilliant yesterday, all over them for the most part and enjoyable footy to watch.

One thing razzed me off was when puel brought amartey on. I cannot think of one good reason why he would have done that.....?

Liverpool only won because they have an attack that is brutal going forward, even if they are getting smashed everywhere else - something we need to sort out asap.

He did that so he could move Pereira forward onto the right wing. Thought he might have gone 3 at the back with Amartey but he decided to keep the same system.

Lots of possesion again. But lacking end product. However it feels different from last season. There seems more purpose and positivity to the play. 

But we lack that cutting edge it seems strange we have a 3 playing behind a front may. Yet we don't have a front man who can hold up the ball and we can play off.

I feel this maybe the story of our season again however. Looking good against the better sides as they maybe happy to let us have the ball and hit on the counter as they have better players. Those sides that sit in but have lesser quality we may as fans get very frustrated again if we can't break them down.

Still loving madders he's an excellent prospect and probably the next player to be whored about by $ky.

And like the fact that Algerian winger mk2 has a bit of strength about him. Probably the 1 thing Ryiad lacked.

Still feeling reasonably positive but we need to find away of breaking teams down in the next 3 games.

8 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Lots of possesion again. But lacking end product. However it feels different from last season. There seems more purpose and positivity to the play. 

But we lack that cutting edge it seems strange we have a 3 playing behind a front may. Yet we don't have a front man who can hold up the ball and we can play off.

I feel this maybe the story of our season again however. Looking good against the better sides as they maybe happy to let us have the ball and hit on the counter as they have better players. Those sides that sit in but have lesser quality we may as fans get very frustrated again if we can't break them down.

Still loving madders he's an excellent prospect and probably the next player to be whored about by $ky.

And like the fact that Algerian winger mk2 has a bit of strength about him. Probably the 1 thing Ryiad lacked.

Still feeling reasonably positive but we need to find away of breaking teams down in the next 3 games.

Looks pretty much the same to me. Just a few different players doing things a bit quicker than last season. Early goals conceded, nothing much going forward and better showing in the second half.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Roberto Firmino, five fouls. Debatedly I’d say it was around seven but no yellow card and continued to throw tackles from behind like he did to Maguire. 

He’s the same every game. 

At times the ref allowed Liverpool to control the tempo. Milner was a ****ing joke on kicking balls away and that late lunge proved it exactly 

Firmino never once went for the balls punted to him. He simply stepped into Maguire every time. How he didn’t get at least a booking in that match I don’t know.

There was so much of Liverpool moving the ball away when they’d conceded a free kick that it had to be a tactic. Milner, Firmino, Mane and Gomez all did it. There wasn’t a free kick where if they could, Liverpool players kicked or patted the ball away to disrupt and delay. Ref was weak in stopping this. I’m not sure he was paying any attention to it at all. It’s becoming a trait of the top 6 clubs. Best players yes but also the best users of dark arts like this - probably because the refs are less likely to penalise them than the non top 6 opponents.

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

We should of gone early on Rondon,he would of been perfect,for us..With Vardy,or off the Bench

That's what I say - but the FT consensus seems to be anti... I think he would have been a good option. Let's see how he does at newcastle.   Vardy's game is spreed... he is 32.  WE have no cutting edge without vardy.  That is not a good state of affairs.

18 hours ago, TeaMen Tom said:

Without Vardy I think the focus needed to be on scoring off set pieces. And they went off-side on I think 3 out of 5 of them.  Unfortunate result but vs a top level side with an excellent and in form backline. Ghezall to me was the revelation. Obviously not as good as Mahrez but stronger, he actually defends and he hustles.   Team is getting better but slow starts continue to hurt them.  It was almost a guarantee that Liverpool was scoring early.

Fair play to Liverpool for this ...... usually you see the attackers take a position one or two yards offside, and as the free kick taker runs up the defence drop, but L'pool stood their ground and made us look a bit daft ...... It's a tactic I've never understood and L'pool seem to be the first to stop using it.

25 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

That's what I say - but the FT consensus seems to be anti... I think he would have been a good option. Let's see how he does at newcastle.   Vardy's game is spreed... he is 32.  WE have no cutting edge without vardy.  That is not a good state of affairs.

For a side with no big striker we do seem to cross a lot into the box - it's bread and butter for the Centre Halves ...... I'm sure Les Ferdinand would get 5 a game with the service he'd get from this side!!

14 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

For a side with no big striker we do seem to cross a lot into the box - it's bread and butter for the Centre Halves ...... I'm sure Les Ferdinand would get 5 a game with the service he'd get from this side!!

we are like a golfer with one club (vardy) in his bag.  Is nacho goings to  make it?- it is not clear and we need options.

Chilwell need to cross earlier and diagonal - like ricardo does - but we need more bodies in box - like liverpool - this suggest we need more fitness to start and finish with more energy - NB: this is feature eof our play that we have lost since Shakey went!.  Worrying

Ghezzal needs to gamble - when the ball goes down the left he sits back and watches - he should encroach on at the back of  18yard box

One more point - when we are overrun - we should find row z.  

Worrying

I could see Puels thinking with starting Gray up front but he simply isn’t strong enough to cause defenders trouble. Played some alright stuff first half but because we were so lightweight up front we helped make Liverpool look good.

Ian Nacho coming on helped change the game. Thought we dominated the second half and would’ve been worth a draw. 

The players dont don’t seem totally on each other’s wavelength yet either, but that’ll come in time

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

Decided to read through this thread and and there's the usual extremes.

The Puel out brigade seemingly revelling in our defeat is sickening and baffling to me, then I guess understandably we have Puels defenders.

Re yesterday I thought we played some excellent football at times with a couple of basic errors making it very difficult for us to get something out of the game which we arguably deserved.

IMO we are an improving work in progress and with the young exciting players coming through and being given a chance I personally find this very exciting.

The overwhelming response of the vast majority of fans at the final whistle said it all to me, vociferous applause and a rousing chant of we love you Leicester would not happen if we or Puel were shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

we are like a golfer with one club (vardy) in his bag.  Is nacho goings to  make it?- it is not clear and we need options.

Chilwell need to cross earlier and diagonal - like ricardo does - but we need more bodies in box - like liverpool - this suggest we need more fitness to start and finish with more energy - NB: this is feature eof our play that we have lost since Shakey went!.  Worrying

Ghezzal needs to gamble - when the ball goes down the left he sits back and watches - he should encroach on at the back of  18yard box

One more point - when we are overrun - we should find row z.  

Worrying

We certainly have a favourite driver!! I think Nacho will make it .... probably just needs a run in the side - which i'm surprised he didn't get with Vardy out.

We need a big man though, we float cross after cross in and it's crying out for a Sir Les  /Shearer type striker (even Deaney might do well and I'm not a Deaney fan!).

Yeah the opposite winger does need to gamble more, we seem light in numbers in the box when we cross it.

And yeah, sometimes row z is OK ..... but we do play it out very well from the back these days!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Decided to read through this thread and and there's the usual extremes.

The Puel out brigade seemingly revelling in our defeat is sickening and baffling to me, then I guess understandably we have Puels defenders.

Re yesterday I thought we played some excellent football at times with a couple of basic errors making it very difficult for us to get something out of the game which we arguably deserved.

IMO we are an improving work in progress and with the young exciting players coming through and being given a chance I personally find this very exciting.

The overwhelming response of the vast majority of fans at the final whistle said it all to me, vociferous applause and a rousing chant of we love you Leicester would not happen if we or Puel were shit.

Entirely agree ....

There was a weakness that hasn't had much criticism yesterday and that was Wes - Tried to jump but didn't leave the floor for their goal, an athletic CH would have nodded that clear, and was at the heart of most scares. Once we have one of the new young CH in I think we'll improve again.

All round though, a very positive performance, without our main striker against a very good side (built over 3 seasons and with ALOT of money spent)

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Entirely agree ....

There was a weakness that hasn't had much criticism yesterday and that was Wes - Tried to jump but didn't leave the floor for their goal, an athletic CH would have nodded that clear, and was at the heart of most scares. Once we have one of the new young CH in I think we'll improve again.

All round though, a very positive performance, without our main striker against a very good side (built over 3 seasons and with ALOT of money spent)

Exactly Waller, the lack of credit for their quality is because that doesn't fit certain agendas.

Despite the result, I personally enjoyed the game and there were many positives.  Once the CB area has an injection of pace and mobility, it will help with the pressing game Puel is striving to develop.  With Vardy and Soyuncu coming in, we will be fine and well clear of the bottom of the table, which should be our first objective.   Mendy is looking excellent.   No disgrace yesterday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Absolutely amazed at MOTD.

Normally they get it spot on but according to them yesterday was as comfortable as you like for Liverpool.

Even if their view was that Liverpool were comfortable (not true, of course), it's very odd and disappointing for them not to comment at all on one of the teams in a game, especially the game chosen as top billing. They even spent a bit of time talking about Newcastle, who contributed virtually nothing positive in their game against Man City. 

I'm really encouraged by lots of things at the moment. All of this summer's signings who have been involved so far have improved the team in my view. So well done to Puel for that and for getting the best out of Mendy who is like another new signing.

On the negative side, my concern is that we are great between the boxes but lacking at both ends. And do we actually practice set pieces? How many 100s of corners have we had since we last scored off one? Again the delivery was disappointing but we are also lacking many tall, physical players who can attack the ball.  

However, to end on a positive, I'm really excited about the prospect of Soyüncü starting in the team after the international break. It will mean we have a full XI who are comfortable on the ball, as well as added pace at the back. That pace will allow the whole team to press much higher, and thereby give greater support to Vardy and the other attacking players. It will also give us better cover for Pereira, who is not the greatest defensively but a very good technical footballer.

• Like 1

Bit of good fortune for their first goal where Maguire got a foot to the ball only for it to fall perfectly into Manes path.

Madison let Firmino go for the second.

Crazy goalkeeping led to our goal.

Other than that there was lots to be encouraged by from our young & still very much work-in-progress side.

I think we could learn a bit from the movement of the Liverpool front players who found space between the lines really well. 

Edited by Bablemikey

Saying their goals came from our mistakes. That's what you do when you attack,you force the opposition into mistakes. If nobody ever made a mistake there'd be no goals. Our goal came from an unforced error.

we didn't look good until Liverpool were 2 up,they sat back and let us play and stopped us when we got near the box. A lot of our shots were from outside the area. It was a comfortable win for Liverpool.

What I find worrying is how poor we are airially.we only played three players who can 

attack the ball with their head.

It manifested itself at Firmino's goal,Maddison was marking him but a simple stop start

left him scrambling, obviously inexperienced, why was he marking their c.f?

With good defenders like Simpson and Fuchs no longer in favour and Iborra unlikely 

to replace Mendy,I'm struggling to see an answer.

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Saying their goals came from our mistakes. That's what you do when you attack,you force the opposition into mistakes. If nobody ever made a mistake there'd be no goals. Our goal came from an unforced error.

we didn't look good until Liverpool were 2 up,they sat back and let us play and stopped us when we got near the box. A lot of our shots were from outside the area. It was a comfortable win for Liverpool.

The error by their keeper was not unforced. It was the result of good pressing which forced 2 of their defenders to pass the ball backwards, followed by quick pressing by Ian when the ball got to the keeper. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, notnow john said:

What I find worrying is how poor we are airially.we only played three players who can 

attack the ball with their head.

It manifested itself at Firmino's goal,Maddison was marking him but a simple stop start

left him scrambling, obviously inexperienced, why was he marking their c.f?

With good defenders like Simpson and Fuchs no longer in favour and Iborra unlikely 

to replace Mendy,I'm struggling to see an answer.

For the sake of defending set pieces, we need to sacrifie open play? Is that's your point?