Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Liverpool 2 post match thread.

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The error by their keeper was not unforced. It was the result of good pressing which forced 2 of their defenders to pass the ball backwards, followed by quick pressing by Ian when the ball got to the keeper. 

It wasn't good pressing, he had plenty of time to clear the ball, then he tried to do a Cruyff turn with a player up his arse. He had 2 or 3 chances to get rid of the ball. If Schimichael did that,nobody would be saying it was because the other side were so good. They say it was a stupid mistake.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, l444ry said:

Looks pretty much the same to me. Just a few different players doing things a bit quicker than last season. Early goals conceded, nothing much going forward and better showing in the second half.

That's what I feel is the difference. Maddison moves the ball quicker. We need move players like that. For it to work. But I feel there is a bit of progress.

At least we seem to have a way of playing again maybe we still need better players to make it work but I think you can see an evolution in the way we are trying to play.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Saying their goals came from our mistakes. That's what you do when you attack,you force the opposition into mistakes. If nobody ever made a mistake there'd be no goals. Our goal came from an unforced error.

we didn't look good until Liverpool were 2 up,they sat back and let us play and stopped us when we got near the box. A lot of our shots were from outside the area. It was a comfortable win for Liverpool.

Eh, mate who's a Liverpool fan said we were the better side for all bar the first 20-25 minutes, don't think you can call it that comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh, mate who's a Liverpool fan said we were the better side for all bar the first 20-25 minutes, don't think you can call it that comfortable.

There are Leicester fans on here saying we should have won and some saying we were terrible. What a fan says is no proof of anything.

14 hours ago, Guest said:

To be fair I doubt his pre-match instructions are "go out there nice and slow lads, I want you to give them the first goal and we'll see where it takes us". If it takes a goal for the players to switch on and start moving for each other that's not entirely his fault. He gets visibly wound up on the touchline when we aren't playing with intensity

Of course it his fault. He talks about wanting us to start strongly and with intensity but he can’t seem to be able to ignite that fire in the players belly’s from the start.

7 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Of course it his fault. He talks about wanting us to start strongly and with intensity but he can’t seem to be able to ignite that fire in the players belly’s from the start.

We had the same problems under Pearson, it's not a new thing for us.

4 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Lots of possesion again. But lacking end product. However it feels different from last season. There seems more purpose and positivity to the play. 

But we lack that cutting edge it seems strange we have a 3 playing behind a front may. Yet we don't have a front man who can hold up the ball and we can play off.

I feel this maybe the story of our season again however. Looking good against the better sides as they maybe happy to let us have the ball and hit on the counter as they have better players. Those sides that sit in but have lesser quality we may as fans get very frustrated again if we can't break them down.

Still loving madders he's an excellent prospect and probably the next player to be whored about by $ky.

And like the fact that Algerian winger mk2 has a bit of strength about him. Probably the 1 thing Ryiad lacked.

Still feeling reasonably positive but we need to find away of breaking teams down in the next 3 games.

Very good point. A point i'd put to the back of my mind and forgot actually.

So we've played well v Man Utd and Liverpool but lost then we have been questionable in games v Wolves and Southampton but won. We have also scored in every game which needs to be noted.

However is it any coincidence we've played better against Man Utd and Liverpool - For starters Man Utd are poor atm anyway, but play more openly and with freedom, allowing us to look better by going forward.

Liverpool I also think are fairly average despite everyone going crazy over them - I think they were average v Palace and if it wasn't for our negativity after getting a goal back yesterday I feel we could have got something from that game, but like my comments about Man Utd, I think one of the reasons we looked abit more better because again Liverpool can afford to play more open and freely, allowing us to get on the front foot.

Against the teams we should be looking to beat, we have looked quite poor, mainly because of our inability to break teams down.

We've played better against the better teams and struggled against the teams we should be looking to beat for a while now taking previous seasons into account.

The next few games will tell us alot certainly re improvements in comparison to last season, our next run of games I feel are similar (In difficulty level - I've just read someone say there are no easy games in this league which is true but there are games you should target picking points up) to the run after January last season where alot of people got frustrated.

40 minutes ago, Ricey said:

100% agree. He clearly tells the players to get on the ball from the start. Hence the potential cock-ups. Even Fleetwood ha a chance early doors. Most other sides get the opposition defenders turned and pressed until the game settles down.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2018 at 14:56, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Not many wins I don’t think. We fluked a few; Brighton away last season, same with Soton last week, could say we were fortunate against Wolves.

How many games in the last 8 months have we played well in and won?

Very very few. 

This was a good post of mine.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

Been away so only just come on here since the match and my word some weird posts as usual.  To me it seems pretty clear....  We started poorly and our game management was poor (to concede so close to half time) but we came back into the game well and certainly were the better team in the second half.  In terms of possession/shots/expected goals the stats were very close.  A draw would probably have been a fair result but one could argue either for a Foxes or Liverpool win with a decent, reasoned argument and actual facts and I would be happy enough to concede either way.  What, however, one cannot do is claim that either team was waaaaay better than the other and that one team deserved to win easily so it confuses me that things are, as always, so polarised on here.  We played OK, some positive signs (Mendy, good possession, Chilwell, etc) and areas needed to improve (terrible starts, switching off, game management, etc) but happy enough with the overall performance if not the result.  Nice to see Ben "He is the worst defender in the world" Chilwell doing such a terrible job on Salah that I barely even knew he was on the pith until he was subbed off.

We have lost against two of the teams that are aiming for top 3 and won against two of the teams around the bottom half of the table and sit in 8th which, unless you are genuinely mental, is probably about where we belong right now.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Very good point. A point i'd put to the back of my mind and forgot actually.

So we've played well v Man Utd and Liverpool but lost then we have been questionable in games v Wolves and Southampton but won. We have also scored in every game which needs to be noted.

However is it any coincidence we've played better against Man Utd and Liverpool - For starters Man Utd are poor atm anyway, but play more openly and with freedom, allowing us to look better by going forward.

Liverpool I also think are fairly average despite everyone going crazy over them - I think they were average v Palace and if it wasn't for our negativity after getting a goal back yesterday I feel we could have got something from that game, but like my comments about Man Utd, I think one of the reasons we looked abit more better because again Liverpool can afford to play more open and freely, allowing us to get on the front foot.

Against the teams we should be looking to beat, we have looked quite poor, mainly because of our inability to break teams down.

We've played better against the better teams and struggled against the teams we should be looking to beat for a while now taking previous seasons into account.

The next few games will tell us alot certainly re improvements in comparison to last season, our next run of games I feel are similar (In difficulty level - I've just read someone say there are no easy games in this league which is true but there are games you should target picking points up) to the run after January last season where alot of people got frustrated.

I understand what you are saying but......  against the teams we are looking to beat (including in the cup) we have beaten all the teams we are looking to beat.  X

6 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I understand what you are saying but......  against the teams we are looking to beat (including in the cup) we have beaten all the teams we are looking to beat.  X

I was including last season in what I was saying, notably that spell after January.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I was including last season in what I was saying, notably that spell after January.

Yeah to be honest you made some good points in your post, I didn't mean to be one of those people that read a long, detailed post and then pick out one small section they disagree with and highlight it as I find that dishonest but it just stuck out that, in general, we do beat the teams we should beat even if we huff and puff a little.  I think I read it as a failure to beat the teams whereas you probably meant more so a failure to play well and dominate and beat teams.  Our results have not been terrible (not great but not terrible).  Overall I am still in the "let's wait and see camp".  When we have our main striker back and figure out our best CB partnership and give the team a good few games together I think we will be in more of a position to assess where we are.  I am obviously generally quite an optimistic fan/poster but even if I try and look objectively I think there are lots of positive signs and many of our players have still only played a handful of games and a great number are under 25.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

If you think that then fair enough. As far as I'm concerned it's on the players to carry out his game plan from kick-off. There are a number of things you could reasonably use to criticise Puel but imo this isn't really one of them.

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

Saying their goals came from our mistakes. That's what you do when you attack,you force the opposition into mistakes. If nobody ever made a mistake there'd be no goals. Our goal came from an unforced error.

we didn't look good until Liverpool were 2 up,they sat back and let us play and stopped us when we got near the box. A lot of our shots were from outside the area. It was a comfortable win for Liverpool.

If you ask any of their players I don't think anyone of them would agree. That was a proper slog for them. 

• Like 1

With Vardy playing we'd have taken at least a point. Liverpool were poor barring the first 20 minutes. We gifted them two goals and apart from Mo Salah's chance Schmeichel had nothing to do that was anything like a challenge.

There were three major defensive mistakes, they were the beneficiaries of two.

That was the difference between a side tipped to win the league and the side that was favourite to sack it's manager first.

just remembered what a fan behind me was saying yesterday. All first half he was getting annoyed that Gray wasn't making a run. He was static and not like Vardy so fair enough, understandable criticism despite Gray and Vardy being 2 totally different players and Gray not being a natural striker.

Then, in the 2nd half, Gray makes a run behind Van Dijk or Gomez, Albrighton tries to find him but doesn't succeed, gets headed away.

The comment from behind me?

'No! That's too predictable, don't run there' lollol. Beggars belief!