Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Liverpool 2 post match thread.

Personally don't get the toothless in attack arguments. We were playing a very strong side who will almost certainly be in the top 3 and forced a few saves, particularly the one from Gray, Morgan could have easily scored and Maddison would surely have scored were if not for last ditch tackle, agree that was the case against United however. Any team in world football is not going to be as lethal without their 20 goal a season forward. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I have enormous faith in Puel, Not everything is going to work out, but the man thinks about the game, changes formations and positioning to make a difference.

I still swear that with the youth we have, this year will be an up and down season, but next year :)

Totally agree! I said in the Fleetwood postmatch board that the way we played Fleetwood last season and this season was such a stark difference. Some of our interplay was a joy to watch and given time and a couple of more signings, I think we will be a real top 6 force in a couple of seasons. We are going to have some off days, but we are developing a style of play that doesn’t depend on any single player and should see us playing consistently exciting football even against the top teams in Europe. Give Puel our backing and patience because I think he could be our Wenger. Transformed the way Arsenal played and in their prime were the team to emulate. The future is bright, the future is BLUE! :scarf:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Anyone slagging us after that can do one.

We could have drawn or won that.

The future’s bright.

Whilst I agree with you. Liverpool never really get out of second gear. Some of that down to us, but they controlled the first half completely. Second half we were much better but not enough end product. 

Sad to see the normal suspects putting us down after such a great performance. They really should consider following one of the top 2 teams - oh no, we just outplayed one them, they should consider supporting Barcelona.

Once more it’s took us going two down to start playing. On another day we get a point. But like last week where we didn’t deserve all 3, it’s wings and roundabouts. 

Maddison wants too long on the ball and needs to adapt quick. Gray isn’t a striker and that was more obvious than ever to see today. The last sub was absolutely baffling. I also have no idea why Nacho didn’t start. He looked good when he came on. Two avoidable goals, although from my seat the first looks like it has an element of luck to it. Second half was good and had we not given ourselves a mountain to climb against one of the best teams in the league, we might have come away with something. 

• Like 2

I like what Puel is doing. My only real complaint today were the substitutions. They killed the momentum.

I don't have a problem with sticking Gray up front either- he's going to need a few starts up top to learn the position, it won't happen overnight.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Once more it’s took us going two down to start playing. On another day we get a point. But like last week where we didn’t deserve all 3, it’s wings and Woundabouts. 

Maddison wants too long on the ball and needs to adapt quick. Gray isn’t a striker and that was more obvious than ever to see today. The last sub was absolutely baffling. I also have no idea why Nacho didn’t start. He looked good when he came on. Two avoidable goals, although from my seat the first looks like it has an element of luck to it. Second half was good and had we not given ourselves a mountain to climb against one of the best teams in the league, we might have come away with something. 

Fixed it 

2 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Think this is an important point. Iheanacho deserves a lot of credit, firstly for closing Alisson down and leaving him holding his d**k and secondly for taking his time, drawing in the defenders and then picking out a free player (shit myself when Ghezzal miss controlled it tbf). Would have been easy for Nacho to have snap shotted it and rushed the opportunity and seen it go to waste. 

I thought Ghezzal did really well for the goal. Could easily have been distracted by Maddison's effort to get it. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

I like Albrighton but playing him today was always going to be pointless. He kept looking into the box, more out of hope than expectation to see if someone would get in there because all he’s got is a good ball into the box. Playing Gray up top is fair enough if Puel wants to try it but he would have been better off playing Diabate and not Albrighton. 

I’m still fuming that we’ve bought Soyuncu, Benkovic and Evans yet still get subjected to that shite from Morgan. I’m starting to feel sorry for him, he’s quite obviously past it.

All ok stuff, lacked that final bit of quality.

Puel selection was a bit baffling, with gray up front, if I was picking the side, and playing with 1 up top, it has to be a striker, if I was nacho, I would be off, can’t start when vardy available, don’t start when he isn’t.

Result better than I expected, expect a inconsistent season with this young side.

I have no expectations this season, but next season could be promising.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Still baffled that we invested so heavily in defence, whilst we are still starting Morgan! - And, we didn't sign a striker. How on earth have we come out of a window and ended up with Gray starting as a sole striker against Liverpool. Very odd. 

Can't wait for Vardy to come back, but Puel also needs to show more faith in Iheanacho. Should have started today. 

Good point a about the defence. Soyuncu will be starting soon.

When I seen the lineup I had my doubts. I thought Ricardo would be weak in a challenge as a full back and so it proved. Amartey wouldn't have conceded that goal.

Gray hasn't master the wing yet so I fail to see the point in trying to make a CF out of him. Ineanacho  should have started up top.

We needed 3 in midfield from the start. 

We put in a good shift against one of the favorites so we can be reasonably happy. There's always room for improvement.

This is Klopps and Liverpools 3 season of development. Wait until Puel is that far into our project before being too critical.

We're showing all the right signs of improvement. Nothing that another window and time can't fix. 

Reading the reddit thread on the game, genuinely a Liverpool love in. Didn't think we were too threatened at all by them? They can turn on the style and do play well, but for big periods were fairly lacklustre. Nullify salah and mane and they seem quite lost.

We were massively unlucky 

Pretty pissed off in all honesty. First half our mistakes really gave Liverpool the advantage, we were toothless on attack, we had several glorious opportunities to score today and didn’t, we badly lack quality in front of goal when Vardy isn’t playing. 

Second half overall we were the better side, marshalled Salah really well and created the better chances.... Puels subs killed all of the momentum we had. 

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t like Maddison, I’m aware technically he may be better than Okazaki, and obviously younger, but I don’t think he has a sense much of a positive impact. He takes too long on the ball and often doesn’t make the right pass, I don’t think Vardy and him will make a good partnership. 

11 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

My point is, there's no real target to cross the ball to. We don't have that threat. 

That's the trade off having Vardy and playing to facilitate him. But Chilwell needs to get his head up and aim for someone, instead of aimlessly firing it across goal.

But we should have a target man in the squad. If only to bring on and try and score a late goal like today.

12 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I thought Ghezzal did really well for the goal. Could easily have been distracted by Maddison's effort to get it. 

Good tidy driven finish in the end but I thought he'd binned it at first. My heart skipped a beat. One of those goalmouth drama moments

Anyone slagging Maddison is genuinely insane. The kid is brilliant

i don’t really like Gray up front but you can see why he played for the pace and pressing up front. It didn’t really work but at least the theory made sense.

And Morgan won’t be there for long, it’s just that Evans is still not up to speed and Soyuncu isn’t fit. Everyone be patient cos we are good and the team is really young.

• Like 2

Another slow start. After Salah missing an easy chance after 6 minutes, that should of been a wake up call. Three minutes later more awful defending allowed them to score. Salah and Mane kept running between the full backs and centre backs and we couldn't cope with it.

Liverpool won without getting out of second gear.

To be fair in the seocnd half we were a lot better, for the first 25 minutes of it. Then we let the tempo dropped and lost control of the game.

Why bring Amartey on when you're 1-0 down? I know Ricardo went forward but why have 1 attacking player on the right instead of 2? Puel baffles me sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

That's the trade off having Vardy and playing to facilitate him. But Chilwell needs to get his head up and aim for someone, instead of aimlessly firing it across goal.

But we should have a target man in the squad. If only to bring on and try and score a late goal like today.

Watching today it was pretty obvious we'll struggle at the moment to score from any crosses however they are played especially from the position he crosses as it's often to slow and when defenders are in good positions. I prefer it when we cross early or when the Chill cuts in and plays to feet. Obviously cant do that all the time but it would be nice to see him vary his play more.