Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
northernfox321

Last 26 games

39 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Why do you stop at 26 games? Is that because before that we’d won four on bounce? 

Of those 26 games, nine were against top six clubs 

Last 30 games is 11wins, 6draws, 13 losses - pretty indicative of a club who’d finish around 9th/10th

The top 6 figure you raise in your defence of Puel doesn’t wash. That’s exactly the amount of times we would play any of the top 6 in a sample of games.

Also the 26 games are the most recent games; the more indicative of our current form.

I expect that’s why that is used in the argument?

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

3 minutes ago, northernfox321 said:

I don't expect them to win the league again,but the club really missed trick after winning league that should have laid the foundations for next 8 to 10 years to reach the next level,but they went wasted money on so many players not fit enough to wear the shirt

Just because we won the league doesn't make us automatically attractable. Liverpool haven't won the league since 1990 but a player would chose them over us.

We signed Slimani that year - this is the guy that wasn't good enough but is now the answer to our problems.

1 minute ago, northernfox321 said:

It's results game like any job if you don't perform you are out of a job.no excuse for not learning from his own mistakes he keeps making time time again  as a manager

Yeah and the people above the manager don't seem to learn from their mistakes of appointing managers that don't seem to be good enough. But these people are never accountable are they? 

Edited by Fox92
missed 't' off

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Just because we won the league doesn't make us automatically attractable. Liverpool haven't won the league since 1990 but a player would chose them over us.

We signed Slimani that year - this is the guy that wasn't good enough but is now the answer to our problems.

No one is saying Slimani was great, just that he'd a better fit for Puels system.

4 minutes ago, northernfox321 said:

It's results game like any job if you don't perform you are out of a job.no excuse for not learning from his own mistakes he keeps making time time again  as a manager

Maybe the club don't think he's not performing? Despite the end of the season, he finished higher with more points and goals scored than the season before.

The fans and club might have different outlooks on what is acceptable.

10 minutes ago, northernfox321 said:

I don't expect them to win the league again,but the club really missed trick after winning league that should have laid the foundations for next 8 to 10 years to reach the next level,but they went wasted money on so many players not fit enough to wear the shirt

What like building a new training facility and extending the ground with the cash.

• Like 3

Just now, NotTheMarketLeader said:

The top 6 figure you raise in your defence of Puel doesn’t wash. That’s exactly the amount of times we would play any of the top 6 in a sample of games.

Also the 26 games are

the most recent games; the more indicative of our current form.

I expect that’s why that is used in the argument?

The top six point is relevant because it’s not a fair split for comparison. A normal regular season - games against top six teams account for 31% of our season. In those 26 games, they account for around 35%. We’ve played Liverpool and Man U twice in that period.

But then I could say 30 games are our most recent games then? 26 is a huge group of games for recent form. 

I can see progression in our football... definitely much better with the ball and creating chances this season. The defence is worrying tho, for me Ndidi has been way too sloppy and needs to step up, Mendy has been very tidy but is still finding his feet. Those two are key in ensuring we’re not left exposed like we were yesterday, it was like watching schoolboys defending yesterday, really embarrassing.

Morgan is coming to his end and to put him in a position where he is more exposed is very concerning... I like what Puel is tying to do but he can’t persist with Morgan in this system especially with Maguire not quite looking up to speed.

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

History says it never boosts clubs. 

Forest, Blackburn, Everton have all won the league and it’s hardly led to a legacy there. 

Montpellier, Verona, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, Boavista, Deportivo La Coruna - all clubs which won their league against the might of their countries elite clubs couldn’t sustain it. 

You break the status quo - the big clubs bite back. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, northernfox321 said:

Don't know how jon Rudkin keeps his job he should gone long ago,what mistakes the defence for start is shambles play Liverpool at home play with no striker 

Rudkin just signs the players, he doesn't identify them or scout them. How can he be fired for signing the players he's told to? 

The defence? So coming into the season we have Maguire and Morgan as our only fit 2 CBs, Evans is carrying a knock, Soyuncu has only returned to first team training in last few weeks and Benkovic is young and needs time to adapt to the country. 

He must've been annoyed with how Nacho played in the last game or in training and gave Gray a chance up top, where he's played for the u21s. Don't make it seem like he's dropped a CM into CF Barca style, Gray has played across the front 3 at u21 international level 

Guest Col city fan
20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Fair play Col but there are actually people that think this way. "Oh we should be winning at Bournemouth". Why should we? They're a good side with a good manager. They've beaten Liverpool and Manchester United at Dean Court in their time in the PL. They finished 9th the other season.

All I’m saying is that when we lose, especially to the so-called ‘smaller teams’, a number of us churn out the old chestnut of ‘well we weren’t expected to win anyway’ and all that gubbins. 

I made the point yesterday...just look at the Bournemouth pre match threads and you’ll see that nearly everyone WAS expecting us to win. Unless people on here just say that City will win anyway (and I’m sure their are many like that), the general consensus was on the draw, or win.

Now that we’ve lost and lost heavily, the same people can’t then do a uturn in less that 24 hours and claim we were never going to win anyway.

Puel’s record isn’t good. Personally, I look at our squad now and expect that record to markedly improve. If it doesn’t, something is not working.

Interesting observation for those who were watching MOTD yesterday. When Morgan got sent off. Puel stood on the touch line looking like he wanted to say something to the skipper, and Morgan appeared to absolutely blank him. Play it back and you’ll see.

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

All I’m saying is that when we lose, especially to the so-called ‘smaller teams’, a number of us churn out the old chestnut of ‘well we weren’t expected to win anyway’ and all that gubbins. 

I made the point yesterday...just look at the Bournemouth pre match threads and you’ll see that nearly everyone WAS expecting us to win. Unless people on here just say that City will win anyway (and I’m sure their are many like that), the general consensus was on the draw, or win.

Now that we’ve lost and lost heavily, the same people can’t then do a uturn in less that 24 hours and claim we were never going to win anyway.

Puel’s record isn’t good. Personally, I look at our squad now and expect that record to markedly improve. If it doesn’t, something is not working.

Interesting observation for those who were watching MOTD yesterday. When Morgan got sent off. Puel stood on the touch line looking like he wanted to say something to the skipper, and Morgan appeared to absolutely blank him. Play it back and you’ll see.

Col I think he has until Christmas personally?  :dunno: good results he stays 

poor results he goes

a mish mash of results and he is probably here until the end of the season

despite not being a massive Puel fan I am desperate for him to turn things around - genuinely 

my immediate line manager at work wants us to lose game after game just to get him gone, can’t ever want or agree with that thinking

Edited by Bob Weasel Fox

53 minutes ago, northernfox321 said:

Well I don't expect to get humped 4-2 by Bournemouth would expected to have taken point at least,will you still share same viewed if they fail to beat Huddersfield,I feel they should have had at least another 2 to 3 points on the board

Depending on Everton’s result today 2/3 more points has us in the same position as we are currently, so you would be happy with a few more points but be in the same position? 

Yesterday was more about missed chances and a poor back line. But yes we should sack any manager that can't beat Bournemouth. 

Perhaps the add in the merc should stipulate applicant's need to be able to beat Bournemouth. Or perhaps have a clause in the contract where by if you lose to Bournemouth your contract is terminated without compensation. 

But as we are judging the manager on stats that fit our point I'll pick mine. 

Arsenal win

Spuds loss but really

Man u loss very un lucky deserved at least a point. 

Liverpool loss even Liverpool fans said we deserved Moore. So four of our last seven have been against top six sides. So would the Op care to point out which of those four games we was out played in. Also which one of the four we didn't deserve at least a point from. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Yesterday was more about missed chances and a poor back line. But yes we should sack any manager that can't beat Bournemouth. 

Perhaps the add in the merc should stipulate applicant's need to be able to beat Bournemouth. Or perhaps have a clause in the contract where by if you lose to Bournemouth your contract is terminated without compensation. 

But as we are judging the manager on stats that fit our point I'll pick mine. 

Arsenal win

Spuds loss but really

Man u loss very un lucky deserved at least a point. 

Liverpool loss even Liverpool fans said we deserved Moore. So four of our last seven have been against top six sides. So would the Op care to point out which of those four games we was out played in. Also which one of the four we didn't deserve at least a point from. 

But we didn’t beat Bournemouth.... I mean how often do we fail to beat Bournemouth...... hang on ....

can I add that yesterday we created more chances against them than I think we have in the previous six matches put together ! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

History says it never boosts clubs. 

Forest, Blackburn, Everton have all won the league and it’s hardly led to a legacy there. 

Montpellier, Verona, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, Boavista, Deportivo La Coruna - all clubs which won their league against the might of their countries elite clubs couldn’t sustain it. 

You break the status quo - the big clubs bite back. 

You're using the league performances only. Some of these clubs have had the opportunity to play in Europe on a regular basis, and their demise was also in parts down to incompetent management, corruption, bad finances, losing their best players to other teams or legal punishment. Also don't discount the fact that the amount of money involved in European competitions such as the Champions League (which didn't exist prior to 1992) or the Europa League has increased massively over the past ten, fifteen years. Money many of these clubs missed out because their respective success came before that new era.

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You're using the league performances only. Some of these clubs have had the opportunity to play in Europe on a regular basis, and their demise was also in parts down to incompetent management, corruption, bad finances, losing their best players to other teams or legal punishment. Also don't discount the fact that the amount of money involved in European competitions such as the Champions League (which didn't exist prior to 1992) or the Europa League has increased massively over the past ten, fifteen years. Money many of these clubs missed out because their respective success came before that new era.

Fair few of them also ended up in the lower leagues too

Either way none of them as provincial clubs managed to sustain the success. The European competitions money is largely irrelevant as their domestic rivals will/were still claiming the same money. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

That's why we play in seasons and not years.

We're 5 games in. We're 10th in the top flight. We're Leicester City ffs. Our record reflects the mid table average side we are.

I'm guessing you were one that was calling for Pearson's name after his half a season back here because we didn't finish top 6. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Why do you stop at 26 games? Is that because before that we’d won four on bounce? 

Of those 26 games, nine were against top six clubs 

Last 30 games is 11wins, 6draws, 13 losses - pretty indicative of a club who’d finish around 9th/10th

What are you guys on about? Is recent form not relevant now?

Our form before those 26 is largely irrelevant because most clubs have a new manager bounce when the previous one performed so terribly. Shakespeare had it after Ranieri and Puel had it after Shakespeare. By your logic we should have kept Shakey if you take his first 2 months into account. His 42% (38% in the league) win percentage is better than Puel's. 

Since the initial improvement we have been poor. The most recent evidence suggests we are going backwards, we have been hammered by minnows Palace and Bournemouth in the last 10 games and of the very few wins we've had this calndar year they've all been flukes in games which we have been categorically outplayed, Arsenal being the exception.

You're the ones twisting the facts to suit your argument, not him. If form carries on the way it's going we will be in the bottom half with top half of the table players. And even that wouldn't be awful if we were providing a modicum of entertainment, but we aren't, we are totally uninspiring and unless you're winning things that sort of football is unacceptable.

What's more we are stagnating season after season now and it's only a matter of time before that catches up with us. When teams are relegated everyone always asks 'where did it go wrong?'. Well I'm telling you; here is where it went wrong, appointing managers for no real reason and keeping them on for too long. If you're not progressing, you're regressing in this game, we have no ambition and therefore are a terrible waste of a football club at the moment.

Stop making excuses for this melt we call a manager, for the amount he's being paid he's basically an inanimate object. It's not that we aren't anything special, it's that we have no hope whatsoever of being anything special with him in charge.

• Like 2

I still don't buy the "we looked good against 'x' and should have won, but we didn't".

This team is the antithesis of our title winning team. We flatter to deceive. It's alright producing some nice passing around the midfield, or "nearly" scoring goals, but it's the results that matter, and I'm still to be convinced that we're any closer to actually producing a string of good results. We seem to have a soft underbelly; teams score against us with ease, and then sit back while we decide to show a bit of spirit and "nearly" make a come-back. Rinse and repeat.

I'm happy with the players we've bought it (and if that was down to the manager, then he does deserve credit for that), Maddison, Ghezzal and the re-birth of Mendy I think are all great prospects for our future. However, I'm still to be convinced by Puel. I'm not calling for his head - I think he should should see the season out at least - but a feeling of mild disappointment sums up his tenure so far. 

• Like 1